It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
(male)

dorskin HB User
3 days off Oxycontin, How much longer??

I am a new member here and I decided to stop taking Oxycontin, Percocet and marijuana. I was taking up to 120mg Oxy/day for the last 3 months. With 7.5mg percs for breakthrough pain. I am on day 3 and am wondering if anyone might be able to tell me how much longer I can expect to feel this way. The flu like symptoms, yawning, shakes and sweats are driving me crazy. I've joined NA looking for support and my family has been wonderful.

More information needed?? Let me know

Thanks so much
d

Old 05-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User
Re: 3 days off Oxycontin, How much longer??

First of,welcome to the board and congratulations on the 3 days!
it is only going to get better from here, when I came off of oxys it too 3-5 days to start to get over the wd's, and then another several weeks to really start to feel normal,but you are over the hump,the first 3 days i think are the absolute worst.
You need to congratulate yourself,3 days rocks!

be strong,you're almost there! You will be smiling again soon!

good luck,post often and read much.

jerry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
(male)

niap HB User

Good job!

If your having problems sleeping try benadryl. Other than that vitamin b-12 and lots of water is the ticket! Although stopping all three at once is a severe shock to your nervous system. Keep us informed on the outcome!

niap

Old 05-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
(male)

dorskin HB User

Thanks for the kind words Jerry and Niab, I am out of the heavy wd right now, just have a terrible headache and some body ache. I have been drinking Chamomille tea at night to help with the sleeping, which worked well last night. I have been slacking on the water intake, just haven't felt right.

I will keep you all posted and thanks again

d

Old 05-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User

dorskin,so very,very cool...
please do hang in there and keep us posted.

you know its only going to get better from here. You are over the worst of it. be prepared for some sleeplessness and maybe some rls,but you are over the hump! be so very proud of yourself!

Rootin for ya...*smile*

jerry.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Hi Dorskin,

Congrats on making it this far. You are almost over day 4 so you are getting through the worst of it. It took me a few weeks to feel human again. I had a lingering low grade fever, fatigue, loss of appetite and the runs for weeks. After that, depression and cravings set it. Maybe it won't for you, but be prepared - it does seem to come with the territory. Just hang in there and remember you are doing the right thing to get your life back, and while it may not seem like it right now, things do get better..Keep doing what you're doing - Some Advil and Imodium should help.

Best wishes!

JB

Old 05-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
(male)

dorskin HB User

Well Im at the end of day 4 and I am doing fair. The headaches and runs are in full tilt.......no more shakes, hot/cold flashes are gone and the Mrs is soo happy. My moods were way out of control and we had a counseling session that went really well. I was open about what was going on with me and the bad decisions I made while in my 'haze'. It feels great to know that I am finally past the worst and starting to get my life back. I will post back here tomorrow and keep you all posted.

Your words are really helping me and I thank you all for the support. More to come.....I'll be in touch.

d

Old 05-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User

Dorskin,great news, man.
You are so doing this. Be very proud as we all know what a tough nut to crack this is.

The prize at the end is so worth it,tho, isnt it? *smile*

continued good luck to you, you're doing well. keep it up.

jerry.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
(male)

dorskin HB User

DAY 5

The headache is getting less and less, which is great. I am feeling a lot better today, aches continuing to get weaker. Unfortunately the pain I got on the pills for in the first place is starting to return. I am taking ibuprofen to help with this and getting up and walking around is helping as well. Sitting in front of a computer all day is not doing my sore back any good. I try to get up every 30-45 minutes and walk around, stretch. It helps but its still pretty tough.

Well back to the grind, I'll check in later. Thanks for all your support

d

Old 05-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User

Remember the hot baths! Epsom salts in the water works wonders.
I'm a procrastinator, but any little bit of exercise helps big,too.

Try and stay up as much as you can during the day so you can get some kind of a sleep regiment going. Get some vitamins in you and try and eat healthy stuff...this all adds up!

You're doing really great. Keep up the good work.

jerry.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
(male)

dorskin HB User

Thanks Jerry, I am picking up the Epsom salt tonight and the Mrs gave me a couple prenatal vitamins. Heheh I guess they will work. I am walking more and more with minimal pain. Tonight will be the walk with the wife and dog. Hopefully he tuckers before me, basset hound, so I might be in luck.

I am in much better spirits though. I told my Drs of my desire to be off the narcotics as well so hopefully he doesn't prescribe any. I heard Toporol(sp) works really well and doesn't have the addictiveness of the oxys, percs and so on.

Jerry- Thanks much for your support man, its really helping.

Take care
d

Old 05-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

You can take Sominex to help you sleep, Tylenol for aches and pains, and Immodium for gut cramps etc

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User

You're more than and very welcome.
I cant believe the spirits you are in after only such a short time off of oxys...took me much longer.

Kudos to you,my friend.

Keep us posted.

jerry.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #14
(male)

dorskin HB User

Day 6

Good morning. Last night was the best nights sleep I've gotten in a long time. The meds were causing panic attacks in the middle of the night for the 4 months I was taking them. I only took .5mg of Xanax on that 2nd night and have gritted it out the rest of the nights. I want to 100% free of mind altering narcotics and feel that I am on my way. I was eating a regular meal last night as my appetite has returned. I dropped a total of 22lbs, on a 300lb man its a drop in a bucket, but it definitely feels like I'm getting better. Tonight we will be starting the Indiana Jones movies leading up to the newest one, in the theater, on Monday. I can't wait and it feels great to be able to interact and be part of the family again.

The upset intestinal track is slowing down. I am drinking a lot more water and its not racing through me. I am taking the vitamins and had the bath last night (good call Jerry, felt great) I have more meetings this weekend, lunch today and tomorrow evening. Really nice people there too that are supporting as well.

Thanks everyone, I am happy to be out of the hell I was in. I will check in from time to time this weekend and update my progress.

Happy Memorial Day

d

Old 05-24-2008, 01:26 AM   #15
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User

You are so well on your way, I am so very proud of you;I know how this is not an easy thing at all.You're doing so well, hang in there and know that it just keeps getting better and better and the smiles come more often and last longer...*smile*

keep us posted.

jerry.

Closed Thread