It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
(male)

IrishSaint HB User
am i having withdrawl???

hey ive been drinking for around 3 years. about 2 summers ago i drank constantly. it wasnt uncommon for me and my buddies to finish 3 or 4 bottles of liquor in one night. i dont drink that much anymore but for at least a year or so ive been drinking every weekend, sometimes a few days during the week too. usually consuming around 14-25 beers a night. this past week ive decided to quit drinking and ive been feeling really weird since. last weekend is when it started i felt really depressed and anxious and just felt in a fog and distant. i had a few mixed drinks with my friends but didnt even get much of a buzz out of it. lately the depression has continued and my skin is a bit paler than usual. i have no energy and i feel fatigued. and lately like i said ive been depressed and stuff. i have depression but for around a year or so ive been off medication and have felt alright overall. but the past week and a half my depression has come back. i was just wondering if this could be withdrawl. thanks for your time.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User
Re: am i having withdrawl???

Never been a heavy drinker,always mostly drugs for me. No matter what it does sound like alcohol related issues for sure.Certainly sounds like withdrawls. Hang in there and someone with more alcohol experience than I will talk to you about it. You made a big step deciding to quit.
Thanks for posting, keep posting and welcome to the board.

peace.
jerry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
(male)

IrishSaint HB User

thanks for the support man. yeah i feel its time to better myself so quitting is definitly a positive decision.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User

as jerry said - it certainly sounds like withdrawals. someone better suited to answer this will be along soon. take care and hang in there mate.

yoss

keep on keepin on

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Old 05-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
(male)

IrishSaint HB User

thank you for the support man.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSaint View Post
hey ive been drinking for around 3 years. about 2 summers ago i drank constantly. it wasnt uncommon for me and my buddies to finish 3 or 4 bottles of liquor in one night. i dont drink that much anymore but for at least a year or so ive been drinking every weekend, sometimes a few days during the week too. usually consuming around 14-25 beers a night. this past week ive decided to quit drinking and ive been feeling really weird since. last weekend is when it started i felt really depressed and anxious and just felt in a fog and distant. i had a few mixed drinks with my friends but didnt even get much of a buzz out of it. lately the depression has continued and my skin is a bit paler than usual. i have no energy and i feel fatigued. and lately like i said ive been depressed and stuff. i have depression but for around a year or so ive been off medication and have felt alright overall. but the past week and a half my depression has come back. i was just wondering if this could be withdrawl. thanks for your time.
Hello Irish,

The 14-25 beers a night will definitely take its toll on your body; actually drinking any alcohol excessively will attain these results.

A person's body builds up a certain tolerance to alcohol(if not taken in moderation), thus requiring increased amounts to attain the same previous effects.

The thing to realize here is that alcohol is a depressant; you may feel a false sense of security but this is only because of its effect on your central nervous system.

Once a person who constantly drinks decides to stop, it will effect them physically as well as psychologically.

Depending upon the situation, alcohol has been known to cause irreparable damage to internal organs.

At this point, I would suggest getting a complete physical (blood tests,etc.) and explain the entire situation to your primary physician.

Full disclosure is important because it is the only way they can fully assess your situation and treat accordingly.

Was your prescribing physician aware that you went off your medication?

To suddenly stop a medication for depression and begin ingesting a beverage that further depresses the system can easily compromise your system.

Withdrawals can be subtle or result in D.T.'s(delirium tremens) but no one will know the extent without being examined by someone qualified to do so.

Please speak with your physicians ASAP.

Take care.

Respectfully,

Phoenix

Old 05-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User

Irish,keep comin' back.
Read some posts here.Read ALOT of posts here. Theres alot of support and inspiraion that can and WILL help you thru this. I'm not gonna bullcrap you, it'll probably be tough,but with the right attitude and the right folks to support you, you can start enjoying your life again.

Good luck.

jerry.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:32 AM   #8
(male)

IrishSaint HB User

i think there was a misunderstanding, and its probaly my own fault for wording it the way i did. i didnt mean i drank every single night. i ment only like either friday or saturday. once in a while both and maybe every few weeks or so on a weekday. i wasnt a super hardcore drinker, but most weekends for at least a year. so i apologize for the misunderstanding. and yes my doc was aware of me getting off of my meds i told her that i didnt think they were helping and that i wanted to try it on my own again so she slowly reduced the doseage until i stopped taking it all together. thank you for the advice however. i am going to see the doctor tommorrow to figure out if this is all mental or if there are some physical effects. i suspect it to be all anxiety related with maybe a hint of withdrawl. ill let you know how it goes.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:34 AM   #9
(male)

IrishSaint HB User

thank you for the support jerry!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
(male)

IrishSaint HB User

im going on my 2nd week alcohol free. and i gotta say it feels pretty good. i feel like a new person without alcohol. and i feel like a better person.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
(male)

IrishSaint HB User

i havent had a drink in around 4 weeks and i was wondering if it would be ok to have a drink or two. does that seem like a good or bad idea?

Old 05-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
(male)

nickster0885 HB User

bad, its a terrible cycle do you really want to start it all over again?

Old 05-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
(male)

IrishSaint HB User

yeah i suppose thats true. but i dont think one or two arent gunna hurt.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Dynobot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSaint View Post
i havent had a drink in around 4 weeks and i was wondering if it would be ok to have a drink or two. does that seem like a good or bad idea?
BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most drinkers have a very real physical addition to the sugar found in alcohol which includes beer and wine. That withdrawal you feel is your body trying to get the glaucous and insulin levels back in order. I know because I used to be a drinker myself, off and on for nearly 20 years. Sometimes heavy others not so much but it was not until I began to understand what was really going on that I was able to stop drinking. Its been about 5 years now and I have no desire to drink what so ever, in fact once I understood what was going on and finally stopped all desire to drink was gone. Dont make your body go back through to it....just walk away and bring that chapter of your life to a close.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #15
(male)

IrishSaint HB User

i didnt really drink for that long though. only a few years. and it wasnt super heavily. like it would be a few times during the week sometimes and usually every weekend. its been alittle over 4 weeks now and i still feel weird. my depression and anxiety are back and i think it has something to do with the lack of alcohol. im getting alittle better but its still there. how long is this feeling going to last?

Closed Thread