It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
End stages of alcoholism...Anyone experienced with this?

Is there anyone out there who has had experience dealing with a friend, or family member in the late stages of alcoholism?

A dear friend is facing this now, and I just don't know what to expect next. He's at the point where fluid is filling his body, and has to be drained out in the emergency room. This has happened twice in the last ten days, totaling 13 liters of fluid so far.

What next... has anybody out there gone through this?

Thank you very much.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Re: End stages of alcoholism...Anyone experienced with this?

Hi Writeleft--I am so sorry for what you are going through watching this poor soul suffering which in turn causes your suffering. I am a recovering alcoholic 24 years sober and this disease runs in my family and extended family as well. I watched a dear aunt suffer with cirrhosis causing ammoniated urine and excrement and a brownish-yellow tinge to her skin and had to wear a diaper. I had a great-grandmother who also died from cirrhosis who I did not know but what I do know about each of them from opposite sides of my family that they both suffered from anxiety and depression and this was probably the only medication that there was years ago prior to 1950. I have been in treatment for depression for many years and I get angry that treatment wasn't available for these wonderful women. My "outside looking in" experience is limited, but it didn't make me want to cry any less because these were sensitive women that had hard lives and probably needed an extra hug once in a while. I will say a prayer for you and your friend that you each find comfort and peace. God bless & take care--Hopeto--

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2009, 01:41 AM   #3
(female)

DallasAlice HB User

My father died of cirrhosis of the liver and the fluid build up you are describing sounds like the same thing he had...it's called ascites. It's usually a sign of the end of things. I don't mean to sound callous or harsh by any means, please know that. It's just so familiar to what I witnessed. Once the ascites began, he lost control of his bowels and what did come out looked like coffee grounds. He was put on morphine for pain, and he lasted about 5-7 more days. I hope your friend is not at this stage and has perhaps found relief via the draining of fluid. I only tell you about my experience given the title of your post. I wish you and your friend the best outcome possible, no pain, and a comfortable existence.

Best wishes,
Dallas Alice

Old 01-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Hey writeleft,

I am sorry but I do not have any experience with this illness. However, I wanted to tell you that I am very sorry to hear you are going thru this. I am sure this is a very scary time and it will take great strength to get thru.

We are here for you... Can you give us an update on how things are going... I think your posts could help a lot of people on here that deal with alcoholism too! Thanks for sharing!

You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers!
~Secrets

Old 01-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

sorry you are having to go thru this write. unfortunetly i don't have alot of time right now but will come back tomorrow. my son went thru liver failure(age 13),which was from an inherited liver/kidney disease but from what his GI doc said,he had the liver of someone who drank for like forty years and it was pretty much the same as having cirrhosis. he had fibers taking over his liver.

i just wanted to ask a couple of questions. has there been any mention of possible transplant at all? i know the governing body of all organ Tx in the US is UNOS,and they DO have some very strict rules about drinking and actually getting a new liver or even being placed upon that list. one of them, is he cannot have drank in about a years time just to be placed,but on the other hand,a live donor lobe from a relative is always a possibility too depending upon how much true liver was not actually damaged in the recipient? they need that billiary tree in order to do the live donor,but don't with a whole cadaver liver. has he been told he has portal hypertension or has he been vomiting up blood at all? when did he last drink any alcohol,do you know? have they actually performed any procedures on him like the TIPS?

if you could get any more solid info,espescially anything he has been actually diagnosed as having or stage of "being in" it would help me to help you in the very best way. the more specific the better if you can. again,i really am sorry for what you and he is going thru right now. liver failure i know,is not pretty. Marcia

Old 01-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey write. were you able to obtain anymore new info on things here yet? it really would be the best way to tell you or at least try just where he may be at. there are just soo many contributing factors invloved with any level of real true organ failure that it is just really hard to tell without that info just where someone is at with this.

the ascities that was mentioned above,which is just alot of fluid retention within the abdominal area(at its worst,it can be full body edema too) that comes along with liver failure,can actually occur at just about any stage with this crap. like i mentioned before,it all depends upon the overall factors involved with the individual persons disease level and what parts of the liver are actually damaged/involved with loss of function/damage. any new info you can get will help alot. if you could answer the Tx questions for me that would be great too. there IS some hope here,it all depends on those individual factors. marcia

Closed Thread