It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
(female)

dfav1224 HB User
Quitting heroine cold turkey

i am addicted to herion for about 2 years now and tomorrow i plan to try to stop cold turkey, i have scripts to help for sleep and anxiety but i am afraid that i am going to withdraw really bad. what do you suggest i do?

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-14-2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User
Re: Quitting heroine cold turkey

Hello dfav,

I would suggest looking at the Sample Home Detox thread at the top of this board. It has some great suggestions to help with withdrawal. Having something to help with sleep is great - as you probably won't be able to sleep for a few days.

Good luck going cold turkey. I admire your strength

emsmom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: Quitting heroine cold turkey

Hi dfav,
emsmom is right about suggesting you to read the sample home detox thread that has suggestions of many things that might benefit and aide you with the symptoms you may be going through when you detox.

personally, I highly admire your determination to do this on your own.
I experienced withdrawal 9 years ago what it's like to come off of heroin COLD turkey and believe me, it is nothing like I've ever experienced in my whole life.

I too became addicted to heroin thinking that just by snorting it would prevent me from becoming addicted to it. What a joke! I was just doing it on the weekends and before I knew it, I was doing anything possible to get my hands on it even before going to work. I hid it for a year from my family members, my employer and coworkers. I hated myself for becoming an addict and I tried so hard to stop it on my own only to discover the painful detoxing effects one goes through to get this stuff out of your body.
Our MIND might want to quit it, but the body and all it's cells had become dependent on it without us even knowing what was going on.

I lived all alone at the time and I was just divorced, which set me off into the drug world because I hated being alone, it became my lover and my enemy at the same time.

I took off work one day because I could not move out of bed because I had no strength to even make myself a cup of coffee. I was determined to get myself detoxed but to my dismay, it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be to get help from the outside world. I thought people cared, but they don't.
the medical facilities want money, which of course I didn't have.

I was on the phone for half the day and by chance an angel from above answered the phone at the emergency room at my local hospital and told me to come in and have my vital signs evaluated and that it can be very dangerous to detox on your own because your blood pressure can sky rocket.

My thoughts of going to the ER in the town where I grew up in entered my mind that someone I know might see the condition I was in. I looked and felt like i was dying. I almost didn't go but thank God I did, the nurse told me they could NOT turn me away for help by law, so I went in and my blood pressure and vital signs were so dangerously high that they admitted me.

I thought that they would put me on methadone to help me detox off the heroin but their rules were they couldn't unless I was already on a script for it upon entering. I waited to speak to the social worker who helps the patient do a set up plan when you leave and I begged them to get me into a methadone clinic which there happened to be a waiting list of a few days upon leaving the hospital.
they try to make you as comfortable as possible with the medicines they can give to you, like anti diahrea med's and lots of fluids and vitamin shots, etc.
it helped me tremendously and I'm greatful to this day I made the decision of going to the hospital.
I must warn you though, that just because they're nurses and doctors, doesn't mean they won't judge a person who is an addict. they stigmatize people, which can be so cruel.
drug addiction can afflict ANYONE. It doesn't matter if you're a doctor or a nurse or a teacher, etc.
I've KNOWN doctors to be addicts themselves, and yes, even nurses.
we're only human and humans make mistakes. that's how we learn.

That's why I have compassion for people who are addicts. they are obviously hurting inside and want to feel better. it's a spiritual battle within ourselves.
people who've never abused drugs simply do not understand .

I've learned from my experience, that you have to be very very careful with detoxing on your own at home. IF at all possible, and IF you have insurance, I would advise you to either call your doctor or go to the ER at your local hospital if you start to feel so horrible that you can't take it.

You're fighting with a drug so powerful that it's brought kingdoms down.

I really wish you the best and if you're up to it physically, keep in touch. We're all here to help you if you need some support.
You have mine 100%

sincerely,
Linda

Closed Thread