It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

ODAAT2 HB User
Help - Detox Nightmares Are they Normal?

I am detoxing once again from percs and the nightmares are so bad -some about finding buckets of pills and others about my kids always taking them out of harms way to safety. These are just a couple examples but is this normal? I am so caught up for days after these nightmares reliving them as if they really happened and then feeling guilty etc.... Please tell me this happens to others. Is there anything I can do?

In the heart of the detox day 1 into 2 and feeling horrible (like I should have expected different when I ate my first pill after detoxing last time?)

WHY WHY WHY do I do this to myself - I get sober and actually feel good so why do i relapse? Why when I know one pill will lead me back down the drain to hell?

Please help.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
(female)

kellibear HB User
Re: Help - Detox Nightmares Are they Normal?

this is very common, having using dreams are awful, because when you wake up it feels so real--you think you really used! they get less frequent the longer you stay clean. but even people with many years clean still have an occasional using dream. but, this is normal--good luck with detox--it will get better!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
(male)

dorskin HB User

I had those nightmares and still do 1-2 times a week. I am just over a month clean off OC and those first two weeks the dreams were vivid. I took solace in the fact that when I awoke, I was remorseful that I used (if only in my dream) This tells me my mind is making the change to the guy that USE to get high. I have been told that the dreams are all part of recovery. They will get fewer, just know that. I was blown away that I was even dreaming, hadn't remembered having one in years. Usually just passed out til the next morning, now I dream almost every night.

Congratulations on getting clean and its much better to actually live life.

Good luck and keep coming back. It works......if you work it.

d

Old 06-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
(male)

pingeye2 HB User

I also had and have vivid dreams. I also look at it as almost a positive thing because I havent dreamed in years. After a few dasys clean I was dreaming again and in a weird way I was excited about it just because it was another sign that I was returning to normal.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

ODAAT2,

Welcome to the boards, nice to meet you

I had nightmares the first time I tapered (I tapered really fast, too fast apparently) and they scared the "you know what" out of me. I mentioned it to my addiction doctor and she told me it was completely normal.

I am going to Rehab within a couple weeks. I am waiting for a spot to open up cause I've chosen one that is in high demand (imagine that, lots of people in my position?). I too, went through (and am still going through) the "why, why, why do I do this to myself?" Why did I allow myself to take that pill when I was doing so good? Why did I relapse? Well, I don't have an answer for you, but I do understand how you feel. I made the choice to go to Rehab (with the help of my husband, parents and doctors) because I just can't stop. Believe me, I tried and I tried and I tried. The addiction has completely taken over me.

Sometimes its good to be hard on yourself, but at the same time you have to realize that addiction is a disease. Have you tried getting professional help? Does your doctor know you're detoxing? I'm just curious.

I hope you're feeling better, all the best to you.

Hugs,
emsmom

Closed Thread