It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
(male)

jamesoc73 HB User
How long does Suboxone block other opiates?

Hello. The reason I ask this is because I have been on a low dose of Suboxone for about 2 weeks (2mg or less). I took a Vicodin for breakthrough pain last night, about 12 hrs after my last 1mg of Suboxone and it did'nt work. How long does the blocking effect last? Is it the Naloxone or the Buprenorphine that actually blocks?

Thanks

Old 05-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
(female)

CowboyLady HB User
Re: How long does Suboxone block other opiates?

I don't have the answer as far as how long the block lasts, but I can tell you that it is the nalaxone (narcan) that does it. It is an antagonist to the opiates (agonist) Good Luck

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-27-2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: removed quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

g8trgrl15 HB User

suboxone is a long lasting medicine. It takes about a week or 2 to really get out of your system. And if you take anything else with it... it doesn't work. And cowboy is right - it's the nalaxone that is the blocker. You can take subutex and it won't block anything else you take..

Hope this helps..

g8trgrl

Old 05-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
(male)

slumber1 HB User

I've been on suboxone for about a year & have never heard of it taking a week or 2. 72 to 96 hours is a bit more acurate I think. I had a falling off at one point but was not able to feel a thing for 4 days. After that it was same as it had always been. It seems different for different people. I have seen some say 48 hours, but it was 4 full days for me.
Fortunately my relapse only lasted a few days & I have been good since. DO NOT take sub within 24 hours of taking hydro-like pills. That was a really bad day!

Old 05-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
(male)

jamesoc73 HB User

Just wanted to let you guys know my experience. It was at least 72 hrs before I could even feel 2-3 7.5's at a time and still I could BARELY feel them. I took them for about 4 days and went back to Suboxone. So in case anyone is wondering it messes you up. I just switched back 2 days ago and now have to adjust to the Sub again. This was just an experiment basically. I wanted to know what would happen and how I would feel. Well the conclusion is the nalaxone (spelling) definately blocks all opiates even at very low doses (1mg a day)

Old 05-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
(female)

kellibear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyLady View Post
I don't have the answer as far as how long the block lasts, but I can tell you that it is the nalaxone (narcan) that does it. It is an antagonist to the opiates (agonist) Good Luck
the bupenorphine is what blocks other opiates because it has a higher binding affinity--it sticks to the receptors and won't let other opiates bind, the naloxone was added ONLY to deter iv use. subutex blocks exactly the same way and has no naloxone in it.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
(female)

kellibear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8trgrl15 View Post
suboxone is a long lasting medicine. It takes about a week or 2 to really get out of your system. And if you take anything else with it... it doesn't work. And cowboy is right - it's the nalaxone that is the blocker. You can take subutex and it won't block anything else you take..

Hope this helps..

g8trgrl
this is not true!!! ask any sub dr. i started on suboxone but had to switch to subutex because of severe headaches. BUPENORPHRINE is the blocker--naloxone was added to suboxone ONLY to deter iv use. you cannot take other opiates while on subutex--they are blocked! i don't know how this mis-information gets out there! <removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-30-2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 05-31-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
(female)

kellibear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod-anon View Post
Please share information in your own words. Please do not direct members to do searches outside of Healthboards. Members come here for support and advice, not to be told to go elsewhere to find answers.
sorry about that--i just meant to say that i did alot of research on sub because this is a very complex drug for complicated people, and if we're going to take it--we owe it to ourselves to be very educated about it. the net is not the only place either, my dr. was a great source of info also. peer support is the best though, because only we know what we are going through.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User

kellibear is absolutely right. the naloxone was only added to deter iv use. it has no effect whatsoever on the receptors, the sub binds to the receptors and blocks any effect of opiate use.
also, i would say that because the half life is 36 hours, you should begin to feel only a slight effect after three days, and more and more after that. depending on how much sub you take.

the effect you describe when you take sub right after taking opiates is precipitated withdrawl. when you start on sub, you have to be in mild to moderate withdrawls or you will go into precipitated withdrawls because the receptors are being used by the opiates. the receptors have to be open to recieve the sub, or you'll be in a heap of pain. ugh !!!

hope this helps.

michelle

Old 06-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #10
(male)

jamesoc73 HB User

Well is it the Buprenorphine or the Nalaxone?

Old 06-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #11
(male)

slieye HB User

Just so you know... most of the people that I've read are WRONG! Buprenorphine is the blocker. It has a mean... meaning AVERAGE half life of 37 hours... but, if you have a fast metabolism, it's about 19-20. I have been able to feel other opioids a day after dosing with suboxone. The naloxone in suboxone has a mean half life of 6 hours, so it has no blocking effects after the time you've waited. Also, the naloxone in sub is useless. They put it in there to stop people from injecting it, but.. the binding affinity of bupe is much higher than naloxone, meaning the naloxone cannot rip it out from the receptor to stop its action. The only thing i'd worry about if I were you would be not to take suboxone for AT LEAST 24 hours after taking a true agonist. The bupe WILL rip any other true agonist out of the receptor, precipitating withdrawal. Go ahead and take what you have... you'll be fine.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesoc73 View Post
Well is it the Buprenorphine or the Nalaxone?
the buphrenepherine.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #13
(male)

jamesoc73 HB User

I have taken hydro and Sub within' a 24 hour period and had no problems. I have legit pain issues so i had to take hydro within the recommended time frame. No problems. You just don't feel anything from the hydro. This was my experienece for at least 2 days after.

Closed Thread