It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User
IS the shaking from withdrawals or something else?

"Nobody can make decisions for you - you are responsible for your own actions!" - That was the lecture that I got this morning from my wife. Good words for a lot of us!!! I slipped again last night - NO there's no ice in Arizona... My abdominal spasms were going away so nicely, then last night they hit worse than ever. After 3 hours of violently shaking I took a Perc so they would go away. I actually don't feel bad about taking it, because the withdrawal was so severe I needed something to stop it. My wife and I talked about it today over breakfast and I'm going to find a better doctor more familiar with Opiate withdrawals and figure out why this is still happening and if it is related to the withdrawals or something else.

I began my detox on December 18th, with varied forms of successes and lots of failures. I finally tapered down after listening to people on this board and went cold turkey the 2nd time on February 4th. Since December 18th, I have had the full gambit of Opiate withdrawals, the most annoying and most persistent have been the abdominal spasms that shake my whole body. They hit sometimes so hard that they knock my breath out of my lungs. They ONLY occur when I am relaxed and usually laying down in bed, but also happen when I'm sitting in a chair or on the couch. They have been so violent that they have woke my wife up because the bed was shaking so hard (not the way I'd like to brag about shaking the bed!!!!)

I have stopped all other meds that I was on just to see if one of them were causing it, except my blood pressure med and Cymbolta and nothing has changed. The Percocet makes them go away, so I assumed that it was a withdrawal from the Percocets, since they started when I began to detox. Both times that I have relapsed were because I wanted the shaking to stop.

I know that the brain's chemistry begins to change from the first Oxycodone tablet you take, so am I still experiencing healing that is causing this to continue to occur? I know I feel like I have been clean for years (less two infractions), but it has only been a little over a month. This is the only withdrawal symptom (if it is that) that I have left. Am I expecting too much too soon? Can this be a left over withdrawal that will eventually go away? Can is be from something else? I need the shaking to stop!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #2
(female)

magpie1970 HB User
Re: IS the shaking from withdrawals or something else?

Good words of wisdom from your wife. Also, I have to question why you are actually taking the pills. Since you went CT from them, why on earth are they still in the house???!!! If you truly want to stop taking the pills then you need to flush them down the toilet and never bring them into the house again.

There are other things that can be taken to remedy the stomach issues and shaking. I think that it may be due to wd's, but you should get checked out by a doc to rule anything else out. If I were in your situation, I would try other avenues to curb the wd symptoms you have, but first.....get rid of the pills.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
(female)

Lugar22 HB User

Morning D. Sorry mate I havent posted you in a while but had a few probs this week which has meant lots of Drs appointments. Anyway,Im at your party now. OK...now as you know my thing is opiate stuff so I do have some knowledge and from what I gather,WDs can take a long time to taper off. Ive known some to go on for as long as 6 months...though usually for most its the sleep thats the last thing to get right. I would strongly recommend that you get a full work up with your Dr just to ensure that there is nothing else that could be causing it...I understand that the perc makes it go away but it would ,wouldn't it? It is a painkiller. As you said yourself,though,it may feel like a long time but it has only been a month.
D, Im glad your not beating yourself up over taking the one...I think you seem smart enough not to allow it to snowball. If you think it might though,then is the time to get rid of the pills. You dont have to be superman though and suffer those sort of agonising cramps,so I think you did the right thing.
Let me know what happens with this mate,Im interested to know how you rollin.
love CC xoxox

Old 03-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

tfl HB User

hi denon...ahh yes the shakes...let me tell ya, i couldda made enuff popcorn for the worlds fair if i put a popcorn maker on me. try takin a deep breath, hold it a few seconds, let it out slowly...repeat a few times. ever body withdrawls different i recon, the only thing thats the same is.....<it's bad>. this is my second go-around so it aint so bad because i KNOW it will go away. AND it will go away from you too my friend...that, you can be sure of

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-07-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Watch your language on the Boards.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

Thanks everyone. I plan on getting a physical exam next week and talk to my doctor about finding another doctor more knowledgeable about Opiate withdrawals. It's just that they are so irritating and annoy me so much when they occur. Shaking for 3 straight hours when you're trying to go to sleep because you have a busy day the next day will make you do anything to finally get some rest. Last night I didn't have any shaking at all.

As for sleep being the last w/d to go... I've never been able to sleep well anyway, so I wouldn't know if that was a symptom or not.

Part of "MY" therapy is to keep the pills right in front of me where I see them everyday to prove to myself that I am stronger than the drug. Yes, I did take one pill to stop the shaking, but I did not take it because I was craving it. I took it for a purpose. The first time I relapsed for 3 days was also to stop the shaking.

I crave the drug everyday, but I don't take it. It's in front of me to help me fight the cravings when they do occur to convince my mind that I am stronger than the pills. Besides, if I didn't have any pills in the house, it would take me 10 minutes to get some from someone. I could probably get them delivered faster than a pizza (and cheaper). Unfortunately, drugs are too easy to find anymore. That's the sad part.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
(female)

magpie1970 HB User

If keeping the pills in front of you works then it works. Personally, I think that you are setting yourself up to use and to use an excuse to use. I like to try and be positive about things, but if you know how to obtain medication illegaly, it seems as though you have already put thought into how to get more. Your original post quoted your wife saying you are responsible for your own actions. Is she upset that you are using to help with your symptoms? If your shakes and stomach problems are so bad, have you considered going to urgent care or the ER to see if they can help with some other medication?

You need to let the wd's run their course and the shaking is part of that. I hope that you can avoid tempation enough to not fall back into old habits, unfortunately, it's like an alcoholic thinking he can go to a bar and just have a soda when he stopped drinking a few weeks ago.

