It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Addiction & Recovery Message Board


Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 4
droop75 HB User
Heavy Tramadol User Kicking Habbit

Hello all. I am new here but not new to addiction. I have had a major addiction to pain killers but for the past 4 years it's been mostly tramadol. A co worker has been basically given a "lifetime" supply by his doctor and he doesn't take the meds so after ayear or so of vicodin(which came to me) his doctor put him on tramadol and I have bought every prescription from him since. The tramadol started off under the prescribed ammount for a while and then each month and each year the dose grew and grew. A year and a half ago I discovered I could get them online as well and did that every 2 weeks from multiple sources. In the end I was taking 1250 mg's a day.

April 28th I had a seizure. I had taken 1500 mg's that day. I won't go into the story of it happening but I was amazingly lucky I wasn't in my car when it happened because I should have been. God was looking over me and that was the wake up call I needed.

After 32 days I am currently down to 200 mg's a day. The day after I dropped right down to 950 mg's and I could feel it. I have been tappering off ever since then at a pretty rapid rate. Basically 21(50 mg) trams in 32 days overall. The only wd symtoms after the inital 300 mg drop has been restless legs and not be able to sleep. My sleep has been better the past 7 days or so but the restless legs haven't left yet.

I'll be 33 next Saturday and wanted to be completely off of the tramadol by then but now I don't know if that's possible. Looking at this forum I can see where people advise tappering off about a half a pill a week or so which I have accelerated the process. I have been surprised that the wds haven't been worse. I don't know how much one's immune system affects the wds but being almost 33 last month was the first time I used my insurance card for the company I have been at for over 11 years now. I didn't know what our co pay was because, luckily, I never had to go to the doctor(lol).

Like I said I am down to 200 mg's a day now. After I got down to 300 mg's I started taking all the pills at once every 24 hours so I could still get the buzz. This was the dosage I was most concerned about because any less than 4 trams I won't get my proper "buzz". I still look forward to the high which scares me. I'm proud of how I handled this up to this point but does anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?

Sorry this was so long winded but I needed to put this out there.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 05-31-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)
 
Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,854
Blog Entries: 33
Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Heavy Tramadol User Kicking Habbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by droop75 View Post
I'm proud of how I handled this up to this point but does anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?
Hello droop,

I would suggest the ER or your family physician ASAP.

Don't do this alone.

Take care.

Phoenix

 
Old 05-31-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: nashville, tn
Posts: 208
kellibear HB User
Re: Heavy Tramadol User Kicking Habbit

hi , i just wanted to add to your tramadol post--what happened to me. i had a total of 6 grand mal seizures on tramadol i was up to 40-50, 50mg pills a day. gettin them off the net--although they were first prescribed to me by a docotr who knew i was a recovering opiate addict. said they were "safe and non-addicting" BS!!! thank god i was never driving during the seizure, but 5 of them happened at work and all ended up in an ambulance trip to the er. i split my upper lip in half after crashing face first into a concrete floor, the next time, the back of my head got stitches, plus numerous other injuries. at first i tried to say it wasn't the ultram, cause i sure didn't want to give them up. i found out that many people have had seizures on just NORMAL doses. this is a very dangerous drug, and even more dangerous if you are mixing it with certain anti-depressants. the withdrawl for me was just as bad as when i withdrew from 80 10mg lortab a day. the anxiety was worse with the ultram. i cringe everytime i read that a recovering addict is prescribed ultram--especially when the dr. knows about their previous addiction to opiates. at the end i was taking the ultrams with more lortab and had to use suboxone. a decision i am still ambivelant about . yes, the sub stopped the withdrawls and cravings, but now i've been on sub for 4 months and am trying to taper off--and that is NO EASY feat!! i would say keep tapering your ultram by 1 pill a day--that would probably be the best way. but if anyone is taking ultram--i hope you read this!! this is a dangerous, addictive drug!!

