It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User
Question Question about Oxycodone cravings

My wife and I were at a popular coffee bar enjoying some refreshments after a date night and were were talking about my recent drug problem. I was honest with her that I had severe cravings last night and I came close to slipping. Very close in fact - I actually went looking for where she hide the pills. She told me if she had found out that I did slip up, she would have killed me!! Even though I have been w/d-free for 6 days, I had w/d-like symptoms last night for some reason in the middle of the night.

She asked the question, "How long will my Oxycodone cravings last?", which I obviously don't have a clue, but people on this group who have been drug free for long periods might be able to shed some light on that question. Will the cravings diminish with time? Will I always have the urge to try just one little pill from time-to-time?

Since each drug acts differently, please limit this discussion to Oxycodone cravings only if you don't mind. Thanks!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
(female)

magpie1970 HB User
Re: Question about Oxycodone cravings

Ok, well, you wanted replies for Oxycodone; however, I was taking hydrocodone, which I believe is the same thing, just a different strength. I can tell you that the cravings come and go. You need to remember that you are only 6 days into your recovery and the cravings are going to be strong at times.

You have suffered through herendous withdrawals and you don't want to go through that again. You made it through the cravine and I'm proud of you for that. The "one little pill" will turn into MANY pills.

Stick to your guns and when you get a craving, do something. I would chew some gum, go for a walk, wash dishes, play barbies with my girls....anything that keeps you busy. The craving will leave if you keep busy, but it will come back. There is someone who posts here (I don't remember who, sorry) that is 3 months clean and just had a craving, so that goes to show that it can happen at any time.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2009, 02:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Hi Denon,

My suggestion now that you are completely off of the oxy - have your wife flush them - you can watch and have a little funeral for them As long as you know they are around, they will call your name. You may do good for awhile without craving and then a stressful situation or pain may come up and as long as you know they are around "somewhere" they will haunt you. Trust me on that one.

Best wishes to you,

JB

Old 02-13-2009, 05:46 AM   #4
(female)

ANGELINMICHIGAN HB UserANGELINMICHIGAN HB User

Denon, I believe wholeheartedly that Granny is absolutely correct. Flush the pills and they won't be calling you. Remember what the "Dragons" can do to you. We need to figure out how to get that post you wrote (so well) back up to the recent boards so everyone new can read it and some oldies. Someone suggested that it go into a "post it note" whatever it is called so it is up at the top of the boards permanently.

Your wrote it so well and it was soooo true and more people should be able to see it.

If someone knows how to do that, maybe Secrets or Reach or maybe even you Denon, that should be put back up there.

We are so proud of you Denon and you also have to realize that yes you are off of the drugs but......it hasn't been long enough yet and you will still feel the cravings and you probably will get "withdrawl symptoms" still for a while. It took you 5 days or so and most people it takes 3 or 4 weeks and they say up to a year to be feeling back to "normal", whatever that is!!!!

Anyway take care of yourself and as Granny says get your wife to "flush" the pills down the toilet.

Bye for now and take care of yourself.

PS, how is your neck and what do you do when it flares up. I have my chronic pain on C5/6/7 I believe the same as you and the discs are degenerating above and below those vertabraes now!!!!

Lyn

Old 02-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Denon,

Well, as you know.. I was strictly an Oxy girl... so with that said I will share my craving experiences with you.

For me the cravings have been present EVERY DAY, several times a day since I quit. Some days the cravings are stronger than others but it's always there haunting me. I will agree with the previous posters.. you HAVE got to flush those pills.. I would NEVER have been able to not take them if they were in my house. It sounds weak but to be honest... if they are that close to you.. They are going to haunt you a lot worse than if they were gone. I like the idea of flushing and having a funeral because I think we all mourn our loss of pills....

I am 100 days clean tomorrow so that gives you an idea of how long I have been clean and am still craving. Personally, I don't think the cravings for me will ever go completely away but.... they have gotten better over time. The REALLY bad days are further apart than right at the begining. They still are very present but they are not as often.

I hope it keeps getting better for you... Remember you are still pretty newly clean so this is going to take time! We are here for you!
~Secrets

Old 02-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

Actually, when I confessed to my wife I was looking for them, I found out that was not the Oxy pills that I thought I saw. It was a decoy!! I have no idea what she did with them and she may have flushed them or taken them over to her mother's house. I just don't know and I'm glad I don't.

