It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

trailor HB User
think i need help

Hi, i just found this message board and i'm hoping to receive a little support and maybe some advice. I have been addicted to pain kilers for about 3 years. Started out as a entrapped nerve in my foot, but that eventually got worked out. Now i have been having trouble with my left lower abdomen for about 2 years now. I have had every test anyone could think of. Latest diagnosis is IBS. I just don't know if this is correct. It is a diagnosis of exclusion. Other diagnosis have included fibromyalgia, cystic ovaries, colitis, and endometriosis. I am losing my trust in the medical community. I am currently on percocets (already gone- doubt doc will prescribe more with current diagnosis) I am scared of the pain. I've quit the pills several times over the last several years but 3 months seems to be about my limit, then i go back to them. How much of this pain is in my head? I don't know. I'm considering asking my dr. about methadone but don't know enough about it to make an informed decision. Is it only prescribed through methadone clinics? Does it really help? I've also considered suboxone but the cost is prohubitive as well as finding a dr. to prescribe it. Apparently insurance will not cover it. Also, through researching it i've found it is not recomended to patients who still have pain. I would love to live a pain free life but i'd settle for a pain reduced life. I seem to do fine until I have a really bad day, then I run to the E.R. and the process starts all over again. I take incredible amounts of ibuprofen a day and am worried about that as well. What is a person supposed to do if they need medications for pain but obviously can't take them responsibly? Haven't had any for 2 days and i'm doing ok with the detox part of it but sometimes the pain is incredible. At least my hubby is sympathetic. He has stuck by me through all of this, even through "falling off the wagon" repeatedly. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. I guess I need someone to tell me that I can live without these for the long term. I am just so scared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User
Re: think i need help

Welcome Trailor,

Well, you have came to the right place! So glad you found us. Your story is so similiar to the rest of ours..... So just know.. you are not alone.

You CAN live with out the pain killers. There is no doubt about it. However, not knowing the amount of pain you are in.... Maybe for you.. It would be best to deal with an addictionologist. They deal with patients who have additions and need meds but can't be responsible to take them I think. There are options out there. When I had my stomach problems.. The pain was so bad but I couldn't take mine responsibly either.. I am now drug free but just relapsed this last weekend... It was a slip and I guess it's part of the process but for the most part I have been pain pill free for almost 120 days. minus one of those days!!

I do not know enough about methadone to give you any advice on that drug but others on here take it so they could be of more use.

I more so wanted to welcome you to the club and I hope you make yourself at home!
Take care!

Old 03-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
(female)

trailor HB User

I've never heard of an addictionoligist. I'll look it up on the web and see what I find. Thank you for your reply. It's nice to know there is someone out there going through this too....although i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!

Old 03-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User

You are welcome.

It is nice to know there are others fighting the same fight out there.... That is why this place is so great to have! We can say whatever is on our minds.. You would not believe some of the things I have admitted to doing on here. It's good to get it off the chest and be honest with at least someone in my life about this.

The people on this board have really became my friends.... ASk anything.. There is a lot of information on here.... Whatever questions you have, someone will have the answer to.

Take care!

Closed Thread