It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
(male)

brad5874 HB User
will methadone help withdrawal of xanax

will methadone help withdrawal of xanax

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2009, 12:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User
Re: will methadone help withdrawal of xanax

Welcome Brad,

Sorry but I have no idea. Maybe someone else on here will. If you don't get any other replies which would surprise me... I would do some research online or speak to a medical professional about it. If you want it confidential and your Dr. to not know I am sure if you did some research there would be some sort of hot line you could call.

Good luck to you. Feel free to stick around. Withdrawals from benzo's I have heard are TERRIBLE!

Steainmg this from another user.... When in doubt, post it out! I'm Secrets, nice to meet you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
(female)

amed225 HB User

hi brad, my opinion is you are trading one bad withdrawal for another. methodone gets right into your bones, it is a bad withdrawal like suboxine. i would talk to a doctor about detoxing slowly, or go cold turkey and just stick it out for a few rough days. not sure about the xanax withdrawal, but i know all about the methadone and suboxine. don't do it!! good luck to you. amed

Old 03-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello

Welcome to the Board.

I withdrew from Xanax myself. Withdrawal from any benzo should be slow and gradual. It is not a drug to withdraw from cold turkey as that can easily cause seizures, especially if you have been on it for any length of time.

A general rule of thumb is to withdraw at 5%, making a cut every 10-14 days. Even at that, withdrawal can be tough. For me, the hardest was the great anxiety that happened with the cuts. However, it can obviously be done as I am clean of Xanax and have no cravings. It did take many months to accomplish, but slow and easy doesa it with benzo withdrawal.

If you are already taking Methadone, then yes, it wil probably help to some degree. I wouldn't recommend in any way at all starting up with an opiate to get rid of a benzo addiction. Truly, my best advice as someone who has been there is to see a doctor. That is m number one, most heart felt advice.

Wishing you well
reach

Old 03-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
(male)

56789 HB User
Wink Re: will methadone help withdrawal of xanax

NO dont go there . weening might be your best choise. as methadone i hear can be more addictive than heroin . i was told this buy former heroin users. an people stay on it for years .because its addictive. i know two girls on it they were going to stop 6 months ago . said its to hard. my personal opion about methadone .its like going to the doctor to get a fix every day . an the mds get rich .i think methadone has a purpose . but my two friends when i ask them did the md set up a taper plan . they said no its when you deside to get off it. i thought wow .one addiction to another with no plan to taper , the goverment should better regulate how these clinics are run. i know a girl that detoxed off heroin 7 days . after 7 years of use. with out methadone .its a money making thing . my personal opion onlygood luck scott

Last edited by 56789; 03-27-2009 at 08:56 PM.

Closed Thread