It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
(male)

vernson HB User
Going into rehab so how do I become a model patient

I have made the decision to enter into rehab for 90 days. Actually the decision has been made for me but either way I want to be the best patient there. If I am going to invest 90 days of my life to something I want to make sure I get something out of it. So, what does the model patient look like. How does the model patient behave? What kind of mind set does the model patient have?

Lee

Old 06-24-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Going into rehab so how do I become a model patient

Hello V,

Rehab is not about competition but about awareness.

You get out of it what you put into it.

Go in with an open mind and be willing to accept advice from others(kinda like this )

Stay true to yourself and know that everything begins and ends with you.

90 days is not long at all(compared to the addictive behaviors) so make the most of it,

If there are others spouting negativity, stay clear of them, for misery loves company.

Comply with all that is asked of you and you will leave a different person; the experience tends to change individuals.

We are all behind you here; an optimistic attitude makes for an optimistic stay.

Take care and God Bless.

Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 06-24-2008 at 07:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User

Hi Lee,

There is no such thing as a model patient in rehab, but I think you know that already. <removed> you know there is no such thing as a model patient, or perfect patient, etc.

You will get something out of being in rehab for 90 days but you cannot plan on what that will be. Go into it with an open mind, not with the mindset of needing to be perfect, etc. I'm sure you've heard this saying before - take what you want and leave the rest. That's something that is said a lot in treatment groups, AA meetings, etc, because not everything is going to benefit you or be meaningful to you.

My first treatment stay for anorexia was for 90 days as well, and I focused on going through the program without causing any problems, eating my entire mealplan at every meal and snack, gain weight without complaining, no crying in front of people, look as though I'm "fine", go to groups, participate in everything, etc. Essentially I wanted to be the "model patient". Well in all honesty, I didn't get much out of that stay. Not much at all, aside from weight gain. I didn't allow myself to just "be" and let my feelings dictate some of the things I did. For example, I hated the fact that I had to gain weight - it was so hard and most of the time I wanted to refuse part of a meal or snack but I didn't, and not only didn't I refuse but I made it look like I didn't mind eating at all. And that I didn't mind that by the end of my stay I had gained just over 40 pounds (just to get me to the bottom of my range). I wanted to scream and cry but I didn't. I should have. Then I would have gotten the help I really needed. No one knew what was going on inside of me because I was trying so hard to be the perfect patient.

My next treatment stay was different in that I wanted recovery for myself (the first time I was sort of "forced into it, although I was 26 at the time) and that made a difference, but mostly it was different because I was able to look back and see just how superficial my first stay was. Even my therapy was superficial - saying what I thought they wanted to hear, etc.

My advice to you is to go into this with a completely open mind. Don't make any plans as to how you are going to go through the program ahead of time. Get in touch with your feelings as best you can and just go with it. Best of luck!

Lizzy

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-25-2008 at 11:08 PM.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Hello vernson,

I too, have chosen to go into Rehab. It was the best decision of my life, and I haven't even arrived for detox yet. The place I am going to is in "high" demand, so I am on a waiting list as well as a cancellation list. I could get "the call" tomorrow or within two weeks.

I agree with phoenix and lizzy...you need a clear head when going into Rehab, and the worst thing you can do is try to be "a model patient."

Actually, by becoming the model patient, most therapists and doctors will most likely notice (I wonder why no one noticed lizzy, however I may be wrong).

Going to Rehab will be a struggle (or as I'm told) because it teaches you how to live a life in a completely different way, in a completely different environment - without access to drugs. I truly feel that is the best way for me to recover.

The best thing you can do for yourself, is to be "Honest with yourself." I hope we chat again, when we're both back home, or even when we're in (I have access to computers and this board...not sure if you will).

So from one patient entering into Rehab, to another...I wish you all the best, keep your head up and be strong. Its not going to be easy (if it was, we'd have no one to talk about addiction to), but you can do it because you want to!! Remember that.

All the best,
Hugs,
emsmom

Old 06-25-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
(male)

vernson HB User

I don't think I mentioned that I have to go to rehab or else I will loose my job. This is what is giving me anxieties. I will end up having no income for 4 months or more. With no money coming in at all my poor fiance will have to deal with eviction and a move all on her own, not to mention the possible loss of cars. She just had vocal cord surgery so she can't speak for a week and then for the next month she is very limited as to how much she can communicate in a day while the cords are healing (excessive use will make them scar). I can't imagine her going through all this anguish alone not to mention having her be alone for the next 90 days.

