It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
(female)

emsmomtina HB User
New here. Just wanted to talk to people who understand

Hi Everyone,

My name is Tina. And I've recently found out that I was addicted to Vicodin. I have Arnold Chiari Malformation, I broke my back in a horse riding accident, have diverticulitis, and I think I'm flirting with fibromyalgia. My neuro is very generous with drugs when you have a legit pain problem. I had the decompression surgery 10 years ago, but since then, my brain has settled even further down in my spinal canal, and my CSF isn't moving as well as it should. The brainstem compression makes me crazy with leg pain, nerve pain in my feet and headaches. 4 days ago I went back to the neuro for a check up, and he suggested giving Diamox a try and see if that can help with the pressure headaches by reducing the CSF production. The next day, I woke up for the 1st time in probably 6 months without a headache., so I decided no Vicodin today. For the past 2-3 months, I've taken 1 or 2 per day in the evenings after sitting at a desk for 10 hours per day. I never realized I could get addicted on that low of a dose, but now I realize it's more how long I've taken it rather than how much. The past 3 days have been bad. My entire body is just screaming in pain(all in the joint areas), my nose is running, and I'm just miserable. The 1st night I took a Valium to get through it, but then realized I didn't want to trade one addiction for another. How long should I be feeling like this? The only thing I'm so happy about, is that I haven't had 1 headache in 4 days. That is a miracle. I realize now that I was taking my Vicodin for other things than it was precribed for (still legit pain) but I don't want to do that anymore. I've taken 4 Advil today, and my thumbs still hurt so bad, that it's hard to type all this.

Sorry for the book. Thanks for any advice.

Tina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User
Re: New here. Just wanted to talk to people who understand

Hello Tina,

Welcome to the board

Good for you, for recognizing that you're an addict. There's a fine line between dependence and addiction and most addicts can't even remember when they crossed it.

Typically, days 3 and 4 are the worst for withdrawals, so you should start feeling better tomorrow. There is a thread at the top of this board titled "Sample Home Detox." Take a look at it. There are alot of great suggestions that can help ease the symptoms of w/d.

Does your doctor know you've decided to quit, cold turkey? Its important that you discuss your plans with your doctor, that way he/she can monitor your recovery.

There are some really wonderful people on this board so if you have any questions, just ask

Good luck, and I hope you feel better real soon.

Hugs,
emsmom

P.s nice screen name

Old 07-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
(female)

emsmomtina HB User

Thanks Emsmom. I'll check out the home detox plan.

I hope I don't confuse everyone with our similar screen names. <removed> How old is your Em? Mine's 4.

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-18-2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: please keep these Boards anonymous

Old 07-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Hey Tina,

You're welcome. I think you'll get alot of use out of the Sample Home Detox thread - I found it very useful.

My "em" (Emily) is 5. Such a great age

Enjoy your day,
emsmom

Old 07-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #5
(female)

adventurer HB User

Hi Tina,

Welcome to the board. I can truly say these people are wonderful. I'm a newbie myself and in a few short weeks they've embraced me as family and supported me when I needed it most. They (We) will do the same for you. Emsmom, Friend, Mecan, and way too many others to name will be answering you soon, I have no doubt!

As for your situation, all I can say is that I too have chronic pain and a myriad of other problems. For all of us, our situation is different, but what makes us all the same is that we have recognized we have a problem and are trying to fix it. We all have ups and downs and slips and falls, but we will pick you up when and if you fall, and laugh and cry with you day or night.

I can also tell you that emsmom is right day 3 and 4 were the worst for me. Today is day 5 and compared to those days I feel SO much better, but I still have a long way to go. It will get better, I promise.

Again, welcome!

A~

Old 07-18-2008, 11:09 PM   #6
(male)

Mecan HB User

no doubt this is a good place. i cant relate to the legit kinda pain other than a couple routine type surgeries but many others can and will help ya. we all pretty much feel the same detoxing though. rather than write a book id say check alot of emsmoms posts and all others, especially on those hard days coming up im sorry youve had such a rough road and hope ya the best.

also im a meathead i always thought emsmom name was a mom that was a paramedic or something heh and thought darn paramedics must have a hard time being around all those meds lol hope youre having a better day and gettin some good sleep right now

Old 07-19-2008, 07:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Mecan,

LOL, someone else said the same thing a while ago. They assumed I was a paramedic.

Just wanted to let you know, you're not the only one And, you're not a meathead

Have a great day.

Em's mom

Old 07-21-2008, 07:25 AM   #8
(female)

laci777 HB User

Hi , Im new here, I just wanted to say I had a son that died from using. Stay close to your family no matter what.

Last edited by laci777; 07-22-2008 at 01:00 AM.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:19 AM   #9
(female)

emsmomtina HB User

Thank you for all the replies!

I didn't make it through the weekend I fell some steps onto concrete. I'm a big girl, so it was a hard fall. My 1st reaction once my husband got the bleeding stopped was to go take a Vicodin. I knew I was going to start hurting, and didn't even think about how good I was. And then I kept taking them all weekend. I stopped taking them yesterday, so I guess today is day 1.

How do we get through this? What happens when something happens like this, or if we have to have surgery? I'm sure my elbow could have used about 3 stitches, but I didn't bother going to the hospital. If I did though, I'm sure I would have been prescribed something for the pain, and here we go again.

Closed Thread