It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TomsWife HB User
Question What exactley is Sub?

Hello,
I've been reading about this and would like to know more of what it is. I am assuming its an opiate that does not give you a high? Is it like the medication for alcoholics, Antibuse? I belive antibuse is taken daily and if you consume alcohol it makes you deathly sick.
If you no longer use/abuse opiates, why would you need another opiate? As you can see, I know nothing of this med and would like to find out exactley why people take it. Why do some people either quit cold turkey, or taper while others take sub?
Thanks,
Marilyn

Old 05-26-2008, 04:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User
Re: What exactley is Sub?

i suppose you could say it is similar to antibuse - kind of. People take it to taper rather than go C/T.

Subutex/Buprenorphine is an opioid that is used to wean people off their addiction to stronger opioids such as morphine, diamorphine (heroin) and methadone. It is prescribed as a substitute for such drugs. By acting on the same opioid receptors as other opioids, buprenorphine prevents the physical withdrawal symptoms that occur when these drugs are stopped. This prevents physical cravings. Over time, the dose of buprenorhpine is gradually reduced until it can be stopped completely.

Buprenorphine is only suitable as an opioid substitute in people who are moderately dependent on other opioids. This is because in addition to stimulating opioid receptors, buprenorphine also blocks them. In people who are dependent on high doses of opioids, this can cause withdrawal symptoms when the buprenorphine is started. For this reason, in people highly addicted to opioids, the daily opioid dose should be reduced gradually before therapy with buprenorphine is started.

I suppose its the same in the respect that some alcoholics take antibuse rather than go CT.

hope this helps

yoss

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TomsWife HB User

Thanks Yoss. Your definition helps. What I dont understand is that if wd's are inevidable, why not go through them from your drug of choice rather than starting something new? I am guessing its the cravings but sooner or later............ Heck, I know people that have lots of years in AA and although they are not frequent, they get a craving here and there. They just dont act on them because of everything they have learned. I guess I must still be missing something.
Thanks!
Marilyn

Old 05-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

mk7657 HB User

I don't want to steal Yosses thunder. He is a gifted man that brings great insight and support to this board.

Supposedly, from what the psychologist told me, the sub is controlled by the doctor and gives the addict time to get congnitive behavior training... In the end, however, withdrawals from sub are as bad as any opiate, imho. The jump off can be easier because of a doctor-supervised taper?

I considered sub or methadone after four months of PAWS and relapses. I am glad that I didn't go through with it.

mike

Old 05-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
(female)

diamondgirl19 HB User

There are definitely withdrawals when stopping sub, however, they are nothing compared to what I experienced when stopping Percocet. Sub was a life saver for me. I think the key is to try to stop asap. I think the longer you take it, the harder it becomes to stop. And those of us that are taking it are addicts and we can become dependent on anything. While everyone experiences something different, I never felt the depression when I stopped. And because you don't get high from sub, I didn't feel the need to wake up and take it first thing in the morning.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TomsWife HB User

Thanks for all the responses. I have a much better understanding of Sub now. I guess, like everything else, somethings work better for others in stopping addiction. What works for some may not work for others. Like for me AA is helping me, and others use/have a different program. Whatever it takes right?

Thanks again,
Marilyn

Old 05-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User

cheers mk

tho i must confess to a slight 'cut n paste' for this thread

the title of 'gifted' makes me feel somewhat a charlatan now!

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Closed Thread