It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
(female)

hydrohelp HB User
Sister wants me to go to rehab

She caught me stealing my mom's percecet. I do this when I run out of my own supply. I have been doing opiates for 2 years straight now. The thing I don't want to quit. I will go to rehab for my sister. But I am wondering if it will work if my mind set isn't in the right place.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
(male)

Friend999 HB User
Re: Sister wants me to go to rehab

Will it work? No

Should you want to quit? Yes

Why? The answer is on this site. Read, and you will see that most of the wonderful people on this site would wish to rewind the clock back to where you are.

Listen to your sister. She loves you. She sees you as you are, and wants you back to the old you. I'm betting the current you could not hold a candle to the old you, but, please believe this, you do not see this because the drug is manipulating your mind.

This is probably the harshied reply I have ever typed, and if you are offended, I'm sorry. Danger lies ahead. I'm asking you to try your best to bring your HEART to the forefront, overpower your mind. Listen to your sister.

Friend999

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello H,

If your mind isn't in it, then all you would be doing is buying time until you get out, to begin all over again.

You are in a position where you can do this because you want to; many others were not given this luxury.

Please look at your addictive behavior as a progressive cycle, which only gets worse with time.

How about doing it because you owe yourself a chance at a better life; a life filled with opportunity.

Take care....................... and be kind to yourself for a change.

Respectfully,

Phoenix

Old 05-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Hydro

Well, it is all on you, Friend. All on you.

But I am wondering if it will work if my mind set isn't in the right place.

If your mind is not set in the right place, then where is it? Enjoying chasing the high? Enjoying stealing from you mom? Enjoying your life being controled by some pills? Enjoying waking in the morning wondering about the high? Enjoying looking at yourself in the mirror and seeing an addict with nothing more in life?

That's some life. Why change it?

Your choice. If you WANT to change, then we are all hear for you. If not, then it is all on you, Babygirl. You can be your own best advocate or your own worse enemy in this. Make the call.

reach

Old 05-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TomsWife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrohelp View Post
She caught me stealing my mom's percecet. I do this when I run out of my own supply. I have been doing opiates for 2 years straight now. The thing I don't want to quit. I will go to rehab for my sister. But I am wondering if it will work if my mind set isn't in the right place.
I hope some of the replies dont scare you off. We dont bite (cant vouch for all the posters, lol) and truly mean well. There must be some seeds of hope for recovery or you wouldnt have posted here. I personally know 3 people that were court ordered for rehab and in no way, shape or form did they want to go. Nor, did they want to recover. One of the people is my brother who has 15 years of sobriety and the other is a good friend that has 6 years clean. My friend begged the judge for jail time because she would get out of jail sooner than the 28 days. Both said that something just clicked while they were there. I suggest you go, mabe to appease your sister and in the process, you'll be blessed with a "click" too! Come back and post some more. There are lots of knowledgable and compassionate people on this board.

Marilyn

Last edited by TomsWife; 05-16-2008 at 01:40 AM.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hydro

We came to this board close to the same time. Both of us were encouraged and helped by Buckeye Tim and Philster. Do you remember? Search your mind, Girl, and think about the words you wrote back then in December of 2006:

I am on day 10.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yesterday was great. My sister even noticed a change in me and asked if I was using because I had a "personality" as she said

You made it to Day 23 before we kind of lost what happened to you. Hydro... you were clean, your true personality was coming through again. You had put your mind to it and were doing it. You were proud of what you were doing.

Relapse sometimes happens. It is not the relapse that matters; it is what action we take when it happens. The mind set can be changed... we need to take an honest, hard look at where our lives are when we are using and abusing. We hurt ourselves, we hurt others. We throw away a lot of todays figuring tomorrow, perhaps, we will get our acts together. Perhaps. And suddenly the tomorrows are adding up to months and years.

Is your life really so great as an addict that it is not worth working on changing the mindset that will allow you to change your life? Have you forgotten all the reasons you made that huge effort? Please. Take some time to reflect and honestly evaluate what addiction is truly bringing you in life.

With hope
reach

Old 05-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #7
(female)

hydrohelp HB User

Thank you all for your posts. I am not afended by any of it. Some of your points really hit home. I am trying to cut down now. I do see the diference in my mind. All I think about is how am I going to maintain the high. I have been unployed for 6 months. If I spent as much time looking for work as I did looking for drugs I would have a wonderful job by now.
Again, I thank you all. I am trying now.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Hydro

It was good to read your latest post. Friend, I am not throwing stones at you when I post. We share addiction. I spiraled down so far at the end that I could barely think. When we are caught up in using and abusing, we still know somewhere in the back of our minds that something is really screwed up in what we are doing. It is just so easy to push those thoughts back down with another pill. Helps to keep our thoughts nice and confused and stuffed down.