I have some loans from friends and family but well short of what we need to keep things stabilized. I don't know how I am going to make it through rehab knowing she is out there dealing with all this.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Vernson,

Hmmm. So you're only going to Rehab cause you have to? I think I understand why you want to be the "model patient." Is it so you'll pass the Rehab and be able to go home?

Friend, there's so much more to Rehab than that. You said you were going to invest 90 days of your life, then you want to get something out of it...

Do you want to recover from your addiction? Cause Rehab is the best place for that

I hope you're doing ok, seems to be alot going on with your fiance. Just remember this... If you're better, than you're better for her too.

Take care, and I look forward to chatting again

emsmom

Old 06-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
(male)

vernson HB User

I asked the question on how to be the model patient for more than one reason. First, as you said I was hoping that I could maybe curb my time there. I would love to go in for just a month and then be released even though I know that won't happen, but still going to try. Second, even if I have to stay the whole 90 days why wouldn't I want to have the best time possible while I am in there. I think that it can be fun and very rewarding if I do everything I am supposed to do in a very sincere way. No point in being upset or resistant while I am in there. No fun for me or anyone around me. I have been assessed and most therapist and evaluators have agreed that I don't need to be in therapy for that long, its just a requirement for work.

SteveS

Old 06-25-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Well I'm very glad that you want to make the best out of it I think Rehab will do something good for you. You are in a totally different surrounding, so it makes life easier without access to your drug of choice

I hope you do well there, and I hope to compare stories when we're both back

When do you leave for treatment?

All the best,
Hugs,
emsmom

Old 06-26-2008, 05:03 AM   #9
(male)

vernson HB User

I will be entering treatment on July 2nd and I have such anxieties about it. I feel like I am going to prison. I feel closed in mentally thinking about it. I don't know how I am going to sleep. I have enough trouble sleeping these days in my own home and bed. Also, I heard they have this 'buddy' system where I will never be alone. I think that will drive me crazy knowing that I will have always have someone watching me. I am not looking forward to it.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:35 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Vernson

Hope you are well today.

Just thought I would share a few thoughts with you about my time in withdrawing and tapering. I learned so much about myself and my place in the world and how I fit into muy little corner of the planet. It was actually one of the most rewarding times in my life as far as personal growth and knowledge.

Oh, I learned well enough about drugs, abusing them, why I did it and how not to anymore. However, in learning those things, I was opened up to so much about thinking and reacting. While I don't believe I started out as a bad person, I do believe I moved towards being a better one.

I am so much more conscious of my reactions to all situations in my life now, good or bad. There is such a heightened sense of self awareness in me than I ever thought possible. I have gained coping skills that I never even understood that I lacked! There is a balance in me that I was never even aware was unbalanced before! Each day dawns with interest in me... not just a trudging along in life, but feeling instead like such a full participant. It is just such a "fullness" within me that I did not feel before.... not just comparing it to me time in a drug haze, but comparing it to my whole life.

I have written often that in that one year of withdrawing and finding restoration in my life, I learned more than in all of my previous years combined. That is still a truth in my life. Not only did I learn more, but I opened up to the fact that there is still so much more to learn. And that is what provides the impetus for me to continue moving forward. Some truths in life are so very simple, but it took a lot of complicated thinking for me to see that! Chuckles.

I sure can understand the trepidation about entering rehab. None of us likes to be out of our known comfort zones and away from all that is secure and familiar to us. I sure don't. However, as each of us here comes to find, we can not always dictate what life brings us. Our only recourse is to accept that it is what it is and to try and react in the way that best serves us.

The days ahead in rehab can be a time of huge personal growth for you. There will be lots of learning about addiction, why any drug abuse took place, but I believe even more importantly, it will be a huge learning about yourself, about how and why your thinking is what it is, about places in the thinking that can change for the better, about how and what your purpose is in your corner of the planet. I believe you are going to learn skills that willserve you for the rest of your life in your own being and in marriage and with all rlationships in your life. I truly do believe that.

Vernson, the upcoming rehab just is what it is. A life event that can not be changed. If we can not change it, then we do best to accept it and learn what we can from it, take from it what is good for us. Did I enjoy my year of tapering?? No, No No! And I would not suggest it as a pathway to growing. And you will never hear me say that I am glad I went through it. It was crummy! However, having gone through it, I know that it did allow me to grow. It was a life event that came into my life. I have taken the good I can from it and have let go of the bad.

I am wishing you well in the days ahead. I wish you peace in accepting it and so much hope in what good you will find. Be strong, be open.

In hope always
reach

Old 06-26-2008, 10:28 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User

I want to wish the both of you good luck as you enter your treatment centers. I know all too well how hard it is to give up the comforts of home and your usual routine, and to relinquish control to someone else. It's hard but really worth it. Do you mind me asking what places you will be going to?

