It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
(female)

mariecan HB User
oxy w/d

Dr Fellow friends,

I am on my first day with out oxy and trying to do it on my own. Does anyone know how long the servere body aches and leg pain last?. I have been on Oxy for 10 years: 10mg three times a day. never needed to go up on the dose. I take it for chronic muscle pain/ TMJ, Doctor calls it fibromyalgia but I dont really believe in that diagnosis. I decided to stop on my own. I am tired of planning my life around pain meds. Today I feel very bad. The body aches are the worst. I cant even sit down. Any help or support would be appreciated.

Mariecan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User
Re: diary of oxy w/d

Hello mariecan,

Nice to meet you First of all, you really should be tapering, instead of just stopping the meds altogether. I can understand why you don't want your life to revolve around pain meds, believe me, I get it. BUT, your body is used to those doses, each and every day, so tapering would make it alot easier on you.

Should you decide to just grin and bear it, day 3 and 4 are typically the worst, so you've got a ways to go. There is a thread at the top of the board "Sample Home Detox" which has some really useful suggestions. If you can't sleep, try NyQuil or Benedryl, and use tylenol or advil for the pain. The restless legs syndrome is going to happen regardless, but you can try a hot bath (even 3 or 4 each day) to calm down your legs.

Does your doctor know you've decided to quit cold turkey? In my opinion, you should tell your doctor and perhaps consider a taper - you can do a fast taper (a couple weeks total), which will be alot easier on your body.

Whatever you decide, we're here for you - and hopefully we'll answer all your questions

Hugs,
emsmom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Marie

Welcome to the Board.

Marie, are you coming off of Oxycodone or Oxycontin? And have you been tapering or are you just stopping cold? Please share a bit more.

The body aches can get pretty bad in withdrawal. All pain will increase dramaticallly in withdrawal. Also, there will be some anxiety and emotional garbage that hits as the body gets used to the fact that no more drugs are coming in and it has to start producing its own drugs again in the brain.

Please read the second thread on this board called "Sample Home Detox" as it will give good advice of some things to help during this period.

Come share some more
reach

Old 06-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
(female)

mariecan HB User

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I decreased my dose from three a day to two a day for 2 days and took my last dose at 11pm last night. I am having terrible muscle pain and cant get comfortable. I already took benedryl, advil, immodium, zantac and a hot shower. I am on oxycontin. Did you say day three will be the worst. Why? I really want to get off the oxy and I can see why people are unable to stop. These muscle pains are awful. Also, why would you have restless leg either way. I have noticed if I take more than 3 oxys a day my legs hurt more. Is this common? Is today considered day 1? I dont know the half life of oxy.

Thank You all for the responses. Everything helps

Mariecan

Old 06-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Marie

It is a pretty dramatiic tapering there for sure, but if you can handle it, then good for you. Days 3-5 can be really rough symptom wise when going cold turkey. The diarreha will hit like nobody's business and sweats and shakes. The restless legs are a symptom of withdrawal... the brain sends out messengers looking for remnants of the drug and it causes those legs to jump. Hot baths, compresses, Bengay... those things can provide some degree of relief. It is most noticable when we are trying to rest because nothing is distracting us from it. Muscle pain is from the same source... body searches going on.

I am not sure ofthe half life of Oxycontin.

Marie, I admire your resolve to get off the meds greatly. I do think though that your doctor should be included in your plan. Many take clonodine while withdrawing, a blood pressure med, prescribed by their doctors and it seems to help with some of the symptoms.

Withdrawal can be a tough process. If it gets overwhelming, keep asking questions and do not forget to include your doctor...he really may be needed.

Best, best wishes
reach

Old 06-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Hello Mariecan,

Yes, today would be day 1 for you. I found day 3 and 4 to be the worst, however some people find day 5 to be just as bad. Nonetheless, you are now prepared

Reach gave some great suggestions (compresses, bengay, hot showers/baths), I completely agree But again, the "Sample Home Detox" has others that may help for you too.

Although it may seem near impossible, get outside and do something...anything...to get you moving. It will help distract from whats going on (as Reach said) instead of laying down and having nothing to think about except the withdrawals/pain/discomfort.

Keep in touch throughout the next few days and let us know how you're doing. You may find that others pop in and give suggestions, perhaps they've just been through w/d's or they remember all too clearly. I've had friends tell me things that aren't in the Sample Home Detox (friends from this board) but it worked for them, so I tried Some things worked profusely, others not so much, but everyone is different...so I hope you find what makes you comfortable and in less pain soon

Feel free to ask away

Love and Hugs,
emsmom

Old 06-27-2008, 04:49 AM   #7
(female)

mariecan HB User
Post Re: diary of oxy w/d

Dear fellow friends,

Thank you all for yours support. I cant believe I made it through last night. Today I feel very, very weak and the leg pains are bad. I also have cold/hot flashes frequent. For some reason I find it difiicult to concentrate. You know, when my doctor put me on this med he told me oxy was less dependant and people like myself in real pain do not become addicted. Ive been reading other pages and stories of people trying to w/d off oxy. I wonder if my doctor was right when oxy fisrt came out. All that time on oxy and I never built a tollerence or needed a higher dose. These w/d sysmptoms are terrible. I did discuss stopping the pain med with my pain doctor. He suggested against it since I have had great response, dont abuse, and never take more than I need. He did offer clonidine if I decided to stop however I also have low BP and was afriad to try. Thanks for all the advice. I hope I can make it through today.