When I first started to withdraw, I knew in my gut that if I did not finish the task, I would end up dead. Instinct was not my only clue. I finally had to face that my life had been reduced to barely functioning and being zonked on opiates and benzos. I began withdrawaing with my only thought being survival.

As time went on, I began to think a bit more beyond withdrawal. I started talking to my family doctor more and more. I saw him weekly for a long time. Then I began therapy with a licensed clinical social worker. It was intensive for a few months... twice a week And I found this board and began reading and posting. I read this board back soooo many pages... back a few years. I started taking in individual stories and found hope in tbe stories of those who made it. I started to see and understand what some were doing that worked; I saw what some were doing that did not lead them out of addiction. Like you, I was not working and so I spent my time learning all I could.

It was work, Hydro, a lot of hard work. But you know what happened along the way? My mindset changed, slowly but surely. It changed from just surviving to wanting to live a happier, fuller life. When that mindset came into play, things just began to explode for me. My days were not a torment in withdrawal for me any longer. When the withdrawal symptoms hit, I was able to endure them and understand them as just steps that I had to get through to get off the narcotics completely, to reclaim my life, to get where I wanted to go. I didn't like them, but I began to look at them more practically. I began to see each symptom as one more step out of the way to getting to the life I wanted.

Even when the tapers finally ended, I still had much to do working on thinking, on my life and how I fit into some grander scheme of living. I still work on that.. still seeing the social worker, although not as often. I am so much more balanced now, but still in aftercare. Aftercare for me now is not work on not using, but work on finding greater and greater balance in my life in all things. That is one of the greatest things about setting up a plan to detox and getting into sobriety and aftercare. It just naturally leads us to a mindset of wanting more and more of a full and happy life. The further I move along, the greater my desire is to go even farther. My desires are no longer just centered around being pill free... they are centered on finding trhe best in life and enjoying it, appreciating it, and being a part of it.

We are all works in progress, Hydro. Know that as you work to rid yourself of the hydro addiction, you are also working to find the life you are meant to lead. There is so much more to each of us here than just our addiction. However, we must get the addiction handled to let all those other parts develop.

Keep thinking, Hydro. Think and get a plan togeter that is workable for you and that includes aftercare. Life is waiting for you to become an active participant again. Happiness, true happiness is waiting for you. Claim it.

With hope
reach

Old 05-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
(male)

JohnG1971 HB User

Quote:
I hate to say this as well but here it goes.You haven't suffered enough.Things maybe haven't gotten too bad yet.You may still be able to function somewhat normally.This will all end in time.You're headed down a rough road if you continue.I started just like you and ended after 10 years lifeless on my basement floor from a heroin overdose.Thats what had to happen for me to stop.I pray you don't such drama

Old 05-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #10
(female)

hydrohelp HB User

I am waiting for a bed to open at rehab. They will call my sister when this happens so I don't back out again. I had a wake up call the other night when I found out my addiction could ruin my sister. I am in debt up to my ears from credit cards from buying on line. Now I found out they could lean the house my sister and I invested in together. This is it. If i hurt myself that is fine. But when I hurt those that love me, I can't do it. I am going to kick this thing.
Thanks for your concerns. Reach, I rmember Buckeye Tim. I hope he is ok.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:34 AM   #11
(female)

hydrohelp HB User

I go into rehab at 3:00 est today. I am so scared. Thank you all for words of encouragement. Wish me luck!

Old 05-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hydro!

What an exciting day for you!

I wish you much more than luck.. I wish you lots and lots of hope, Friend. I know it is scary, but even more than that, it is hopeful. Take the hope with you and within a few days, it will far outweigh any remaining fear.

You will be in my heart and prayers as you work in rehab. We will all be here waiting for you. Work hard, believe, and let the restoration work for you.

Every best wish
reach

Old 06-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #13
(female)

hydrohelp HB User

I got out Sunday! It was rough for a few days but so far so good. I am going to a meeting tonight. If going to a detox place doesn't work nothing will.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

TomsWife HB User

Quote:
I got out Sunday! It was rough for a few days but so far so good. I am going to a meeting tonight. If going to a detox place doesn't work nothing will.
Just wanted to say a quick hello and congrats. Your on your way! Let us know how your meeting goes!
Feels good to be clean huh?

Congrats!
Marilyn

Old 06-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #15
(male)

Friend999 HB User

Hydro,

You said: "If going to a detox place doesn't work nothing will."

Going through detox at a "detox place" can be a very successful way to go, but if it doesn't work, believe me, there is still hope. You are doing good, and we are all proud of you. BUT, IF something happens, you can still beat this. I really don't want to bring up any negatives, but staying clean is a process, not a one time shot, and if it doesn't work, one should not give up assuming nothing will work.

My very best to you,

Friend999

Closed Thread