It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
(female)

tracypatzold HB User
I have a question about taking percocet's & vicodin's. How many is to many?

I have a question about taking percocet's & vicodin's. How many is to many to take at one time?

My bf has a tooth that needs to be pulled. His insurance is waiting for prior approval before he can get it pulled!The dentist is giving him percocet's. They are the (5mg/325) The vicodin's are (5mg/500)I believe i have the dosages correct.

He takes 3 percocet's & 1 vicodin in the morning!

Then later on at night around 7pm he takes 3 more percocet's & also 1 more vicodin to.

He don't drink no alcohol.

He smokes pot but i don't think mixing that with the pills will cause any problems. I know mixing alcohol with pills that's a deadly combination!!

Ok with this being said is he taking to many pills in one day? I honestly think he is. Plus i think he is abusing them. I sat him down today & told him taking this many pills can cause liver problems. It can interrupt breathing to if he would take to many pills at one time. He wont listen. He claims he is not hooked on the pills. He said his tooth hurts really bad. I mean i get his tooth hurts but gee-sh does he really need to take 6 percocet's + 2 vicodin's per day?

Please help! Give me your opinion. He thinks im over reacting!Am i making a big deal out of nothing?Please help. Thanks every one!!!!

Last edited by tracypatzold; 02-15-2009 at 10:33 PM.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
(female)

magpie1970 HB User
Re: I have a question about taking percocet's & vicodin's. How many is to many?

As far as the amount that he should be taking, what does his prescription say? If he is taking 3 percocets and 1 vicodin at the same time, I don't think that it sounds like he is following his prescription.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
(female)

makai808 HB User

There is something really important to consider as to WHY it is so important he stick to the instructions, (this should help you scare him into sticking to his dosages) is that those drugs have acetaminophen in them. And that in large doses can actually kill you. There is a limit to what a person can take (some will argue what that is) but the range is 2000-4000 mg in a 24 hour period. (depends on height, weight, medical condition). The way to add that up is if he has 5/500 vicodin, the 5 is the narcotic property and the second number, the 500, is the buffer of acetaminophen. If he takes 4 of those in 24 hours, he is already at 2000 mgs. It doesn't take much. With an overdose symptoms may not occur until 12 or more hours after the acetaminophen was swallowed. This is all even worse with alcohol.

There is an argument that they either made these drugs that way to stop people from taking too many or that docs prescribe these specific drugs with buffers to prevent people from taking more than they are supposed to. (some people don't listen or don't know though and that is the danger)

I had a terrible experience once back when I first had my accident, where I was taking my vicodin and I would take more than I was supposed to. my skin and eyes turned yellow and I had to go to the ER where they told me my liver was shutting down. I had to get these mucomyst treatments for 3 days. it was very scary. (I had taken 4000mgs in a 35 hour period) I was fairly healthy and not drinking. So it can and does happen.

This is why I know all this, because I speak from experience. I hope this helps you.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

I don't understand why a doc would prescribe both drugs?? They should be taken as prescribed-aside from the tylenol od, you can suffer from nausea and respiratory shutdown from taking too much.

Closed Thread