 
Old 06-01-2008, 05:30 AM   #4
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 4
droop75 HB User
Re: Heavy Tramadol User Kicking Habbit

Phoenix, I think I can finish this process off without any help. I think.

kelli,

Good to hear you kicked the habbit after taking that many a day. During this process I have filled out a form 4 or 5 times to get flexeril to help with my taper on the same site I was getting the trams but have never convinced myself to hit enter. Not having any other substance to help with the taper has probably made it more difficult. However, I know I can't stay in this rut for long and have to finish this off and get it over with.

 
Old 06-01-2008, 05:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,400
reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Heavy Tramadol User Kicking Habbit

Hello Droop

Good job on working the dose down. I tapered off the opiate Oxycodone. When I was done, I moved into a taper from Xanax. What I learned for me in both tapers is that as we near the end, the cuts need to be smaller. I tried to keep in the 10% range on cuts and at the end of both tapers, I was taking crumbs of the tabs as I finished. Like you, I chose not to add any other narcotics to the mix as I tapered. I did, however, use some of the suggestions found in the second thread on this board, "Sample Home Detox."

I would start breaking one of the tabs into halves or quarteres and decreasing by that amount at this point. When your body and mind level off, make the next cut. Slow and steady wins the taper race.

I wish you continued success in your plan, but need to share a big concern with you....To truly get out of the bondage of addiction truly takes more than just getting off the pills. We need support in the needed changing in our thinking. The changes involve more than just "Don't do drugs." We need to discover what in our thinking allowed us to seek the overkillmof the drugs' effects. From that starting point, we can work to change all the thinking that causes the triggers and sometimes, sadly, relapse.

Any plan to stop he abuse needs to contain an aftercare plan. We need others whether peers or professionals, we need other live, 3-D people in our total plans. This is not a luxury to our plans, but a necessary component. Once off the pills, we need help in learning to live again in a restored state of being. It does not just happen; it takes a lot of work.

There is a state of excitement in withdrawing, a kind of euphoric high emotionally that we are finally tackling this burden head on. Similar to a kid's excitement as Christmas approaches, you know? However, we need to plan on how to handle life after the withdrawal is accomplished. NA, private therapy, whatever our personal choice might be, it needs to get put into place. Think about it, okay?

In the meantime, congratulations again on working to find recovery and restoration in your life. Stick around and share your journey, your thoughts, your questions. This board is a place of hope.

Best wishes
reach

 
Old 06-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)
 
Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,854
Blog Entries: 33
Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Heavy Tramadol User Kicking Habbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by droop75 View Post
Phoenix, I think I can finish this process off without any help. I think.
Hello droop,

Then by all means, proceed with caution and in the event that something goes awry, just know that you have options.

Take care.

Phoenix

 
Old 06-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: nashville, tn
Posts: 208
kellibear HB User
Re: Heavy Tramadol User Kicking Habbit

alot of people consider tramadol a weak opiate, but it is very hard to get off !the opiate receptors in our brains don't care if it's a "weak" opiate or not--it's just as abuseable. lots of people going in-patient to detox from ultram. getting other treatment like na/aa is very important!! i can not stress that enough! doesn't have to be a 12 step program--but it's got to be something! getting off the drugs is hard, but staying off is the real test--stay strong!!

 
Old 06-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 4
droop75 HB User
Re: Heavy Tramadol User Kicking Habbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachout View Post
Hello Droop

Good job on working the dose down. I tapered off the opiate Oxycodone. When I was done, I moved into a taper from Xanax. What I learned for me in both tapers is that as we near the end, the cuts need to be smaller. I tried to keep in the 10% range on cuts and at the end of both tapers, I was taking crumbs of the tabs as I finished. Like you, I chose not to add any other narcotics to the mix as I tapered. I did, however, use some of the suggestions found in the second thread on this board, "Sample Home Detox."

I would start breaking one of the tabs into halves or quarteres and decreasing by that amount at this point. When your body and mind level off, make the next cut. Slow and steady wins the taper race.

I wish you continued success in your plan, but need to share a big concern with you....To truly get out of the bondage of addiction truly takes more than just getting off the pills. We need support in the needed changing in our thinking. The changes involve more than just "Don't do drugs." We need to discover what in our thinking allowed us to seek the overkillmof the drugs' effects. From that starting point, we can work to change all the thinking that causes the triggers and sometimes, sadly, relapse.

