It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
(female)

mel12 HB User
serious xanax addiction

how to get off a serious xanax addition

Old 04-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User
Re: serious xanax addiction

Hello and welcome!

We would need more information from you.... It's best to always get medical advice when coming off a benzo.... BE CAREFUL!

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Xanax is very hard to come off of and it can cause seizures if you stop cold turkey. I'd advise to talk to your Dr. and together plan a treatment plan to slowly wean you off.

Char

Old 04-16-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
(male)

Xpillhead HB User
Thumbs up Re: serious xanax addiction

Maybe i can give alittle help to everyone here.I'll try to keep it short.15 years ago i had alittle anxiety problem,nothing major though,was refered to a doc.Heres were it gets bad.put me on .25mg x 3 a day,wew i felt great.So as the years passed i noticed they were not working as well,so i finally peak at 4mg a day in 2007,well lo and behold i had become a legal addict.I finally went back to the doc i had been seein for all those years and fired him on the spot(never paid the co-pay for that day),lol.Found a kickin doc who i told what was going on.I very slowly started to go down on a taper program,now mind you this took well over a year,so dont rush it.There were times when i went down a .25mg from the previous 4months at the same dose were i felt bad for about a day or so,you see, your shocking your brain during that period.Finally when i was down to .25mgx3 a day made the best choice and switched me over to 2mg of valium x 3 a day,wew,did i feel like a basket case for a couple of days cause valium is a long acting benzo and it took it two days to build up in my body.fast forward 3 months was down to 1x 2mg every other day,then i broke the 2mg in half for the next month.I was able to stop with no ill effects what so ever.it was h+ll but worth it.my mind is clear as a bell,i think better,have more energy,ect.So if i can do it,anybody can.Dont be scared when you taper,you'll have some rough days,but its just your body getting use to not having that crap drug in it. <removed> God Bless

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-16-2009 at 04:30 AM. Reason: please read the posting rules

Old 04-16-2009, 04:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Mel-
I totally agree that coming off of Xanax needs to be under the supervision of your doctor. Stopping cold turkey can cause you major problems that could land you in the ER.

Please, go to your doctor and just open up to him/her about this and ask for help in tapering off of the Xanax. Your doctor will NOT think badly of you. Doctors hear this all the time and usually are more than willing to help taper you. Your honesty will be appreciated more than likely. When doctors prescribe meds like this they know there is always a chance of addiction, he/she will know it's not like you have done this on purpose. Unfortunately, these things can happen, but when they do there is help.

Take care and please speak with your doctor. You have already taken the first and hardest step in realizing and admitting there is a problem. I wish you the very best!

Last edited by ozzybug; 04-16-2009 at 04:02 AM.

Closed Thread