It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
(male)

hurtinbad HB User
Question 3 weeks off oxycontin 480mg a day how much more suffering?

I dont want to discourage anyone who is quiting or wants to. The first 3-6 days are by far the worst. However I took a lot and had been for 4 years.The last year I was out of control doing 480mg a day or 6 80's. I want to know how long until I feel normal? I feel aweful still. I want at times to give up but ive come so far. I have legit pain but I must say Id rather suffer the pain then the side affects this aweful drug gave me and I strongly warn anyone to not take pain killers unless your practicly dying, my opinion. This 4 years of hell was not worth it. please help. The depression,and other side affects are still very bad.I just want to know when this ride is over so I can remain strong and not go back ever again. I want to add I went into treatment and did suboxone for 2 weeks. So today is a week clean,off them too. I felt ok on suboxone and I think now im WD off of them how long will all this take?

Last edited by hurtinbad; 05-23-2008 at 11:42 AM.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
(male)

niap HB User
Re: 3 weeks off oxycontin 480mg a day how much more suffering?

Everybody is different so you really cant pin point a time were you will feel"normal" again....Just remember it is all mental......Good luck,

niap

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Hurtin

I know how bad it can be, Friend, and I am sorry you are suffering. Coming out of the depression and the symptoms abating comes in stages. At first, the improvements are small and it is easy for us to overlook them and fall into further despair thinking no progress is being made.

As I first started the journey off, I journaled. Nothing flowery, no prose, just times and facts. One of the really bad symptoms of depression for me was crying... I would be wracked with uncontrollable crying for hours on end. I would journal each episode and how long it lasted. ( This was only one of the things I kept track of). As the days went by, I was able to see in black and white that each episode began to be a little less long. Even if my own emotions would not let me feel the progress, there was no denying the proof of my progress in my own handwriting.

There are also things we can do to help push the recovery from the depression along. We need to push ourselves into some activity even though our brains and bodies don't want to do it. I journaled this also. If I made myself take a walk, even justtwo houses down, bingo! into the fact journal it went. When I read backwards, I could see that I walked a bit longer , maybe a couple of times a day as time went on.

Honestly, I would say that for me, depression had a really tight grip on me, in that I was pretty non-functioning, for about six weeks. After that, the progress started happening more and more quickly and the improvements became apparent even to me without having to read my journal. I had a mantra going that my doctor gave to me... "I am getting stronger and better every day." And I took it to heart. I began to look at every crummy symptom as a healing taking place in my body as it worked to restore itself.

Another thing that I have found very helpful concerning depression ( which has been an issue long before coming off drugs) is the use of a full spectrum lamp. I was skeptical at first when my therapist suggested it, but the investment was not huge. It was about $50 online. I keep it on my computer desk like a regular lamp because I spend time here each day. Then, for fifteen minutes each day, I take off the glasses, close my eyes, turn thre lamp towards me, and let the light hit my face directly. You now what? It really has made a difference for me. It is equivalent to having real sunlight hit us and can really lift the mood.

I won't tell you not to feel bad, because if you could, you would. What I will tell you is that this will all abate and fade. It truly will.

reach

Old 05-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Hello Hurtin'

I agree with Niap...alot of withdrawal is mental. If you tell yourself you're going to feel better, then you will feel better. If you tell yourself you're just going to sit on the couch and feel rotten, you'll feel rotten.

It takes alot to come to terms with addiction, and even more to decide to get clean.

So, just remember why you've decided to do this, and keep telling yourself you CAN do this, and you WILL do this.

All the best,
emsmom

Old 05-27-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
(female)

kellibear HB User

a general rule of thumb i heard in treatment was that for how ever many years you used, it will take that many months to feel better. if you used for 4 years--it will take 4 months. but everyone is different. low dose naltrexone is supposed to help paws by increasing endorphin production 300&#37; faster, DLPA is an amino acid that also helps endorphins, a good amino acid complex will really help. gaba, 5htp, samE, a good multi-vit, b-complex, malic acid, magnesium, and hgh dopa 400 is supposed to help--<removed>. we have to build our bodies back up after the hell we put them thru in active addiction. i'm tapering off sub right now, and i am definitely going to try the LDN. i already started all the other stuff and i really can tell a difference. some of the supplements i started for fibromyalgia--but they all help when detoxing!! hope that helps!

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-27-2008 at 11:36 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Closed Thread