Any plan to stop he abuse needs to contain an aftercare plan. We need others whether peers or professionals, we need other live, 3-D people in our total plans. This is not a luxury to our plans, but a necessary component. Once off the pills, we need help in learning to live again in a restored state of being. It does not just happen; it takes a lot of work.

There is a state of excitement in withdrawing, a kind of euphoric high emotionally that we are finally tackling this burden head on. Similar to a kid's excitement as Christmas approaches, you know? However, we need to plan on how to handle life after the withdrawal is accomplished. NA, private therapy, whatever our personal choice might be, it needs to get put into place. Think about it, okay?

In the meantime, congratulations again on working to find recovery and restoration in your life. Stick around and share your journey, your thoughts, your questions. This board is a place of hope.

Best wishes
reach
Thanks for the insight, reach. This is the scariest time for me. Tramadol has consumed my life for so long it will be a struggle to stay clean. I will taper down by half a pill from here on out and stay on that amount for several days and advance. I will keep you guys informed on the progress and where I go after the tapering is over. Thanks for the support!

 
Old 06-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 4
droop75 HB User
Re: Heavy Tramadol User Kicking Habbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellibear View Post
alot of people consider tramadol a weak opiate, but it is very hard to get off !the opiate receptors in our brains don't care if it's a "weak" opiate or not--it's just as abuseable. lots of people going in-patient to detox from ultram. getting other treatment like na/aa is very important!! i can not stress that enough! doesn't have to be a 12 step program--but it's got to be something! getting off the drugs is hard, but staying off is the real test--stay strong!!
I just can't believe how easy it is to get this drug. From the internet sites and from the contact I had I probably spent 15k on these things, maybe upwards of 20k.

 
Old 06-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: nashville, tn
Posts: 208
kellibear HB User
Re: Heavy Tramadol User Kicking Habbit

doesn't it just make you sick?!! i could have bought a house by now with the money i wasted on drugs!! but, hopefully THAT IS IN THE PAST!!!

 
Old 06-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 846
granny0 HB User
Re: Heavy Tramadol User Kicking Habbit

Hi there,

<removed> The most I have ever been prescribed was 20 pills for short term pain. I hear so many people say they take such large doses, I got addicted taking only 2 - 4 a day off and on for 2 yrs and went through withdrawal when I got some meds from a friend whose daughter died of cancer and had a lot of pain pills left so I had about 2 months worth (taking 2-4 a day) and when they were gone, withdrawal and depression set in.
I've been fighting the depression and cravings for many months now.

Best wishes to all who are kicking the habit.

JB

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-01-2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: do not discuss how to get drugs

 
Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California
Posts: 22
jschooly HB User
Re: Heavy Tramadol User Kicking Habbit

Hello,

I am up to 6 or so a day of Tram. My drug counselor has suggested putting me on Suboxone program. Is this a good idea? Good luck with tapering down! I tried and I could not do it alone. I already attend AA about 5 times a week and have been off of alcohol for many years. I am hoping Sub will help my get safely off of the Tramadol. What a mess!!!

 
Old 06-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #13
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California
Posts: 22
jschooly HB User
Re: Heavy Tramadol User Kicking Habbit

Dear Reach,

Wondering how the tapering down off Tramadol is going? I am thinking of doing this myself. I am only up to 5-6 a day. Thinking of dropping dose by 1 a week until I'm doing 1/2 a day, then every other day, then out.

Good luck with your endeavor!

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
A young tramadol user... howcouldiknow Addiction & Recovery 72 10-27-2011 05:55 PM
tramadol withdrawal twi Addiction & Recovery 2 08-31-2009 05:30 AM
How to taper off of tramadol toddl2115 Addiction & Recovery 8 09-24-2008 08:17 PM
is restless hands,legs,arms a sign of tramadol withdrawal? nicolette36 Addiction & Recovery 6 07-31-2008 10:33 AM
Do Not Take Tramadol!!! SDFRTYJJJ Pain Management 12 02-18-2008 03:06 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:21 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!