It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

treehousier HB User
Please, someone tell what to do.......

Ill get right to the problem.
I had a very bad drug addiction for years, by the time the drugs toke thier toll on me I had nothing left inside. I was just a shell not feeling anything but pain and frustration, at myself and life. I went into a dark sad place where I exsisted without hope or a will to live. After going into detox I came out feeling nothing. The drugs being out of my system only made the feeling of nothingness stronger. After years of searching I began to use again wanting to feel something. Looking for another cure I found Suboxone and after the first day on it I was alive again, I had hope and after a week," joy". Now Im reading that this drug could be worse than narc's. I was hoping to take it a some mg for..? for....ever. Please let me know if anyone had heard of a maintance dose for.... years. I really cant go back to the way I was before.. All information welcomed. Lynn

Last edited by treehousier; 06-24-2008 at 01:50 AM. Reason: I feel my post was to wordy and not getting a responce and correct spelling

Old 06-24-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User
Re: Please, someone tell what to do.......

Lynn, good morning.

I dont believe that sub is worse than narcotics. I'm not and have never used sub, but from what I have seen here on the board it has helped many to live productive lives away from the stranglehold of whatever drugs you/they were using. No matter what it takes to get away from pills/heroin/coke whatever is a good thing.

I have, however, also heard how strong it is, and how one needs to wean themselves, ( under a doctors care) off of it.

No matter what, tho, if it keeps you from going back to where you were, where many, many of us have been, is a good thing.
Hang in there, keep posting and reading.

there really is hope, and smiles. I think that sometimes, after years of abuse, that it just takes time.

hang in there!

another dopeless hope addict,

jerry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User

Lynn,

yes !!! people DO take sub for the rest of their lives. AND WHY NOT? if it helps you to live a normal, happy, productive life then why would you try to stop taking it? right now i am at 4mg and happy. productive. there might be some time in my life that i try to ween down, but right now is not the time. i HAVE lived without drugs for 5 whole years before. and life really was good. i started on antidepressants (lexapro) and it worked. and that would be the only reason i start to ween.
but if i was in your situation, and didnt have another "something" to help me feel good, normal without using drugs and getting high and f'ing up my life - i would use the sub for, yes, forever.

many hugs and much luck to you. God Bless You.....

michelle

Old 06-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
(female)

Missy14 HB User

According to the pain management/suboxone doctor I see, there is currently research ongoing to use suboxone in the treatment of depression in patients WITHOUT a history of substance abuse because of the fact that patients are reporting such great responses with it. Addiction is a disease. Each person with a disease is treated in an individual way that helps them. Some people with high blood pressure change their diet and get better; some have to take pills. Same with addiction. Do what is best for you under the care of a responsible health care provider and that is what is right. don't let anyone tell you otherwise - you are an addict, which is no different than being a diabetic or someone with heart disease. You need treatment, just as the diabetics do and for you it sounds like Suboxone is giving you your life back = I wish you all the best.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
(female)

lmb1964 HB User

Hi Missy,
I am going to try to taper myself off starting with taking 1/2 pill a day I now take 1 pill per day. I am going to try it s-l-o-w-l-y like some other people here have suggested. I was hooked on Lortab for about 2 years after a hysterectomy. Let me tell you - taking suboxone is much better than all the hiding and lying and doctor shopping, so what if you take it forever, isn't it better than the alternative?! Anyway, I have been on the sub for a little over a year. But I think its time to start tapering off. I will of course talk to my doctor about it also. Maybe we can compare notes. I will say a prayer for you, and I will keep you updated. Best of luck to you!

Last edited by lmb1964; 06-25-2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

viking55803 HB User

<There is talk> a lot about "recovery capital" these days. What it means basically is that, in achieving recovery, it helps an awful lot to have a supportive family, money, a job, safe housing, mental health etc. What you describe is that drug addiction has left you short of recovery capital.

The purpose of using suboxone, if used to its greatest advantage, is to eliminate the immediate harm of an illegal or legal drug addiction (legal drug addicts sometimes doctor shop or use compounded opiates which are seriously dangerous compared to suboxone) and give you an opportunity to rebuild your recovery capital. At some point, you may find that you want to try living without suboxone, and will not be facing the same life situation you are living in today.

This is a stepwise approach to recovery that works better for many and is a whole lot less painful. There are many paths to recovery and you have already taken a few steps. Just keep moving toward living a better, healthier, happier life.

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-26-2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: removed profession

Closed Thread