It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 04:00 AM   #1
(female)

coldlevinexi HB User
For anybody who has been addicted to pain killers?

I was (still am?) heavily addicted to vicodin and other narcotics, but I've been clean for months (I don't count exactly, it's not something I boast about). I was just wondering if anybody who got off their addiction ever got over the need/cravings for them?

I had the opportunity to buy last week, but they didn't show and I had somewhere to be. I'm sick and tired of the cravings, want to know if they go away and how long it takes? Out of everything I've ever been addicted to, narcotics are always the ones hardest to get off of for me.

In hindsight, I guess I was lucky they didn't show up. Is there something I can do to help subside the need in the meantime? So I won't get stupid and drive out to scary places again?

I'm trying to stop being a loser, and this keeps coming back to bite me.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: For anybody who has been addicted to pain killers?

Hi

I came off Oxycodone and then Xanax, both by tapering. I never did crave the drugs as I came off... what I craved was understanding what the heck to do with my time not zonked out on them. Sometimes I would just stand stock still and actively wonder what I might be doing instead of standing stick still. Chuckles. It was at these times that I would have to think about what I used to do with my time... oh! Pick up a broom and sweep the floor. Oh, go walk out in the yard and bring in the garbage cans. I had not done things like that in so long that I truly had to relearn to do them. Throughout the year of tapering and even for a while afterwards, I had to actively think about things I could do with my time. It was quite a while before I learned again to just relax so I stayed really active. when pain would not allow me to move around too much, I called friends, I posted. I looked around me in all places to see what other people were doing and tried some of their activities.

All of this might seem silly, but what was actually happening was changing drug use time habits into new and healthier habits.... normal ones. It is a year sometime this month that I took my last crumb of narcotic and finished the tapering. I no longer have to actively think about what I should be doing. New thoughts fill my head now and my life runs pretty smoothly.

When a craving hits, I would suggest that you force the next thought to be, "Hmm, what can I do constructively?" Practice doing that and eventually it will become a habit. And eventually the thought will come and not be preceded by a craving. They will pretty much disappear. Become very conscious in changing the thought patterns. I needed professional help to work on this changing the thinking. Maybe it is something to consider.

Best wishes
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2008, 05:47 AM   #3
(female)

tatertot3 HB User

For me, all I had to do was get caught. I had wanted to tell friends and family for a long time what was going on, but was too ashamed. Once my dirty laundry was aired everywhere, I knew I couldn't turn back cause the people who picked me up this time I know will not be there again. I still have cravings every once in a while, but Im only in day 24. I just stop everything I'm doing and pray for the craving and devious thoughts to go away. I take a breath, chant the serenity prayer and I'm fine. Is there anyone you know that is a recovering addict that you could confide in and call when you have a craving?

Old 06-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
(female)

kellibear HB User

the cravings do go away...eventually, and some time "eventually" can be weeks, months or years. going to a support group helps immensely--when you have a craving--go to a meeting, call your sponsor--or anyone in the program. if you think you are in immediate danger of relapse--you could always try sub--but NOT unless everything else has failed!! do you have a higher power that you pray to? that helps many people. stay busy--do service work or volunteer work--anything to get your mind off using!! every addict in early recovery has cravings--whether they will admit it or not. try to remember the withdrawl and how horrible you felt--ask yourself--do i really want to go thru that again? stay strong--you can do it--do not talk to any old connections!!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
(female)

coldlevinexi HB User

thanks everybody, for all the advice.
It really hit me reachout, when talked about not knowing what to do with your time.
Unfortunately I'm not as strong as I thought because I went back and got pills and I'm coming off them right now.
I don't know anybody else who's been addicted and are recovering, the only people I know have neither ever been on drugs or are currently on them with no intention of ever coming off, and it looks like that's where I'm going back to.

I don't know. I don't want to go back to rehab, so I guess with help from the threads, I'm otherwise going to have to learn to just pull myself together on my own and just grow up.

