It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
(male)

Daemon26453 HB User
Confused/Worried Social Drinker

If anyone can help me out please do. I'm a 19y/o male approx. 103 kgs. I'm a social drinker who until now has never had any detremental effects from drinking (besides the usual effects of alcohol). About 7 months ago I first had a blackout from drinking, or at least that is the connection I made. Since then I've had about 7 more, but can't find out why. My drinking pattern on a night out is generally the same, yet the blackouts are irregular. I can't seem to find a connection other than having alcohol in my system each time.

It has occured at very different levels (once after only 2 beers). I'm a slow drinker and watch my intake carefully. Have tested many theories about my mindset and physical condition but have not found anything conclusive yet, and I can't understand why this would all of a sudden start happening. I just want to fix this problem before I harm myself or anyone else in any way. Any ideas or advice is much appreciated.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

viking55803 HB User
Re: Confused/Worried Social Drinker

Blackouts are a warning flag for alcoholism, no question. However, it sounds like you are trying to be a responsible drinker. The obvious solution would be to simply become a non-drinker. I myself am what I call a "voluntary abstainer" because I have worked in the addiction field for 35 years and felt it was inappropriate for me to drink for obvious reasons.

The pattern you describe is atypical and a bit troubling, since you have difficulty predicting when you might experience a blackout. I will say that it is definitely not a normal reaction to moderate consumption of alcohol.

If you choose to continue to experiment with alcohol, I would advise you to have a thorough physical examination by a physician. It is possible you have a liver dysfunction which may inhibit your metabolism of alcohol. In chronic alcoholics, tolerance for alcohol eventually decreases because of liver damage. This means that after years of high tolerance, chronic alcoholics often experience blackouts after consuming very small amounts of alcohol. That does not appear to fit your self-report, so perhaps there is an underlying problem.

Good luck and good health!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread