It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
(female)

tmh710 HB User
Am I addicted yet

I am 32 years old. About a year ago I had surgery and was given norco for pain I liked it. So off and on for the past year I have taken it when I could get it. But for the past 3 months I have taken some everyday. I work 8:30am til 5:00pm I do not take any while I am at work. When I get home in the afternoons I take probably 3. They are 7.5 on the weekends I may average 5 or 6 a day. I just have no energy when I get home from work without them. Am I addicted yet or is it just in my head. I make myself not take any at work just to see if I can. Someone please help me. I need advice soon. I love the pills but am not sure what to do.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
(female)

diamondgirl19 HB User
Re: Am I addicted yet

If you are taking every day then you are addicted. The fact that you have the structure to not take any while working is a good sign. But you are treading a very dangerous line here. Why not stop while you still have some control? I understand how you love the pills. We all had/have a love affair with the pills. My pills were my best friend. Since you are questioning whether you are addicted, you probably know the answer. The direction you are going can only lead to a bad place.

I have the same fears for my husband. He has been taking percocet for 2 years. I think he probably takes them 4 days a week. He doesn't tell me much anymore because I quit taking them (I am now on suboxone). I have noticed over the past month or so, he has taken more than usual. I don't know how he does it, but he forces himself to take breaks. He goes through withdrawals for a couple of days until he takes more pills. Can't imagine constantly feeling withdrawal pains.

Quit while you have the strength. There is no good to come from this situation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
(female)

tmh710 HB User

Thank you so much for your advice. Nobody else in my family or my friends know about this. I kind of think I am addicted too. I just dont want to believe that. But I know I am and hate that I have never let anything have control over me. That makes me feel like a very weak person.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
(female)

diamondgirl19 HB User

You aren't a weak person. Addiction is a disease. It has nothing to do with strength or weakness. I always refer to my addiction as a weakness and my therapist gets really mad at me. There are many people on this board and they are anything but weak. Stick around and you will find out for yourself.

Addiction is also a very lonely disease. Is there anyone you can confide in? It's a great relief to get it off your chest. If not, you can tell us how you are doing/feeling. This message board was a life saver for me. I don't go to NA. I feel that this is my meeting.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User

Tmh, hello there...*smile*

If you dont actually need the pills for pain, I would get off of them right away. Like Diamond said, there is no good to come from this situation.
If you dont realize it by now, this is only going to get worse and worse if you dont give them up. If you do give them up now,however, in the relatively early stages it shouldnt be too bad.
Pill consumption only gets worse. You need more to get high than you did last week, or last month. Soon you dont even really get high off of them, you just use them to keep from being dopesick all of the time. When you dont have them you are sick. Its such an awful,vicious circle.

Read posts on here. You will find many that are or have been in your situation. You can quit, but only if you want to. Dont let it get to that point, because, believe,me, you will if you continue. You'll wake up one day wondering what the heck you are doing, how did I ever let myself get here...

This is what happened to me, only it took years for me to realize,or I guess admit to myself just how bad I was. I started out on the vicodans, etc, the "light" opiates...soon they wouldnt get me high anymore so you move up and up and soon I was snorting large amounts of oxycontin every day just to get out of bed. When I didnt have it I was sick. It gets really bad. You're not there yet.

Dont let yourself get there.

Good luck. I sincerely mean that. Read alot there. Keep posting and let us know how you're doing. There are many good folks here that can help you thru this.

peace, and God bless.

jerry.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
(female)

jinx2418 HB User

Hi Tmh... everyone is right. You should stop. I'm and addict, "once and addict, always and addict" but I've been clean for about 4 years now. My thing wasn't pills at the time, but I had a brief spurt. you really do have to stay away from them or anything that reminds you or makes you want to take a pill. There are things that trigger your need to swallow a pill, and cutting out those pills will help. Also, the habitual pills like when you wake up, get home, etc... those are the hardest to stop. But if you can stop those, you should be ok. I know working makes it hard to lock your self in a room, but I would take the first step by throwing away the bottle. Just dump them. It sounds harsh, but you need to take away your accessibility to them. It will be hard physically while your body withdraws, but once it's over, it's over.

You are strong, not weak, and you can do it if you want to! Questioning yourself is a good thing because you are realizing it and you WANT to make a change. You are strong! Just put your mind to it and you can beat it! I have faith in you!

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It might be a good idea if someone you know offline knows that you are going through withdrawl, as it can temporarily affect your behavior and decision making. A family member, a medical professional, a friend who can be non judgmental.

I remember when my uncle was drying out, he was a little erratic at times.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
(female)

kellibear HB User

hi, i started out pretty much the same as you--ended up forging scripts, was up to 80 10mg lortab a day, then went to morphine, demerol, fentynal .was arrested, lost my career, detoxed in jail and will have a felony record forever. if you think "that will never happen to me"--i thought exactly the same thing. opiate addiction will ruin your life and it's just not worth it!! STOP NOW while you still have some control!!

The following user gives a hug of support to kellibear:
Pepperpot1808 (08-21-2011)
Old 05-31-2008, 05:07 AM   #9
(female)

tatertot3 HB User

I'm so sorry....I just read kellibear's post and it scared the daylights out of me. I've been in enough trouble with the law and I was afraid that it was just a matter of time before they came knockng on my door again. Please forgive me. And I knew better than to ask for private conversation, I guess fear pushed all logic out of my head. Again....I'm really sorry, especially to you Kellibear.

The following user gives a hug of support to tatertot3:
Pepperpot1808 (08-21-2011)
Old 06-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
(female)

kellibear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatertot3 View Post
I'm so sorry....I just read kellibear's post and it scared the daylights out of me. I've been in enough trouble with the law and I was afraid that it was just a matter of time before they came knockng on my door again. Please forgive me. And I knew better than to ask for private conversation, I guess fear pushed all logic out of my head. Again....I'm really sorry, especially to you Kellibear.
nothing to be sorry for!

Closed Thread