It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
(male)

randomperson28 HB User
stopped heroin but now have immune system skin problems

I have also been experiencing skin problems while i was on heroin. I was a smoker for 2 years and am coming up on one year of being clean. Ive always had acute eczema that was not a problem, but the heroin gave me minor rashes here and there. I would always itch in my sleep and while i was high. In my case the problem wasn't when i was on it, because i was still able to control it (somewhat), but when i became clean.
Right when i stopped i got rashes and lumps on my face. It would soon cover everywhere, even behind my ears and neck. The rashes and lumps became raw without touching it and would excrete pus constantly until it would harden, leaving a 2 cm mask of pus on my head (my scalp as well). I couldn't open my mouth to eat or even move an inch without feeling the mask lag behind(chilling and awful feeling). My condition was so bad that no doctor in the country (1st world country) i was rehabilitating at have ever seen anything like this or how to cure the problem i flew back home just to see my dermatologist(2 days around the world for that). The doctor gave me a regular cortisone shots until my skin healed over. i then got an allergy test a month later and realized i was allergic to pretty much everything i ate and came into contact with. I guess what im saying is get an allegory test if u haven't had one ( and don't take hot showers... hoooorible for the skin but feels good).
My doctor told me to avoid alcohol, hot showers, cold weather (i think hot weather is worse) and to get enough rest because being tired makes u weaker and more susceptible to bacterial infections. My skin stays clear for about 1 month and then it always start to break out again but i always get a cortisone shot to keep it under control . I have probably received over 50 shots in my *** and it now numb to needles.

Im not sure my story helps because i guess im looking for help as well. Effects on the immune system and how to "heal" it. My treatment cortisone shots (well over 50, they say if they don't work then why get them... but trust me they work for me). and just any advice that would help

ps: my girlfriend both have the heroin problem but her skin is perfect and she doesn't itch. even after she became clean.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-14-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: heroin and the immune system

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson28 View Post
I am coming up on one year of being clean.
Congratulations on your accomplishment...You should feel very good about yourself.

Quote:
My doctor told me to avoid alcohol, hot showers, cold weather (i think hot weather is worse) and to get enough rest because being tired makes u weaker and more susceptible to bacterial infections.
Yes, your Doc is correct. I haven't heard the one about hot showers though. But, given your issue with skin problems, it does make sense.

Quote:
Im not sure my story helps because i guess im looking for help as well. Effects on the immune system and how to "heal" it.
Once off the meds, the immune system will repair itself. As to how long it takes, I'm not actually sure, but I would guess that given the length of time you've been off meds, it's got to be close, if not normal. As to your skin problem, that may or may not be the result of the meds. Everyone is different, and some people have side effects, while others do not. Additionally, you may be predisposed to skin problems for some other reason.

Take care,

Ex

Closed Thread