It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

haylz263 HB User
Alcohol induced coma

Hi, i was just wondering if anybody could give me more information about an alcohol induced coma. My ex partner was taken into hospital, he has been drinkin for many years and had been drinking the night before. He was fine in the morning but by 3 o'clock was coughing blood and was not very responsive. The ambulance was called at which, by the time they had arrived he was unconscious. He was put on a ventilator as he was not able to breathe. Two days later he was able to breathe unassisted but still remained in a coma. A CT scan showed something on his brain but the doctors have said they do not know if there is any brain damage until he wakes up which could be weeks or months. I have been looking across the internet for information and th only information i can seem to get is on when a person has drank too much alcohol and then goes into a coma. In this case that is not what happened he fell into a coma when he was sober but had been drinking the night before. He is an alcoholic and has been drinking many years. The doctors hav said that the drinking has caused him to go into the coma. I just wanted more information on why this has happened.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2008, 04:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TomsWife HB User
Re: Alcohol induced coma

HI, My name is Marilyn and I am definatley an alcoholic. You say that your friend has been drinking for many years. Even if he was not drinking at the time he fell into a coma, if he was like me in my drinking days, he wasnt "sober". Alcohol stays in the system for a long time for those of us that drank everday. So again, while he may not have had a drink in his hand so to speak, he may have still had a ton of alcohol in his system. I hope he recovers and finds a way of life with out alcohol that is second to none. I have. Prayers for you and his family.
Marilyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

this could possibly be a couple different things,espescially given his history and the fact that they have actually found 'something" going on within his brain. i think this could be much more related to his liver and the alcoholism than something actually wrong within his brain per se. the brain issues could be partly from the fallout from chronic alcoholism,espescially the way you explained what occured with him. if he has some level of liver disease(have they checked that yet?) what can happen with that is his portal vein can become blocked with scar tissue(cirhosis) which in turn(the P vein actually clears any ammonia from our blood as it passes thru it)causes not only a huge back up of blood into the liver and the spleen(it creates whats called portal hypertension),but also would create a very high ammonia level,its called alcoholic encephalopathy, to occur too.

for some strange reason,ammonia attaches very readily to the brain cells. in his case,it could be the actual ammonia level that is really causing his non response right now. but he could have also suffered some level of stroke or other brain event too(only becasue that portal hypertension would create much much higher levels of pressure with tiny fragile veins not used to actually carrying high pressure blood flow,it would affect everything above his liver with higher pressure). finding out just what the brain "issue" actually is all about would help alot in helping you with info. also finding out just what extent of liver involvement would help tons right now as well. did he actually cough up blood or throw it up?

my son went thru liver failure back in 99-2000, not from alcohol(he was only age 12) but from a congenital inherited freaky kidney liver disorder,but his liver was like that of a chronic alcoholic who supposedly had drank for like forty years from what his GI doc said. so i am very very familiar with the symptoms. any info you can provide would help me to help you. i do hope your friend gets better soon,but do try and find out as much as you can right now. good luck,Marcia

Old 12-31-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
(female)

haylz263 HB User

He is conscious now but he cannot speak and he is not aware of his surroundings. he doesnt know who anyone is he doesnt even look like he knows anything at all. The doctors said that it could be permanent or he could make a full recovery only time can say. It is really heartbreaking to see someone you care bout so much in that condition it's not a way of life.

I found out the next day after creating this thread that also cocaine and insulin was found in his system. His diabetic friend who he had been drinking with the night before told me that the doctors said there was no insulin found in his system, when in fact there was. I don't understand why his "friend" was hiding this at first and is now lying about it. I think they may have done something to him. His blood sugar was really low is that because of the insuin in his sytem? They said when it is so low there is not enough oxygen getting to the brain. Is it because of the insulin why he is in this condition or is it a mixture of all three?

Last edited by haylz263; 12-31-2008 at 10:28 AM.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:35 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

haylz,

Sorry your having such a rough go of it. I don't mean for this to sound like a dumb questions, but have you asked his doctors these questions, about the insulin and such, what damage they might have caused? That might be the easiest way to get an answer, they might not have thought to to mention anything about that to you, since it's an atypical situation. Just a thought.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

his blood sugar could be low for alot of different reasons. have they thoroughly checked out the possiblitiy of some level of diabetes, or other possible pancreatic issues(which govern the blood sugar and release of insulin).how is his liver actually doing and what was said about the brain "finding"(was this a stroke like incident or something else?) and his current state of what sounds like real confusion? have they actually checked out his ammonia level do you know? one big thing about too much ammonia running thru our bodies is like i mentioned in that other post,it DOES attach itself very readily to the brain cells which in turn can create ALOT of mental coudiness and realization issues? it REALLY can affect overall brain function in a very big way when its simply way to high and not clearing normally. if thats the case,they DO need to get that level down soon before this does become a permanent brain damage issue.but not actually knowing anything solid here really makes it rather difficult to give you any solid answers and or advice as well,you know what i mean?

it really sounds like there just is alot that you don't know for certain. the best thing to do here would be speak to him or his family members who would be getting periodic updates on his condition. i really would like to know myself just what it was that showed up in that brain scan. this just needs some real answers,ya know? knowing just how much actual liver involvement is really going on here would also help alot. please continue to keep us posted, marcia

Old 01-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
(female)

haylz263 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
haylz,

Sorry your having such a rough go of it. I don't mean for this to sound like a dumb questions, but have you asked his doctors these questions, about the insulin and such, what damage they might have caused? That might be the easiest way to get an answer, they might not have thought to to mention anything about that to you, since it's an atypical situation. Just a thought.
Hiya yes love i have asked their reluctant to give answers because we are not married and he cannot prove who I am as he cannot speak I have got in touch with his sisters so they are coming to see him and i will be able to get more answers then hopefully

Old 01-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
(female)

haylz263 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
his blood sugar could be low for alot of different reasons. have they thoroughly checked out the possiblitiy of some level of diabetes, or other possible pancreatic issues(which govern the blood sugar and release of insulin).how is his liver actually doing and what was said about the brain "finding"(was this a stroke like incident or something else?) and his current state of what sounds like real confusion? have they actually checked out his ammonia level do you know? one big thing about too much ammonia running thru our bodies is like i mentioned in that other post,it DOES attach itself very readily to the brain cells which in turn can create ALOT of mental coudiness and realization issues? it REALLY can affect overall brain function in a very big way when its simply way to high and not clearing normally. if thats the case,they DO need to get that level down soon before this does become a permanent brain damage issue.but not actually knowing anything solid here really makes it rather difficult to give you any solid answers and or advice as well,you know what i mean?

it really sounds like there just is alot that you don't know for certain. the best thing to do here would be speak to him or his family members who would be getting periodic updates on his condition. i really would like to know myself just what it was that showed up in that brain scan. this just needs some real answers,ya know? knowing just how much actual liver involvement is really going on here would also help alot. please continue to keep us posted, marcia
I will do as i have said to kaitlin i have managed to get in touch with his sisters they do not live here they are coming to see him and give their details to be the next of kin. Hopefully i will get more answers then as i cannot be the next of kin as we were not married and the only one person that can verify who I say I am and say that it is ok for me to have information is him, which he is not able to do at the moment.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

so sorry for the situation you are in,that really has to be rather difficult at best given his current status. hopefully as you said,his sisters will be able to keep you in the loop of all things. i do hope things turn around for him. just finding out for certain what showed up in that brain scan alone would help alot in better defining what his true status is and why. please keep us posted as to what you can find out,K? hang in there, Marcia

Closed Thread