It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
(female)

Deerie HB User
Can anyone Help Me?

Hi everyone ,
I need help. I have ben taking Vicodin ES for 8 years for Legit pain, Naturally I became addicted and have been abusing for 3 years . Right now I am up to 10-15 vicodin es a day. I also take xanax but only as directed.
My problem is obviously I'm taking to much Vicodin and I need to quit. My oher problem is that my husband has no idea and would never understand nor would he be supportive due to family histories , he has no patience for addiction at all and doesn't understand how anyone could be so weak. I also have 3 children and can't be out of commission too long because I have no one to help me.
I don't think I could handle cold turkey, I've been through withdrawals in the past when I ran out of pills. I had diareaha that just wouldn't quit. Is weaning better? someone also told me that the xanax I take would help a lot. My last part o the probem is that I have been looking for a job and have an interview coming up. If I get the job there is a mandatory drug test. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get out of your system? I have heard that a lot of water and or green tea speed the process but don't know how true that is. I just need advice because this has all got to end....I don't even remember what it is like to be clean anymore and I'm scared that I'm so used to the way I am now that I won't be able to function clean. Can anyone give me some ideas. I don't expect an easy answer just a way to do this that I will be able to function and hopefully have no one notice that I'm withdrawing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2008, 03:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TomsWife HB User
Re: Can anyone Help Me?

Hi Deerie,
I cant help with the pill addiction, I'm an alcoholic, but adiction is adiction none-the-less. I'm sure others will follow me here to post thier experience on the tapering that most have sucsess with.
I can offer you some information about the drug testing. When you go to take the test you will have to fill out some paper work. Its typically called the chain of custody, or something to that effect. There will be a section on there where you list all the medications you are currently taking and what dr prescribed them. Hopefully, you have a RX for the pills. The test does not show how much you have been taking, just the fact that the substance is in your system. I've no information on the green tea.
I'd also like to address the husband issue. Dont be supprised if your husband already knows something us up. While intoxicated/high we think we are behaving normally. When in reality, our speach may be effected, we have lots and lots of energy, or sleep alot. Perhaps we dont eat with the family, etc. Consider coming clean to him. If your serious about getting clean your going to need all the help you can get. The lying, cheating and stealing that goes with addiction is horrible. Lots of time, thats what takes people back out if they have any sobriety at all. So my suggestion is to start your road to recovery on the up and up. Good luck, read lots of threads on this board and stick around.

Marilyn

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-07-2008 at 05:07 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 06-05-2008, 04:17 AM   #3
(female)

diamondgirl19 HB User

Deerie,

You and I sound alike. I, too, was addicted to pain killers, am a mother, and my husband didn't know. I was afraid to tell him thinking he wouldn't love me anymore. Well there was no way I could go thru withdrawals without him knowing. So I came clean to him and to my surprise he was very supportive and helpful. I guess addiction isn't that big of a shock. He turned out to be extremely supportive and it even brought us a little closer together. It wasn't as easy as my story makes it seem. I had wanted to tell him for so long and I tortured myself for at least a year. Instead I stayed trapped in my vicious little cycle.

Once he knew what I was going thru, it made it much easier to seek professional help and get myself on the right track. I ended up on Sub but that's a different story.

Good luck to you. I hope you are able to get the help you need.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
(female)

tatertot3 HB User

Diamond, you and I could be twins!!!! I went to a weekend detox and yes I was miserable, but with 3 little kids, I had to get home asap. Once I got out I felt great for the first two days, then I had to get back to real life. But now 20+ days later, I'm doing great! I actually play with my kids and WANT to be around them now.

If your husband knows about addiction he'll understand that you really want help and you're tired of hiding it. He'll respect you more for comming clean. He might be angry at first, if he really doesn't know what you're doing. I know my hubby was at first, but who wouldn't be? We've been together for 10 yrs and he NEVER had a clue. But both his mom and dad had/have alcohol probs so he understands how hard it is sometimes. My suggestion is that you make sure you are ready to come clean and don't be surprised if he throws you in detox right away. That's what happened to me. But that's what I needed. Now we are closer and stronger than ever before and he's more in tune with me and our little family.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User

Deerie, hi there, and welcome to the board. *smile*

The first good thing you have going for you is that you have realized you have a problem and have asked for help. There are many of us here that have gone thru what you are going thru now, so theres plenty of advice to go around.

First, I guess if I were you, I would taper slowly. Could you possibly do one less Vicodan every couple days? This would help you immensly.

The only thing wrong with this is your drug test coming up. If you do in fact have a script for these for legit pain, tell the folks when you go for the test. Bring the bottle w/ you to prove it. If you dont, then you may need to bite the bullet and go cold turkey. I know you dont want to but you're going to have to make a choice between the job ~ or not.
The Vicodan will stay in your system for a bit, but if you actually quit and drink lots and lots and lots of water you should be able to flush it out. I think 3 - 5 days. Not long at all, but this depends on you quitting.

I dont know from firsthand experience on the Xanax, but have heard many horror stories on detoxing from them. I say be very wary of the Xanax.

Now, this is all fine and good, but I hear a cry for help from you. You sound like myself and many others here who have just come to a point where we NEED to get off the merry-go-round.

You've made the first step admitting a problem. Start weaning yourself off of these devil pills NOW.
The choice is yours. How bad do you want and/or need this? I think you need it as badly as you sound.

Again, welcome to the board.

*hugs*

jerry.

Closed Thread