It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: day 9 off percocet cold turkey

Hello Carrara

You are doing a magnificent job in getting off the Percocets. Something you wrote struck a strong nerve in me:

"I only wish I had figured out earlier that the pain I felt every morning was withdrawl more then it was from my back problem."

That is such a true statement! I am nearly two years off all pain meds, oxycodone being the last I was on, and while I still endure pain, it is not any worse than when I was on the meds. My depression is also very much under control without the opiods sapping everything out of me.

What a vicious circle those pain meds can lead us into. Exacberated pain, depression.... take more pills and it all gets worse. Constant withdrawal we are not even aware of. What a torment, huh?

I wish others could understand clearly what the long term use of opiates can do to us. While they certainly are a godsend for immediate relief of physical trauma, their long term use just leads to so very many complications. I think all of us, doctors and patients alike, need to be so much more educated about the whole spectrum of opioate pain relievers and the long term effects.

Wishing you continued strength and courage as you share your story. It is an important one.

Hugs
reach

Last edited by reachout; 02-28-2009 at 01:31 PM.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #17
(female)

carrara HB User

Thank-you Reachout!!!!! Dr. should not be so quick to give out narcotics for chronic pain. They know whats going to happen. They know were going to need more and more of the pills and then you wake up and relize you don't even know if you injury has gotten better or not. You think you've gooten worse.(I thought I had arthritis in my all my joints ) because they hurt every morning. I told my dr and he didn't say anything when he should have been saying "that is just the perksin your body begging for more" Well better I figured it out at 39 and won't be wasting my life in pain for no reason and paying 120.00 bucks a month to feel that way!!!!!!!! Fight thr good fight. Carrara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 04:02 AM   #18
(female)

crocheting HB User
Wink Re: day 9 off percocet cold turkey

Carrara, you should be so proud of yourself for coming this far, I know it is a long hard road. I live in chronic pain and what reach said, is exactly what I have experienced. As the years went by my pain manangement doctor offered stronger med. Some I tryed only for a couple of weeks. The last med. Was oxy., and I took it for about 6 months. Just like reach said, when I woke up which was sometimes 2:00 am to 4:00am., I had more pain and could barely drag myself out of bed. It also put me on an emotional tailspin. I decided to get off also. It took me two months to ween off of 120mg. Of oxycotin per day. It was really hard, but I did it here recently. I will continue to take the norco only. Reach is so right, sometimes there answer is stronger med. And more of it. I think you made a smart choice for yourself. I know it is miserable to stop the oxycotin, but it does get better. When I think about it, the withdrawls for me lasted weeks after I stopped taking it. For me the emotional part was the worse. I feel very blessed that I to this day have had no cravings for the oxycotin not at all, I am thinking it is because of how miserable I was taking it. You are doing a great job, and should be proud of yourself. Remember, this to shall pass, it does get better.
Crocheting

Old 03-02-2009, 05:25 AM   #19
(female)

Lugar22 HB User

Rock on ,carrara!! You're doing so well and I keep reminding myself that you are so right to sort this out now. Thats what I want to do.....not let it drag on for my whole life. Our addictions have already robbed us all of enough time....lets put a stop to it now. Full stop.
Just wanted to say you're doing an awesome job. Well done!
love........CC

Old 03-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #20
(female)

carrara HB User

Thank-you Crocheting and CC. I'm feeling so much more like my old self. In jan. I had 4 or 5 panic attacks and was so stressed out. Since I quit the perks I haven't had 1 at all. I think they were interferring with my antidepressants. The next thing to concour is getting off them. I hope I will be able to do that becuase I startted needing them affter my injury when I was feeling so low about being in pain . Thinking it would be with me the rest of my life! I think I'll take them another month or 2 and then stop and see how I feel. Even my blood presure has come down to normal yeah me!

Old 03-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #21
(female)

carrara HB User

I don't like myself very much right now.

Last edited by carrara; 03-07-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User

Dont do it.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #23
(female)

crocheting HB User
Smile Re: day 9 off percocet cold turkey

Carrara, don't be so down on yourself. I agree with you, you need to find out what your pain will be like. I live in chronic pain, and choose to only take norco, I could take a lot stronger meds. I can't go skiing or running anything like that! If we could do those things then we know we are taking pain medication just to get high. So don't feel bad for taking pain med. For real pain, you are not alone my friend.
Crocheting

Closed Thread