It just seemed strange that I had experienced w/d's after not having any for days and the sudden severe craving.

I've researched it more on the internet and one thing I saw was that it appears that people who taper to zero seem to have less cravings afterward than those who go cold turkey at one point or another. I guess I still have some of that physical dependency left hiding in my system and I need to realize that I just need to be more careful and not fool myself that I'm completely over the symptoms.

Now, that I know I can have those severe cravings, I will be more aware of them and be able to handle them better.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I'm wondering why on earth does your wife even have them in the house? Certainly if you were instead an Alcoholic you would not want to have alcohol around or whatever the addiction is. I quit smoking 10-15 years ago and still have cravings. No one remembers how bad things are for you you only remember how good it made you feel. Cravings come and go but for pete sake tell your wife to toss out the Oxy's!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Denon,

Do the pills belong to your wife? Is she taking them herself or are they from before you quit using?

I also agree with granny - if they are still around, flush them with your wife present of course, have a little funeral for them so you aren't constantly thinking about finding them.

Regarding cravings, they will most likely come and go for the rest of your life. However, they'll gradually diminish over time.

I went to Rehab last summer (July/August '08). When I got home, the cravings were SO profuse, I often stayed at home, did not keep cash on me (I even gave my Visa and bank card to my hubby to remove any resources available to me - cause I was buying them from a dealer towards the end of my using). Well, it's been six months and I still have cravings now and then.

It's going to take time, you really have to exercise patience (one day at a time) and be honest with yourself and others when you have cravings. Confronting these feelings when they "first" appear will really help you in the long run

Good luck, keep posting (it really helps to let it all out) and have a great weekend

emsmom

Old 02-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

One day when I was going cold turkey and had the severe craving, I grabbed up everything and told her to hide them for that night. I don't know what she did with them the next day, whether she disposed of them or took them someplace else, flushed them or what. All I know is I don't have any access to them anymore. Yes, my wife did need the Percocet from 2 weeks ago for an operation, but she only took them a few days and doesn't need them anymore. That was part of the group of pills I gave to her to get away from me.

I'm more concerned how long the craving will continue and will they diminish over time? Now, that I know how severe they can be I know how to react to them when they occur.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:12 AM   #10
(female)

ANGELINMICHIGAN HB UserANGELINMICHIGAN HB User

Denon.....you have a very "smart" wife, to hide or take your pills out of the house. I commend her for doing that.

You say you are still having cravings and after you thought you were through withdrawls then they come back. You went through your withdrawls a lot quicker than most people on these boards (and we are so proud of you) and in reading your posts I often thought of how lucky you are (or were) to have it over with so quickly. It took me over 3 weeks and that seems to be the same as a lot of other people here on the boards. (But then I was on "suboxone" so maybe that is totally different, I am not an expert, just trying to give you my opinion). I hope and pray that your withdrawls are over with, but I think you might have "breathru withdrawls" periodically because you went through them so fast. Just think how lucky you are and if you have a few symptoms here and there, they will go away quickly because you have to be at the end of this. As far as the cravings, you have done so well and just keep yourself busy and try not to think of them. I am sure the cravings will eventually go away also. Take care.

Lyn

Old 02-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

I was talking to one of the detox counselors the other day and he said the Oxy actually works its way into your bones and that's why you can still get the w/d's and cravings long after your last dose as it slowly leaches back out. I just had the w/d's just that one night (Day 6), but I have cravings every minute of the day that I'm not busy. If someone put a pill in front of me right now I would take it w/o hesitation. I'd feel guilty as hell afterward, but I would still take it. It makes me mad that I feel this way because I have never abused drugs in my life.

I also was shocked how fast I got through the final w/d's (3 days) when I went cold turkey, but that might be because I experienced w/d's for the three previous weeks the whole time I was down to, or below 10 mg/day.

Today I spent a wonderful time all day with my wife. Out for breakfast this morning, went on a short hike trying to get the endorphines working again in my body and we cooked a lobster and filet mignon dinner together as a special treat. We talked about getting our previously plans back on track because of my injury that canceled them. We both know I'm living on borrowed time before my neck raises its ugly head again and I end up with surgery or back in bed for weeks.

I still feel emotionless, but I think that will come back as I continue to exercise and get my body back to were it was before my injury. I just have to keep fighting and make sure my wife keeps me honest!!

Closed Thread