It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
(male)

lifesabich HB User
methadone detox from home

how do you detox without the physical pain i have went from 20 to 30mg a day for 3 years to between 5 and 10 mg a day but if i try nothing at all i get insomnia incredible pain i am taking ativan 1mg and 0.3 clonidine so the only thing i cannot handle is the pain part

Old 01-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User
Re: methadone detox from home

Hey lifesabich,

Welcome. I am not sure if it's possible to go thru that pain free... I have never been on methadone so I am no expert but I am pretty sure anything we taper from or quit cold turkey will cause some pain.

Just remember that we are all here for you and anything worth doing... is usually hard to do! That is what I have found in life anyways!

Hope you feel better soon!
~Secrets

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
(female)

zenith15 HB User

The rule for tapering is that you reduce by no more than 10% 0f your dose every 2-4 weeks. Being as low as you are, you will want to go no more than 1mg every 2-4 weeks--it you REALLY want it to be pain free, I'd make it every 4 weeks. Stay hydrated and monitor your blood pressure for spikes and hypertension. If you start feeling too bad (i.e., can't sleep, can't work, etc), it's time to take a break, stop the taper and go back up a milligram or two for a few weeks until you stabilize, then start again. This is a very delicate procedure and requires a lot of time to do correstly--but hey, might as well do it right and have it stick than hurry it and make yourself sick. If you do it properly you should feel little or no pain. You can take ibuprofen for the muscle aches.

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-29-2009 at 01:50 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

zenith15 is correct - the name of the game we're playing is called TAPERING. Every person's body is different, so work with your body. Reduce your dose and see how your body reacts. If not too much happened stay there for a few days and then reduce it again. Your body will tell you if you go too far too fast. I'm in day 6 of my tapering. I take two equal doses a day, but I don't take the first dose until I know that I really need it and cannot stand the withdrawals anymore. This plan has worked very well for me. Seems hard to believe but I have tried 2 different plans already in the 6 days I've been on this forum, but I found one that is working. Seems like I have been here soooo much longer and I have learned so much from the people here. It's 11:00 PM and I have NOT had my first dose today. I'll see if I can sleep through the night with out a does today. Cross your fingers. I'm not familiar with methadone, so I don't know how it reacts in the body, but try tapering down and let us know how that goes.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:07 AM   #5
(female)

ebird6 HB User
Thumbs up Re: methadone detox from home

hey lifesabitch-

i am hoping this will help you- i tried to cover all the areas of detox and what i did to get through.

i have been taking methadone for 12 1/2-13 years, and i am 24. i have severe chronic pain, and so i know how much detox sucks...ive done it 4 times.

i honestly have never just detoxed from methadone alone, but about 13 months ago i detoxed at home from 90 mgs of methadone and 80 of oxycodone together. thank god i had my mother to help me. look this over.

first on the med stand point- this is what we used to get me though that hell.

each day i would cut down 5 mgs. the best way to detox at home is to have someone monitoring your medication, because otherwise, i would have eaten that whole bottle as fast as i could. go around your house and pull out all the pills you have hidden or that you left in a backpack or that have fallen under your bed. even though it really really really sucks, (and belive me i wish i had left some somewhere....but it helped me in the end...i PROMISE...) it is what you need to do if you want to stop.

i could not sleep, unless i just passed out from my pain in my leg (i have chronic pain and am a cancer suvivor), so occasionally i would take nyquil...that also had to be monitored with me, because i would have chugged it. also, make sure there is no alchol in your house, and if you do have any, make sure someone has it in a safe place. when i could eat, my mom gave me a glass of wine every once in a while....just to take the edge off. even though i threw it up....damn it was good for those 15 minutes.

i have a friend that lives in la, - she helped me by telling me things she did to detox at home alone. she was basically bed ridden for 15 years, and then she tried suboxen, which saved her. she was/ is on half or one mg. of it....and when i went into detox and tried it, iwas on the highest dose possible for my size (42 mgs), and it didnt do anything for me pain wise or craving wise. but you never know, it might work for you- so if you can, give it a try...insurance covers it in some states. its worth a shot.

anyway-

eating, obviously SUCKS when you are in detox. she gave me this recipe for beef broth, and several veggies that are stewed and mushy so you can just swallow them almost and still get all the nutrients you need. it worked wonders...gave me strength and tasted good, and also gave me calories, vitamins, sodium, ect. i can get the recipie for you if you want.

