It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
(female)

diamondgirl19 HB User
Antidepressant vs. Suboxone

I have been taking antidepressants and suboxone since the beginning of April. When I first went to doc in full withdrawals, I was so emotionally distraught. Doc felt pretty strongly about starting me on subs. The problem is that since I have started both, my desire and now my need to take the subs has increased. I saw my doc today and was completely honest. I have been completely honest with him all along. I asked him to increase my dose of sub (4mg) and he refused. He did increase my dose of Lexapro. I asked him how do I know if Lexapro is working. He said that my desire to use more sub should decrease. I was a little confused by that answer. Do antidepressants help to fight addiction or do they help to fight the symptoms of withdrawal? Does anyone have any similar experiences to share?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
(female)

martha54 HB User
Re: Antidepressant vs. Suboxone

Hi Diamond Girl,
I've been on Suboxone since Dec. 17th, 2007. 5 1/2 months clean off of percocet 10mg which was killing me mentally and physically. Thank God for this drug. My doc started me out with (3) 8mg a day. That was way too much. I can now actually get by with 1mg a day I think. I've gone up & down with them & the more mg's I take the sleepier I get. I've never gotten high or energy from them. But as to the antidepressant--I personally take Xanax 1mg at night. It does not interfere with the subs as far as I can tell. But your body knows if you are on the right mg of suboxone, believe me. I have been experimenting with them per my doctor. She said to do whatever made me feel normal. You may need 2 to 4mg more. The 1mg Xanax is not an antidepressant but similar. I've never been addicted to them. Been taking the same amount since 1996. (12 years) Never anymore never any less. Please let me know if I've helped at all.

Last edited by martha54; 05-29-2008 at 10:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User
Re: Antidepressant vs. Suboxone

hi diamond

i think the Dr's rationale is that the antidepressants will stop you from feeling 'depressed' therefor stop you wanting to self medicate using sub. If you weren't on the right amount of sub then your body would be the first to let you know via withdrawals. i would go along with the doc - maybe see if you do feel better. who knows it make just work - then you can start a taper etc etc.

hope this helps

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Closed Thread