It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
(female)

smith9 HB User
how to quit suboxone cold turkey

how to quit suboxone cold turkey

Old 01-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: how to quit suboxone cold turkey

Hi Smith

Im am sorry, but I have no answer for you because I believe it is a mistake to stop Suboxone cold turkey. Is it being prescribed by a doctor? Best bet is to seek medical help in developing a plan to taper off... quickly if you wish, but definitely a taper.

Wishing you well
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
(female)

smith9 HB User

Don't have a choice-I ran out and can't get any till Monday.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Smith9,

Are you doing okay? I am not sure if going cold turkey is safe.. I think it's best to at least call your local hospital to see if you are in any harm. I would hate for something to happen to you.

Please post an update. Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing. Life is precious...

~Secrets

Old 01-24-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
(female)

smith9 HB User

Well it is 8:06 am and I'm doing okay. Last night I drank plenty of water and sucked on a hershey bar. They say sweets lessons the DT's. I think if I stay strong I can do it. I have no choice but to sweet it out. As far as hospitals go they feel that you are doing it to yourself. If you have not been in this predicament before there is no way you can relate. I hate to even talk to the medical profession. My doctor who prescribes my suboxone is very cool about me calling for backup but I feel I have taken advantage of him too many times and don't want him to loose his license because of my stupid mistakes. He is the only one (for a pretty penny of course) that understood my addiction. But I guess with every sweet there comes a price. If you need help bad enough you will find it.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Hey!

It was so good to hear from you! You scared me for a little bit last night but you seem to be doing pretty good right now.

Yes, sweating it out does suck.. The misery of detoxing is something no one can understand unless they have been thru it themselves. That is why I am glad you found us!

Keeping up with your fluids is a GOOD thing and try to eat something when you can.. Anything... you need any strength you can get right now.

So.. are you planning on getting back on the sub Monday then or are you going to keep going detoxing from it?

I hope you hang in there and I hope there is someone that is around you that can help take care of you right now because I am pretty sure you are feeling really miserable. Well, wherever you are out there.... I am sending some healing vibes your way!

I will pray for you also to find strength and peace during this difficult time.
~Secrets

Old 01-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
(female)

smith9 HB User

I'm ok-I know come Monday I will be at the pharmacy-but I really can't say. I will let you know. Peace and thanks for the vibes-keep em' coming

Old 01-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

Since you seem to be doing so well coming this far, maybe if you do decide on taking the meds on Monday, start out with a lower dose and see if you can maintain at the 1 mg/day level?? Try that for a while. See what happens. Don't let your body convince you that you need more. You've already started to detox, why not try to continue it. The one thing I learned in this group is the lower the level the better to be able to get off of it down the road. What do you think? When you do decide to stop altogether, we're all here to support you!! Listen to your heart, not your body!

Old 01-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
(female)

smith9 HB User

Oh I know I should get off, I have tried so hard to find that person I used to be. You know I never took any pain meds for my 3 children I had natural delivers and I am 105 lbs. 5"3. All baby's were over 91/2 lbs. I try so hard to reach that person but man it's so easy to retreat back to feeling good. Right now I feel like I want to jump out of my skin. If I were alone I could do things to soothe myself. But I am letting my mind take over. I'm trying to protect my family from worry. I will see another day but I just want to feel normal. As I told "secrets" I will see what the day will bring. If I can soldier on I will. How about you? Are you ok. You are better than me, if I knew I had percacet in the house I would take it. I just wouldn't have that strength anymore. My mind keeps going to that place where I constantly think of what I could do. I over do it of course, but I ahve that personality that when I want something I ain't going to stop till I snowball. And don't freak out, I'm not talking about hitting the street and looking for relieve I just think there has to be something out there legally to take to get rid of these symptoms.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:03 AM   #10
(female)

ANGELINMICHIGAN HB UserANGELINMICHIGAN HB User

smith 9. Hi, I hope today you are feeling well. I would like you to read my story. Type in under "suboxone" in the square at the top of the health boards. My story will pop up under "Suboxone Detox", "Chronic Pain" and Insomnia. I took just detoxed off of "suboxone". My addictionologist tapered me off very very slowly. I was on it for approx. 4 months 2mg. once in the morning and eventually went to lMG and then to 1/2 a pill down to a 1/4 even to 1/8 and for a week I was taking a crumb!!!!! The crumb was starting to put me in a bit of a funk, I was so tired and had no energy and knew that I was starting a bit of withdrawl. I quit after a crumb and it was not easy at all. I don't want to go into my story and repeat myself, it is on these boards several times.

I just wish you luck and hopefully you didn't go back on the suboxone today or if you did!!!!! follow up with your doctor exactly how to do it to hopefully make it easier on you. I am here if you need to ask questions. You could start a new thread asking for advice under "suboxone withdrawl" and I will find you.