What really sucks is that when I gave up drugs I took up chain smoking to replace them and now I have complicated it even more lol.

Well whatever. But what a waste of a life huh? rofl

whoa. Can anybody say pity party??

Old 06-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User

Cold, might I suggest hanging out here a bit and reading and talking to some people on the board...

You might be surprised at some of the powerful insight from people who hang here and have been thru what you are now going thru.

Others experiences might just help you out. Hanging out with folks who are clean or working on it might just keep you on the right track.

Keep posting your thoughts. Read posts. Hope to keep seeing you.

peace.

jerry.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User

Cold, by the way, I've been addicted and am recovering...anybody else out there been addicted and recovering?

*smile*

Welcome to the board.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
(female)

coldlevinexi HB User

lol
I was responding to the post about calling a friend who's been addicted, but yeah I had that one coming and thanks.

but really, I'll be fine. I'll try to respond to others threads, but if I was as bad as I've been in the past then I wouldn't even be able to get on here, so I guess thats good enough for me... long as I don't slip back into that.

Now go help somebody who really needs support

Old 06-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #9
(male)

acaptainn HB User

Cold im newly clean after 35yrs of using and HIGHLY suggest Narcotics Anon. go to meetings and use the suggestions. Its helped my wife and I tremendously. Goodluck and wellwishes.Acap.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

TomsWife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaptainn View Post
Cold im newly clean after 35yrs of using and HIGHLY suggest Narcotics Anon. go to meetings and use the suggestions. Its helped my wife and I tremendously. Goodluck and wellwishes.Acap.
Hi Cold, I am newly sober too - alcohol for me. I'm a member of AA and highly suggest NA for you as Acap does. One thing I do know, is when I was doing things my (on my own) way, look where that got me. This alcoholic needs the help from others via meetings, sponsor, service work and working the steps. You see, I have learned that the drinking is actually a side effect of the alcoholic. Sure, I liked the buzz early on in my drinking career, but at end, I was drinking to mask feelings, emotions etc. I've learned that some can put down thier drug of choice but truly never recover if they dont resolve issues, etc. That may not make sence, its easier to explain in person via typed dialog. So, if you dont clean up the issues and yourself, your more apt to relapse again and again. When I say "you", I mean people in general..........
So yeah, I suggest NA for you, for everyone !!

Marilyn

Last edited by TomsWife; 06-04-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
(female)

tatertot3 HB User

I totally agree with everyone. I started using pain killers to kill emotional pain. There was some horrible stuff that happened to me within about 3 years and I was a wreck. I thought I could beat it, but look at me now. I am happy to say that I'm now clean 25 days after 10 years of usage. I go to meetings on Thrusday nights and I journal all the time. The journaling really helps. I've had some serious lightbulbs go off during those quiet times. If you can't attend meetings, get the NA book. The blue one is the one I'd recommend. I'm about half way through and I'm really enjoying it. But I'd strongly urge you to start going to meetings. Everyone in there has a story, just like everyone here. But sometimes is nice to put a face and voice to the story. Don't worry hun, those hours will turn to days, the days to weeks, and soon it will all be a distant memory. At least that's what I'm praying for.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:31 AM   #12
(female)

coldlevinexi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsWife View Post
I've learned that some can put down thier drug of choice but truly never recover if they dont resolve issues, etc. That may not make sence, its easier to explain in person via typed dialog. So, if you dont clean up the issues and yourself, your more apt to relapse again and again.
^hope I did that right.

That is completely true. Everything else everbody has said on here is too. I think I'll look into the NA, and at least look up the book. I think I've been downplaying a lot of things and should start taking them more seriously. Thanks for all the suggestions and continued support despite my dumb comments.

I've never been able to relate to as many people before about drug use.

I'm a heavy drinker too, Tomswife. Something else I took up with the smoking.

So thanks everybody for the advice.

Closed Thread