Mariecan

Old 06-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #8
(female)

neesey62 HB User

I'll tell ya what guys, I've been through withdrawls so many times i'd never be able to handle it again!! My best suggestion is to sleep, sleep, sleep...if possible!! Once your detoxing is done.....it's the mental craving you'll have to put up with!! In my own opinion though....a lot of people suggest benzos (valium...ativan ....xanax...etc.) but i think they make the W/D's worse!! I suggest benadryl only because why replace something addictive as much as what you're trying to get off of?? GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS YOU!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
(male)

dorskin HB User

It is great to hear you are on your way Mariecan. I am on day 41 off Oxy and Im doing great. My w/d lasted about a week to 9 days. I was taking a lot more, but not nearly as long. So I wish you good luck. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and you can (as I did) make it through.

Some members gave me some real good advice in the thread I started "3days off Oxy" and it really helped. The getting up and moving was probably the hardest thing, but I was able to sleep after moving. This is manageable though, you didn't become addicted in a day so its going to take some time.

Good luck and keep us posted

d

Old 06-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
(female)

mariecan HB User

dorskin and fellow health board members,

Thank you so much for your support. I cant tell you how much everyones kind notes/encouragement has helped.

dorskin- I am courious- What do you do for pain management now. Or if anyone else has the answer, please chime in. I know I started oxycontin for very real pain. I dont think I was an "addict", however if I missed a dose I would have w/d sx. I never took more than I needed or abused it. What am I going to do for pain management. Cant take nsaids because of servere acid reflux/ulcers. I have been taking advil to help with w/d's but the heartburn is bad. I dont want to start anything with a potential for addiction again.

Well I have been counting down the hours since my last dose and praying the leg pains go away soon. To be honest, I feel exhausted but cant sleep because of the leg aches.
Now I am starting to have what feels like heart palpatations/anxiety.

thanks to everyone, I truely appreciate all the input.

Mairecan

Old 06-27-2008, 09:45 PM   #11
(male)

dorskin HB User

Hey Mariecan

I was taking Aleve for the pain, but took too much one day and my face swelled like the Stay Puft marshmellow man. I told my Dr that I wanted something that was non-narcotic. He wrote me a script for Ultram (Tramadol). It is a med that doesn't require approval every refill, handy, and can also tackle my sciatic nerve pain. His only thing was that its not for addicts as it can "somewhat" be habit forming due to its ability to dull pain, addicts beware. He said that anything more than 8/day and you run the risk of seizures. I have been taking for a few days now. I don't get a buzz or any type of euphoric affect from it, so I am happy with it.

The leg twitches were/have been the hardest thing for me (other than the actual staying clean) At night they seem to kick up and it drives me nuts. I have been given Xanax for a panic disorder. I don't like the fact that I have to take pills to be normal, but they seem to help when the legs get restless. I will take a 1/2 pill.....about .25mg Thats not even the dosage that is prescribed, its just enough to take the edge off. I spoke with my sponsor and he told me if I could get my Dr to sign off on it I would be still be living "clean". The last thing I want to do is abuse meds again so I will be watching these very closely.

Good luck there Mariecan, I am on quite a bit so chat away. Always willing to talk

d

Old 06-28-2008, 12:18 AM   #12
(male)

Lou1 HB User

Be very careful with the Ultram. It is actually an opiate and has properties that affect the serotonin levels in your brain. The withdrawal coming off Ultram can be quite bad, with an increased likeliness of depression issues caused by the serotonin disruption when Ultram is stopped.

Lou

Old 06-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #13
(female)

mariecan HB User

Hello fellow health board members,

Today is day 3 and it is tough. I am running on little sleep, the mood swings are frequent and the muscle pains seem to come and go. I dont know if this is a good sign or not. It took all my energy and 2hrs to get a load of laundry done. Oh, also the headaches/neck pain rate a 10 today.
I keep trying to tell myself its all worth it but a little voice in my head trys to talk me into restarting my oxy. I have frequent toughts of rationalizing the reasons I should vs the reason why I should not take my oxy. I knew I would feel bad but honestly thought after day 2 I would be feeling much better. I really do find myself thinking how the pain would go away and I can function again if I just started. I wonder when these feeling will go away and when will my energy return.
Good news is no oxycontin since wed 11pm. Still continue to count the days. I also continue to read other peoples entries to follow their recovery. I really do feel like it helps. Along with everyones support.
I should mention my family thinks I have the stomach flu. My fellow board members are my only support.

Thanks for the notes
Mariecan

Old 06-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
(male)

crabber68 HB User

Today is day 4 for me and I am starting to feel a little better. The anxiety has dropped some and I'm getting hungry but nothing tastes or smells very good plus I still have some stomache cramping. We are almost through this. Don't give up on me and I won't give up on you and together we will get through this.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:41 AM   #15
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User

Mariecan, crabber,you,too...
Both of you please hang in there. Days 3 and 4 are tough, but if you can get over the next day or two, the very worst of the wd's will be over. I'm not saying its going to be easy by any means, but please stay strong and think about what a horrible life it is being addicted to oxycontins is, and also please know that there is hope and peace once you get thru this.
I know. I was addicted to oxy for a long time and am not anymore by the grace of God and the support on this board.
YOU CAN DO THIS.
The energy will come back, I promise. You will sleep again. I know what you are going thru.It is awful but it gets better and better by the day so HANG IN THERE.
Be strong. Try Praying. It helped me tremendously to beg for help from my maker after many years of serious abuse.
Read alot here. Post alot here. Know that there are people here who care.
Looking forward to talking to you in a few weeks, and then a month of you being clean...*smile*

Know that there is hope. You can do this and I am so very proud of the both of you.

*peace*

jerry.

Closed Thread