Take care and I wish you all the luck, you can do it!!!!!!

Lyn in Michigan

Old 01-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

Hey smith9 - how's it going today? What did you decide now that Monday is here? Anxious to hear from you and how you are doing.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
(female)

smith9 HB User

I don't know if you seen my message to you. But I kinda got worried when you had said you dropped off your plan. Hope it's not making you crazy but I know it is. Yesterday, which was Sunday I got out of the house with the kids and cleaned my house, (trying to stay as normal as possible) once I got back. I was exhausted beyond believe but just as I started to get a good position and slightly nod off my legs started with the pains and it was unbelievable. I asked my husband to lay across my legs to put some pressure on them to see if that would help but he wasn't feeling to swift either. We ended up cursing and cratching at each other til we both just seperated and went into our (I hate u mode) around 3 0'clock this morning I went and got him off the couch and apologized for my bitchiness and he did the same. Then the diarreah started. Probably because I didn't have any real solids in my stomach. I gave in a went get my prescription. I'm back on my 8 mg a day and plan to do just the one a day. I feel a thousand times better and I can't say I'm upset with myself because I think with all I have done in the past just to get something to relieve the pain, whether it be buying off the street or going into the emergency room for a sprained back because my addiction had gotten so out of control that the scripts for 30 oxy 80's and 120 loratabs and 30 xanex a month wasnt cutting it. How I ever survived doing so many pills I will never know. All I know is that I want to be here to see my baby's grow up and have their own lifes and this is my only way to stay out of danger of being that addict I knew 4 years ago. My doctor had told me that I will probably be on this suboxone for life and I can't say anything bad about it except I hate the price I have to pay for the prescriptions. But I will deal with it. I still hate the fact that there are so many doctors out there willing to write you a prescription for just about anything and then when you get hooked and can't stop they treat you like a criminal and drop you the first sign of trouble. My blessings came when I had finally hit rock bottom and ended up with nothing. I found this great doctor here and we have actually become great friends. He talks to me and pretty much all his patients as though he has been there before. I don't know how it is in your state but here drug addiction to opiates his overwhelming but the help for addicts is zilch, nada, zero. Either quit cold turkey go on methadone or stay an addict until it kills you. So in conclusion my suffering is over and I will do my best to stick to my lower dosage and try to avoid this episode from happening. The withdrawals symptoms from suboxone are so misleading. Just when you think you are going to pull out of it it seems to get worse. You know, three or 4 days into it after detoxing from oxy's it would start to get better but with suboxone it just pops up like a bomb. I will still be looking out for you and hopefully I can lend a little support to other addicts out there just like myself and let them know that we are amongst friends here and there is nothing like a friend who has been through the same hell as you and can truely understand how hard it is to struggle with addiction. In these last few days you guys really made me strong and I love you guys for that. Please stay strong and do what you can to stay here on this earth. It sounds like you have such a beautiful wife inside and out who will be there for you and get you through this. Try to stay on the grid so I can make sure you are ok. Don't worry if sometimes you get weak and give in just remember it's the getting back in the game that matters and you will be fine. Good luck and I will be here everyday. Later

Old 01-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

I'm back on my new plan after a short relapse. I have an appt with my doctor (PCP) on Wednesday so we can discuss the detox and tapering issue. I think the biggest problem I have is that when I put my mind to something, I get it done (git er done!). That was why I wanted to go cold turkey. Unfortunately, I didn't know what I was dealing with! I'm doing great today on the new twice-a-day dose. So I'm taking 2.5 mg oxy Percs twice a day. I'll do that for a week or so, plus see what my doctor has to say.

I'm glad you're doing better, but personally I had hopped that you would have started at a lower dose and see if you could maintain that. But, I'm also glad that you started at a lower dose than you were on before and are feeling better.

You and the others have convinced me to never go on the Suboxone. I was reading about it before I got on to this forum and I already knew that it was not for me. NOW that I have heard the REAL stories from the people detoxing off of it I REALLY know I never want to go on it. That was what they were going to put me on if I went the in-patient route at the drug rehab center. Early on in the w/d's I almost decided to go there, but since my wife had just had her operation, I wanted to stay at home to take care of her. As a result, it worked out so much better and actually strengthened our marriage by helping each other out.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #14
(female)

smith9 HB User

Like I said before you might stray every once and awhile but the thing to remember is that you can get way over your head so quickly. Stay motivated and well. I'll be checking in on you. I hollar back later. Peace-Missy

Old 01-30-2009, 11:29 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

Haven't seen you on the Forum lately smith9. I was just wondering how you're doing???

Closed Thread