It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
(male)

steelersfan1 HB User
Klonopin for 2.5 weeks, cold turkey what to expect HELP!!

Been on .5 mg in am and .5 at night.

Am in the beginnings of a divorce because I am on this (had 7 year battle with pain meds....TMJ replacement>then continual use).

I run 2 miles a day, so expect this to help take off the edge, but for this short of time, what should I expect.

I have seen some HORRIBLE withdrawl videos <removed> for benzos. Course they were on for years and not weeks.

Always scared of withdrawl and damn if this isn't helping at least in the short term with my lousy marriage. But its this or not being able to see my kids (meeting divorce lawywer tomorrow).

Please, please advise.

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-18-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User
Re: Klonopin for 2.5 weeks, cold turkey what to expect HELP!!

Well, I am sorry to hear about all of these bad things going on with your life. Sounds like the pills took a lot away from you! Sorry to hear that.

I don't know anything about klonopin but if I understand you correctly... you are quitting your pain meds cold turkey? I heard klonopin can help with w/d but I don't know anything more than that..

I wish you luck... Maybe there is a way things can be salvaged if you are making a change? It's never too late to try.. Family is very important..

Good luck to you!
~Secrets

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
(male)

steelersfan1 HB User

Hi,

No I have been completely off of pain meds of many months.

Worried about the short term use of Klonopin. Am in the midst of a divorce and it is the glue that is holding me together. Calms me down, can function perfectly at work, etc.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User

ohhhh. I see...

Hmm.. I have no idea then. Maybe someone else on here will have more info for you!

Divorce is the most horrible thing to get thru... It sucks all the life out of you and I hope for your sake stopping the klonopin isn't too difficult.. If you don't mind me asking.. Why did they put you on it and why are they taking you off of it after only 2.5 weeks.. If you don't want to answer you don't have to. I understand.

Hang in there. Take care of yourself!
~Secrets

Old 11-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User

This is just to make you smile.. Seems like you could use a giggle..

GO VIKINGS!!! hahahah yes, from Minnesota.. We are die hards here.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
(male)

steelersfan1 HB User

Tomlin was a good pickup from the Vikings.

I have steelers stuff all over my cube at work. I"m a steelers freak.

I live in Philly (for last 9 years) but my hearts in Pittsburgh. At night, the most beautiful town in America (not that I"ve seen them all ).

Thursday night game Steelers against the Bungles.

Steelers will git r done.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

I've been on Klonopin for a few yrs - 2 mg a day. I can't imagine that you would have any withdrawal symptoms considering the dose and the short time you've been taking them.

Best wishes,

JB

Old 11-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
(female)

TaCot HB User

Secrets! My brother and Dad are diehard Vikings fans. So, I like them too, but I have to stick with my Broncos!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 07:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Well good luck tonight! My husband has to watch EVERY game... Football season consist a lot of me cooking and hosting the guys over.. I surprised my hubby with a new HD Big Screen TV about 2 months ago and since then... I just can't seem to get the guys to watch football anywhere but at our house.. UGH.
So... the game will be on at our house tonight! Good Luck to your Steelers.

Terri, that is funny that your Dad and Brother are Vikings fans.. You know.. one thing about a vikings fan.. no matter how much our team sucks at times we still love the Vikes just the same!! hahaha However, I will say that this season has made the family room a heck of a loud place to be.... Not so good for those great football naps!

Well, hope your days are great!
~Secrets

Old 11-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Steelersfan,

After only 2 1/2 weeks of use there should be know kinds of w/d at all. This is not a length of time to cause dependence. I use Klonopin on a prn basis and have been for 2 months, sometimes I'll take it once or twice a day for 2 straight weeks, then won't take one for 3 or 4 days. So, you shouldn't have any problems.

If you do, 'd be interested in knowing, because I would be incredibly shocked.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #11
(female)

MvingForwrd HB User

Hi Steelers! Maybe I can be of some help. I have generalized anxiety disorder, and have been taking Klonopin on a daily basis for about four years now. I have .5 mg tabs, but my dose has varied from 1 tab a day to 3 tabs a day depending on the level of my anxiety.

After going through a really rough patch where I was up to three a day (1.5 mg a day), I decided to start tapering down to where I once was. As my doctor explained it, the biggest problem with Klonopin is that it is an anti-seizure medication, so going cold turkey can cause seizures. The recommendation for me has been to taper slowly . . . cut the pills in half and go down by 1/2 at a time, or even 1/4 pill at a time.

That said, it sounds like you're on a pretty low dose of Klonopin, and have been taking it for a very short time, so you may not have any problems at all. But if in doubt, try breaking your .5 mg tabs in half to try 1/4 mg twice a day, then 1/4 mg once a day, then done. You're not taking all that much. I really think you'll be fine.

Different people react differently to medications, but I have never had a problem tapering down from benzos. It's pain meds that are currently causing problems for me (that's a different issue that I'm going to need to post on).

Kathy

Closed Thread