90 days may seem like a long time but it flies by and before you know it you'll be looking back at this period of your life. I spent 120 days at a center in Utah and it was so scary knowing that I'd be gone for that long. At first being in treatment will most likely feel suffocating as you are around other people 24/7 - I know it felt that way to me. But, just about all treatment centers work on a level system - the first level is the most restrictive and the last levels you actually have a good deal of freedom. To move up in the levels you have to meet certain criteria or goals and it's quite rewarding as you move up in the program and get more freedom.

In the center I was at in Utah when I was in the first phase I wasn't allowed to leaved the facilities, get online, had limited phone time, etc. But once I was in the last level (4th level) I was able to go out on weekend passes and had all the phone time I wanted, etc. Also, most centers have activities that you are allowed to do outside in the real world. Let's see.. in the places I've been we've had things like Friday night movie night (in a real theater), community service stuff (so rewarding and it's nice to take the focus off of yourself for a little bit), shopping trips, family passes, etc. One place I was at in Arizona (treatment center meca haha) we actually went to an ice hockey game in Phoenix.

One last thing - not only did I grow immensly over that period in my life when I was in and out of treatment centers, but those around me grew a lot as well. My parents and sisters learned a lot about themselves and we've all become closer as a family as a result of what was going on. I think that when someone in a family is facing immenant death if they refuse treatment, it really forces family members to look at what is truly important to them in life. For my dad he realized that he was too focused on material things and came to realize that he'd rather spend money on treatment centers (close to $400k) and have me around than to keep all of the money but lose a daughter. Fortunately, although they are divorced, they are both still able to have comfortable lives, but that's not to say that I haven't had immense guilt about them spending that much money on me.

I always tend to ramble so I'll just close off right here and say once again - good luck!

Last edited by lizzy76; 06-26-2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added one more thing

Old 06-27-2008, 03:44 AM   #12
(female)

itswaypasttime HB User

You don't need to be a model patient. If you going to a rehab then they will not be judging you at all. They are there to help you not judge. With that said are you addicted to anything or did you just get caught doing something you should not be doing? If you are not phyically addicted then you will be clear headed and will able to attend every meeting and group that they offer. This might not be what you want to here but you will get more out of this experience then you realize. You will meet some of the best people you ever have in your life from all walks of life and become close friends with a lot of them. Rehab is a very emotional place and you will learn a lot about people and life. You may be surprised at how you look at things when you leave. Most important you will about yourself. Look at this as a blessing because there are people out there who truley need and want help and can't get it because of money issues. So be yourself there and it's not as bad as you may think. In fact if I could back without having to go through withdraws I would love to. It's a very person experience.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #13
(male)

vernson HB User

I hope that some of you who are experienced at the whole rehab center process can give me some peace. I am experiencing anxieties everyday as I patiently wait for the day of admission. I feel like I am going into a prison situation. I feel like I am going into a coffin. My life is so free and I have routines in my life that have been that way for a very long time. Its not like when I was young and in college. I am not as adaptable. For this reason I almost feel my skin crawl thinking about the fear of being trapped. I even have reservations as to whether I can live in that type of environment for 90 days. Its going to be October when I get out.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Hey Vernson,,

Have you visited the place you will be staying? Do you have a "hospital" atmosphere in your head? I just read EMSMOM's post about where she will be going and it sounds like a nice vacation to me Since you've already gone through withdrawal, you may actually enjoy it, if you let yourself.

Best wishes to you,

JB

Old 06-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User

i have been to many treatment centers. i know that it feels like it will be like jail, but trust me, it is not like jail or prison. I have also been in many jails and one prison. People in rehab are there to help you, not only with your drug or alcohol issues, but also the issues that have been created from your use. They will help you learn how to sort out your problems and how to put your life back together. If you listen, truly listen, you will gain a wonderful experience and renewed hope. Even about whats going on back home. My home was sold at a sheriff's auction one of the times i was gone. I not only learned how to deal with that mess when i got home, but where to find the gratitude in a dire situation. Please try to go in with an easy mind, friend.
What drug are you addicted to? do you feel you are an addict or alcoholic? what happened at work to make them send you to rehab? im just wondering. a lot of us have been in your shoes and i was hoping you might want to share. we all try to identify with each other and our stories. we all take out what we can get and ignore the rest as well.

i wish you SO MUCH LUCK. please keep sharing here. let us know how your experience goes.

hugs,

michelle

ps emsmom: good luck on your stay. i LOVE your attitude about this. i know it will be a great experience for you. i am looking forward to reading your posts while going through this. BIG HUG FOR YOU. michelle

Closed Thread