It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
(female)

valeriedl HB User
Pain meds and trying to stop, suboxone

my boyfriend has been addicted to pain meds for about 17 years now. A friend of his doctor put his friend on suboxone which from what I understand will help with the pain, but you will not become addicted to it.

We've been trying to find a dr in our area that is covered by our insurance plan. We live in the Beaver County area which is outside of Pittsburgh PA.

If anyone could help I would really appericate it. He has finally realized that he has a problem and is trying to quit. Thank you

Old 06-19-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
(female)

Sherbear38 HB User
Re: Pain meds and trying to stop, suboxone

Hi Valeriedl - Its great that your boyfriend wants to do this. Suboxone is thought my many to be a miracle drug! The first day he is on it, he will , by the first dose, feel a great deal better. And by the end of the day, when he takes his 2nd, or 3rd dose, depending on what they give him, he most likely will not be craving at all.

Suboxone will get him through without cravings, and allow him to " get things together", as you said, probably financially, and at least get up to date, and eventually , to plan for the future.

I will tell you that Suboxone CAN be addictive. This is a concern of mine too, as I am on it. I was on it before, and I went off too fast, and I picked up again. Not only does one need to get physically clean, but also psycologically clean, to learn to live in a world without ones drug of choice. I know Now, I need to be on it for a while, get counseling , go to meetings, and learn to live without the social circle I was in with people who were using.

I brought up the addiction concern this week with both my addiction doctor and my psychologist, and thought they made a good point by saying, taking the Suboxone allows you to proceed with your life, and is far better than taking Percoset. (My personal drug of choice) Plus, its legal. And they said, if I have a problem getting off of it, they can help me with that too, they're not gonna leave me hanging.

As far as helping you find someone, even if I could, thats not allowed on this site. That may account for the lack of responses.... Its not that your question was in any way uncommon. I wish you the best of luck! I hope he follows thru with this plan! Sherbear 38

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
(female)

kellibear HB User
Re: Pain meds and trying to stop, suboxone

sub is most definitely addictive!! it's stronger than morphine, but it is a partial agonist, which blocks most of the "high" or euphoria. if taken longer than 2-3 weeks, you just switch addictions amd sub is very difficult to get off of. the acute withdrawl is less intense than a regular opiate (morphine, vicoden, percs, oxy's, heroin), but they last much longer because of the long half-life. our opiate receptors in our brains just see "opiates", they don't care if it's sub or any other opiate, and sub is just another opiate. it does stop the addictive behaviors that were destroying our lives, and if we use this time to build a recovery program, sub can be very useful. dr.s don't usually explain to people that sub is very hard to get off of--sadly that's because the dr.s know very little about sub or addiction in general. they see $$$$. there are some knowledgeable and caring dr.s out there. it is ALWAYS best to choose a dr. that is an addictionologist/or has experience with sub.

Closed Thread