It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
(female)

nwahoski HB User
Post Help with addict coming home

This is all very new to me. My fiance left yesterday for a detox facility. He will be there for 10 days. He's an opiate addict and has been for a couple of years. I'm just wondering what sort of preparations I need at home for when he comes home. The facility is highly recommended and they do counsiling for the whole family, not just the patient. They have kept in contact with me as to his status, which isnt the greatest at this point. The nurse told me that he is continuously being monitored and vitals being taken every 10 minutes during his withdrawal. Is there anyone here that has some advice for what I should do or be ready to expect once he gets back home? I'm scared of him having a relapse. We just bought a house and are getting married in August, so I dont want those pressures to cause him to revert back to his old ways. Please help!!!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

niknak77 HB User
Re: Help with addict coming home

Are you attending nar-anon? If not, this would be a good place to get the advice and support you need. There should be a local chapter near you, the nurse you talked to should be able to help you find one. Counseling for yourself is a good idea so that you will be able to adjust to your new role in your fiance's life and know how to support him in his recovery. Best wishes to you and your fiance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User

Doing 10 days at a detox facility, no matter how good it is, isn't much time at all to really begin recovery. While detoxing it's hard to attend any groups (or if you do go to groups it's hard to focus), and he probably hasn't even really begun to dive into what's behind his addiction. When he comes home I wouldn't expect too much of a change in him mentally. He'll be sober, which is great, but without doing much work on things there won't be much change aside from not taking pills. I've been in detox before and was also there for about 10 days one time and for me it just served as a safe place to detox. The real work begins once you are sober, and he's only been sober for the 10 days he was there. I'm not saying he's going to relapse or anything, I'm just trying to give you an idea of what to expect.

Is he going to continue counselling there? Some places that have detox programs also have outpatient programs for patients to do once they are discharged. And from what you said about this being a highly recommended facility they should have programs like that. He's going to have to do some pretty intense outpatient work to really start to solidify his recovery. It's great that he's taken the first step - getting sober - but to stay sober he's got to put in a lot of effort. I've known people who have done it on their own without any help but that's really taking the hard road when you don't have to - there are so many options out there that you shouldn't have to do it by yourself.

Oh, and one more thing... you mentioned he's being monitored and having his vitals taken several times a day while detoxing... that is completely normal for someone who is detoxing. From what I know that's the standard regimin for those in detox - I know it was for the places I was at. If his vitals were really bad and putting him danger they would have transferred him to a hospital for better evaluation and monitoring. So don't worry about that when he gets home - if he wasn't stable they wouldn't discharge him.

I hope things go well when he comes home - keep us posted!

Lizzy

Last edited by lizzy76; 06-26-2008 at 10:52 AM.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
(female)

itswaypasttime HB User

Hi, my name is kelly and I am a recovering pill abuser. First off are they detoxing him with anything like subutex, methadone, ect...? If they are then he will most likely be weened over about 8 days and then the detox part kicks in. Been there. I was in rehab for 11 days to detox and trust me my friend, he will most likely go through the worst w/d's when he gets home for about a week. But you don't really start feeling 100% for a couple of months. If they are detoxing without anything then he suffering tremdously but in good hands and won't feel as bad when he gets home because he should have already cleaned up by then. As far relasp goes, I think it depends on how bad a person wants to be sober. I haven't had a pill in 14 months and have had them offered to me and I turned them down, but I am now struggleing with alcholo abuse. I'm on day 2 without drinking and am starting my recoverey process again and will this time hopefully stay sober in everyway. I didn't stay with my meeting and have been drinking for 2 months straight. Best to have about of week off of work to help care for him when he comes home. Have plenty of chicken noodle soup and hot tea with honey. Have something handy for the stomach and cal/mag vitamens. Good luck and hope I helped

Old 06-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
(female)

nwahoski HB User

4 days in detox. The facility has been calling me daily with updates and he's starting to feel better. I got to talk to him last night. He wants to come home. I think thats pretty normal. But he said he is feeling much better. Just real worn out feeling. The whole program has been explained to me in depth. He was put on a taper system. They have him on suboxne (or something like that). He will be there for 10 days with all the cousiling and such. Then once released he will come back home (he's 7 hrs away) and they will already have his outpatient program set up. That is daily for 18 more days. After that we have to attend meetings twice a week for 1 month along with weekly meetings with the psychiatrist. If he were to miss a meeting/appt our insurance wont pay for anything. And right now the detox facility itself is $3000 a day. Thank you all for your thoughts. It makes things easier knowing I'm not alone. Thanks again!!!

Last edited by nwahoski; 06-28-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Closed Thread