It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Dan_the_man HB User
Need some advice. Failed Insurance Exam due to Cocaine

Hi all,
Well I have had a cocaine problem for a couple years and finally admitted it to my wife and have started to see a counselor and will be attending meetings.
Recently I just failed a medical test to get some health insurance and now I really feel down. I don't know how I will redeem myself or if I can. I am now staying clean and want to get past all this but I know it will be alot of work and I am up for it.
The failing of the Insurance exam was a great blow to myself and my wife. Can anyone give me some guidance or information on what to do next as far as re-applying for health Insurance? I know that now it is on record and don't know if I can apply again or what to do. If anyone can share some advice I would be greatly appreciated. I just want to get better and straighten up my life...thanks for listening.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Need some advice. Failed Insurance Exam due to Cocaine

Hi Dan

Sorry to see that such a serious problem has come your way with the insurance issue. Any of us would be worried if that should happen. I am glad, though, of your concrete steps to get the cocaine problem worked on. Congratulations on telling your spouse ( Boy! is that a roadblock for many of us!) and for working with counselors.

As far as reapplying for the insurance, I don't have a concrete answer. If it were me, I think I would hit the issue head on by simply calling the insurance company and asking what it will take. They are the ones who will be able to give you the most definitive answer.

When I signed up many moons ago for a life insurance policy, I was listed as a smoker and a higher premium was applied to me. I asked my doctor what it takes for someone to no longer be assesses higher if smoking was stopped. He said, "A lot of documentation." This makes me think that documentation of your work to overcome cocaine with professionals will be of great value in time to come.

I wish you all the best in your efforts. While the insurance is an upsetting issue for sure, working your way into a solid recovery will resolve lots of issues. I do hope the insurance is one of them.

Best wishes
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TomsWife HB User

Hello,
I know abit about this. Most companies that you turn up positive for drugs dont let you reapply. Some do, some dont. Some some make you wait x amount of time and then you may have a waiver that would be placed on your policy IF you are accepted. Any drug related diagnoses will be excluded. My suggestion is to get clean and reapply with another company. The first company cant disclose any information to any other company.

A lot of people make another mistake when going for the physical to get qualified. I cant post now about it but will post later on my other break.
Hope this helps some.
Marilyn

Old 05-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Dan_the_man HB User

Thank you both for your support. Yes it has been very difficult. I was the hardest thing I had to do, telling my wife about it but something I felt she deserved to know and I also just wanted to get it out in the open and start on my recovery. Like my wife said, it just doesn't seem like something I would ever do or become. But it happened to me and I realized it can happen to anyone also...
Marilyn, thanks for the info. I plan on making sure I am clean for about another month to make sure and then I want to go get a test to make sure I am clean then maybe try and reapply at the same place or find some others.
Is it really true that Insurance Companies cannot give that information out to other companies? The thing my wife said was that they will probably ask you if you have done drugs, I guess now I would have to say yes, otherwise if I said no and they were able to check I would be considered lying. Boy what a mess this has really turned into for me. I made a mistake and just want to redeem myself and be honest again. Any more information or support is surely welcome and thank you in advance for all your help. Dano

Old 05-23-2008, 04:29 AM   #5
(female)

diamondgirl19 HB User

It would be a violation of privacy if the insurance company were to give your info to anyone. So you could potentially apply for insurance again once the coke is out of your system completely.

When my husband first applied for insurance approximately 8 years ago, he was a smoker. We were able to get insurance but we had to pay smoker's premiums (which are much higher). We were told if he ever quit smoking, we could get him reevaluated once he had stopped for 2 or 3 years (I don't remember which). I do believe they have since changed it to 5 years.

So my husband quit smoking and we wanted to get the new test because the difference between smoker and non-smoker is huge. But it had only been a year but we figured how will they know if it's 1 year or 3 years. Our insurance agent is a good friend of ours. He told us to never lie on our application. If something were to happen to my husband and the insurance company were able to determine that he smoked longer than he disclosed, the insurance company wouldn't have to pay out on the policy.

I don't know how this relates to drugs. If they ask about your previous drug use and you lie, they may not honor your policy when you die or become disabled if they find out. Now I don't remember if they asked us about previous drug use because my husband and I both experimented quite a bit when we were younger.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TomsWife HB User

Hi Dan,
Yes, it is true, they cant disclose any information to another insurance. There are laws that protect us. Even if they wanted to its impossible. There is no database so to speak that information is stored in for other to see/share. Think of it this way, if you go to buy a new car at a dealership, how would another dealership know you already got a quote from another locationdealership?
As far as what you disclose on future applications, I cant help you with that. Its your call one way or another. The first thing that came to mind after I read your question ws, who really hasnt used some kind of drugs/alcholo in thier lifetime? Surely there are people that havent but I think those of us that do/did out weigh those that dont. I dont know where I am going with this, just that it got me thinking.
If your nervous about the application while the sales rep is there, maybe you could break the ice by saying, "Well, I did smoke a joing once but I didnt inhale". LOL. Good luck with what ever decision you make about that. Your going to be just fine.

Oh and another thing. I knew this because of my career but my husband didnt. When they booked the appt for the nurse to come and draw blood, they did not tell him to fast for 6 hours. The man had a steak dinner, potatoes and a glass of wine (he's not a alcoholic/addit) an hour before the blood test. His cholestoral (sp)was threw the roof and he does not have a problem with that. The quote for the premium because of the elivation was up there! I was out of town when this all happend and made them take another test, he fasted, and the results were fine. So, remember to fast and or ask them questions!

Marilyn

Closed Thread