i was eating anything sugary that i could- i would eat a box of little debbie honey buns in 15 minutes....the whole box. sometimes 2. the thing i found that worked the best were these nature valley yougurt covered granola bars. they stayed down because they were not heavy (even though they seem like it) and they give you that rush you need. i do not recomend eating straight sugar....it gives you a headache after about 20 minutes. atleast it did me. i loved it and i still did it and i ended up making things worse, even though i was feeling better for that short time. i have cavaties from eating sugar and sugary things constantly for 8 months, and i never did before.
any type of soup worked for me, as well as triscuts, wheat thins, and even sweet potatoes. random, i know.

i also was vomiting sporatically- the cramps were not too bad because i had a heating pad. if you use one, watch out for when you fall asleep and have it on....i got a pretty bad burn from that. something called a hydroculator (which you can get at a drug store...its put in the microwave and feels like a hot wet towel....that work but i hated it when i was sweating) the baths worked great for me at this point too....epsom salt and even eucalyptus or lavender oil helped soothe my skin and my nerves.

the yawning- i have no way to help with that---dayquil helps with the body aches and the runny nose. that also had to be monitered with me.

the normal constipation is not a problem. haha (its not funny i know). if you cut down right, you dont have the problem with going the bathroom in an uncontrolable manner. i did have diareah (sp?), but other than that, detoxing correctly made it bearable. THANK GOD!

for my sweating/chills/slight fevers/whatever, i sat in luke warm showers/ baths for 30 to 45 minutes every so many hours when needed. after, i patted down myself with baby powder...it makes the sticky feeling not so present when you get back into bed and start sweating later.
i stayed in thin clothing, even though i was freezing and then so hot i couldn't stand it....but it made it easier for my skin to breathe. socks didnt help me, although my feet felt frozen, but that it where most of your bodies heat/ toxins escape (i have been told), so i tired to avoid them whenever i could. i had heavy blankets and thin jersey sheets that i kicked off and bundeled up in whenever i wanted.

for me- watching lots of movies (none with drugs, alchol, obviously...or even ciggarettes, seeing that i am a smoker), helped occupy my mind even when i was trying to fade off into a non-frusterating sleep. that made it easier to focus on something else. reading was out of the question for me, but i drew when i could.

for the nausea, compazine (if you can be perscribed it) works well but made me very confused and hallucinagetic, and not in a good way.
natural options are ginger tea, which warms you up when you are in that freezing mode, ginger pills, mint anything, including the mint candies which also give you that sugar fix. there is also this thing called queeze ease that you can get at homeiopathic stores and some pharmacies, that smells of mint that you just run under your nose and it works great.

i am getting tired and so i hope this has helped a bit. let me know if you get any relife from this advice and if you need any other questions answered that i can not think of right now. i dont know when you posted this question. i just saw it and was compelled to tell you what i did. if you have already gone through it- good job- its hard and it sucks and i hate the fact anyone that just doesnt want to hurt has to feel it.

otherwise-

<removed>

e

oh p.s.
make sure you brush and rinse your mouth out because the lack of siliva with methadone in general, but also detox, can increase the risk of/and cause cavaties, tooth decay, and gingivitus. that helped me a lot, seeing my mom is a dental hygenist.

i hope i helped.

e

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-12-2009 at 04:22 AM. Reason: please keep these Boards anonymous

Old 08-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
(male)

IainDonald HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesabich View Post
how do you detox without the physical pain i have went from 20 to 30mg a day for 3 years to between 5 and 10 mg a day but if i try nothing at all i get insomnia incredible pain i am taking ativan 1mg and 0.3 clonidine so the only thing i cannot handle is the pain part
Heh there my name is Iain i live in Glasgow Scotland.
My experience of methadone detox is that it works if you want it to i`ve just recently detoxed from 50 ml down to 30 then sought help through a day project which kept me busy during the day and taught me potential triggers i may experience in every day life, i`m currently 2 months substance free. Regarding how to cope with your physical pain, i personaly never bought into the hype surrounding detoxing which would have you believe that thing are going to be tough, ithrew that right out the window and did`nt even bother opening the window either. (SMASH) I felt no physical pain had 3 weeks of broken sleep but a lack of sleep won`t kill you, and when i say this am not blowing smoke up you arse, this was my own experience. If you listen to other peoples negative experience`s of detoxing and how difficult it was for them you may end up convinsing yourself you will suffer as well, when in my experience thats just not true.
you will undoutably have to battle something but by staying positive you increase your chance`s.
Life is so much better when your not shackled to any kind of substance to help you excist.
Not sure if i`ve been any help atoll apart from the fact that if a CRAZYScotman can get clean and serene then am bloody sure you can. KEEP THE FAITH in yourself

Closed Thread