Things tend to sneak up on people....go back and read you earlier posts and you will see how far you have come. You have a ways to go, but you are the only one who can get yourself there.

Last edited by magpie1970; 03-07-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: added something

Old 03-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
(female)

crocheting HB User
Wink Re: IS the shaking from withdrawals or something else?

Denon,I hope your shakes are getting better, and you are able to get a restful night sleep. Great job on your progress, to get to your goal! You need lots of support and encourgement right now! I support anyway you decide to get to your goal. What works for some may not work for all, no reason to throw stones your way, that's crazy considering everyone here is struggling with something! You are trying friend, and that means your on the right road! You have to do what works for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

pull the plank out of there own eye......Crocheting

Old 03-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

NotPerky HB User

Wow, Denon, that is frustrating! I remember your having this problem when you were considering rehab, right? I too have a supply here, but I'm not finished my taper. I am hoping to flush the rest when the taper is finished, but I'm soooo afraid....based on a lot of what I read here. I am trying to taper a little bit at a time....but I'm also tapering every day, rather than stay on the same dose for a few days. I just can't stand using this crap and want off!!! It's amazing how my body is just aching without my normal 60+ mg. And I don't mean my normal pain -- I mean just stiff, aching, no energy....blah blah. But I was hoping that maybe I wouldn't have a severe WD once I'm totally off, because I've tapered only 3.75 mg at a time. But I know you tapered fairly slowly (I think?), so who knows. Well, one day at a time. I hope you can "shake" that shaking soon!

Old 03-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

Yes, before considering going into rehab (which I ended up just going cold turkey instead) I had the shakes bad back then. I've had them the entire time (since Dec 18th). They get better for a day or two and then come right back for no rhyme or reason. I have tried to figure out what makes them go away when they do and what makes them come back and there is no pattern. I shake almost everyday at one point or another, but I don't grab for the pills every time I start shake.

Next week I'll get blood work done and see if I can find a doctor that can diagnose the problem better - I'm just not the type of person that goes to the doctor a lot. It's possible that the shaking is from something other than w/d's and I need to get it diagnosed. My spine from top to bottom is screwed up in one way or another, so who knows... I'm going to try TFL's deep breathing technique and see if that helps the next time they occur.

Got some great exercise today with a 4 mile hike - Heading to the shower and to bed and hoping for a good night's sleep. Thanks everyone.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
(female)

magpie1970 HB User

Deep breathing does work for some people, it has for me, it can be used as a form of meditation. I was hesitant at first to try meditation because I don't really believe in God and thought that that was a main part of meditation--it's not. It's a good relaxation tool, also there are different essential oils that can help alleviate pain, anxiety and other issues you have due to wd's.

Hopefully that 4 mile hike worked it's magic and lets you rest tonight.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:22 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

TomsWife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie1970 View Post
You need to let the wd's run their course and the shaking is part of that. I hope that you can avoid tempation enough to not fall back into old habits, unfortunately, it's like an alcoholic thinking he can go to a bar and just have a soda when he stopped drinking a few weeks ago.
I couldnt agree more with magpie in what she says here in this paragraph. Also in one of your replys to this post you said you didnt take the one pill because you were craving them. Then in the next sentence or two you said you crave the pills every day.
The violent shaking episodes you are haveing do not sound like the wd's. If I were you, I would seek medical attention. Either way, I hope you are feeling better today.
Marilyn

Old 03-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #12
(female)

Lugar22 HB User

Hey D. Hows that shaking going today? Just wanted to see how you were and what you're up too.
Let me know
love....CC

Old 03-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

Yes, I still crave the pills, but it is getting less and less everyday. The last few days it has been close to zero, but there is still some craving there, so I say that I still crave them. Maybe I need a better word than crave to describe how I feel towards the pills these days. I took the one pill NOT because I craved it, but because I wanted the shaking to stop. Two different things.

Lugar, I only had a few minor shakes last night and I tried TFL's breathing techniques which did seem to help. This coming week I'll get more answers.

I keep doing my research on the Internet. I guess what bothers or interests me the most is the "Why they are occurring?" Physiologically, what is going on in my body that causes the shakes to occur. Is it adrenalin rush, if so, why just target the abdominal muscles and not other muscles in my body? I want to understand the physical and chemical processes that occurs in the body that causes the withdrawals, right down to the hormones being released into the blood stream. These are the details that interest me and that I want to find out answers to.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #14
(female)

Lugar22 HB User

Heya D....glad last night was a bit more bearable for you and hoping that tonight will be even more so. Sometimes its good to know all the ins and outs as to why our bodies react they way they do to WDs. It may give more answers to ways in which to help ourselves so if you find out any little gems let me know.
Its been the weekend from hell for me but its back on the right track again this evening. Im just finding the whole thing difficult and sometimes dont know if Im coming or going.
I understand why you took that pill and I understand what you're trying to say about the cravings. We all have our own way of dealing with things and so long as its working then its the right way for you. We're all individuals.
Have a good night,mate
love CC xoxox

Old 03-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #15
(female)

Lugar22 HB User

Whaaaa-heeeey!! You've cracked it by jove! I totally now get that - those spasm thingys - I get them sometime too,but usually its a whole body experience!! So pleased that now you have something to ask dr about directly,though I suspect you're right that he wont have any answers. In this field we normally know more than they do.
Very good on explaining the crave thingy - I understaNDthat we all have our own way of dealing with our stuff. The mental part is the longest bit to get rid of and anything that makes ya stronger,D,the better.
Im a bit chirppier today,which is a relief cause weekend was hellish. I am gonna beat this though,my friend.
Take care
love CC xoxoxox

Closed Thread