It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

babsie HB User
help! 20 year old alcoholic

i turned to alcohol when i was 13 years old. i am sick of it. i just wish i could change. i just dont feel that i could be happy without getting completely wasted 24/7. i drink becuase it takes me out of reality. i was raped everyday at 8 years old for a few years and used to cut until i found alcohol. i know i need help i want help o so bad but i do not know where to turn. i have tons of friends but im always depressed and never want to hang out. im at the point to where i am using them so they bring me alcohol. i turn 21 this month and i am scared as all hell. i almost died at 15 from alcohol poisoning and again at 17. so much has happened in my life in the past 7 months that its only made my problem worse. my family abandoned me a year ago. i found out i had herpes and HPV 2 days after i got kicked out of my house and i have developed severe anxiety disorders. i was in therapy a couple years ago and was told i needed to go to AA. im stubborn beyond belief and would not even give it a second thought. i think i am at the end of my rope i cant continue anymore. everyday i go out and live a LIE. what happened to me? i just cant imagine a world being sober. somebody please help me

Old 05-23-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
(female)

cynn HB User
Re: help! 20 year old alcoholic

Hi,

I have the same problem with being an alcoholic who does not believe in AA and can't imagine a world sober. Its been 6 months now that I have felt like a ghost, no emotions or desires to do anything. I moved back home after 7 years away and I feel like the biggest loser because I dont like being dependant on my family and I hate not being able to do what I want(which involves drinking when/as much as I want). It is helping me a little because I cant drink as much but I have been caught finishing the liquor cabinet and now am being forced to go to AA. As stubborn as you may be, like me, I think giving it at least one try would open the door to possible treatment(although in my opinion it sounds soo much like a cult-check this out http:// http:// * link to commercial website removed by hb-mod, moderator *

Let me know how you are doing.I have felt at the end of my rope as well and have considered suicide...I think you are very strong although I dont know you.

Remember to breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimp88 View Post
i turned to alcohol when i was 13 years old. i am sick of it. i just wish i could change. i just dont feel that i could be happy without getting completely wasted 24/7. i drink becuase it takes me out of reality. i was raped everyday at 8 years old for a few years and used to cut until i found alcohol. i know i need help i want help o so bad but i do not know where to turn. i have tons of friends but im always depressed and never want to hang out. im at the point to where i am using them so they bring me alcohol. i turn 21 this month and i am scared as all hell. i almost died at 15 from alcohol poisoning and again at 17. so much has happened in my life in the past 7 months that its only made my problem worse. my family abandoned me a year ago. i found out i had herpes and HPV 2 days after i got kicked out of my house and i have developed severe anxiety disorders. i was in therapy a couple years ago and was told i needed to go to AA. im stubborn beyond belief and would not even give it a second thought. i think i am at the end of my rope i cant continue anymore. everyday i go out and live a LIE. what happened to me? i just cant imagine a world being sober. somebody please help me

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-24-2009 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Please don't post links and/or instructions regarding commercial websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

My daughter is 23 years old and was caught drinking and driving last night. I found out this wasn't the first time. My husband and I and her little brother met her at the scene and the kind policeman released her to us while her brother drove her car home. I still can't believe he didn't take her to jail. She had been to a wedding and said she only had 3 glasses of wine, but she smelled so strong of liquor. Two years ago we found out she was drinking and driving and I threatened to take her car away from her (because it was under our insurance). She has been ok since then until last night. But what scares me is that she told our family physician that when she starts drinking, it's real hard for her to stop. My father was an alcoholic and as was my husband's mother. So this brings up old bad memories. My husband and I don't keep alcohol at home. I am so scared for her. I think she needs to be in AA or get some other kind of help. I have told her that even though I don't condone her drinking to please, please call me and I will pick her up. Her brother has told her that as well. My worst fear is that she will kill someone on the road and go to prison. We are a very close family and are very supportive of anything that will help her. Since you (both posts) have drinking problems, what do you think is the one thing from your friends and family that will help? I love her so much and will do anything!
Cindy

Old 05-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
(male)

56789 HB User
Smile Re: help! 20 year old alcoholic

stop being stuburn an go to AA , the court may send you there any how, if you make it to the jail house next time , not only are you puting your life in jepordey , but everyone elses , the living without alcohol is just a trick this very powerful drug plays on us, its up to you but get help soon , an suiside is a perminent solution to a temporary problem , so dont go there , ya when i was 20 , i did not want to live to be 30, 30 was old , well i am 41 now an still a kid at heart, you can choose to put it down now , get some councleing, an life will get better, but if your an alcoholic, they may have alateen , you should tell someone else about this like your parants , a family friend, i will pray for you ,if you keep drinking it gets worce , but if you get help , your life will change, you may not thinkso but partying gets old for alot of us young an old remember its your choice if you allow there to be one , but once you have that bottle ,or whatever drug it may be, you no longer have a choice, it then runs the show , these people will show you how to live a better life, an alcohol is the most widely used drug in the world , an kills the most people every year keep hanging in there we are here for you , scott, oh if i could drink i would , but i cant , you have a disease, like cancer , when you drink 1 it setts off a compulsion for another , an another till were drunk, its like haveing an allergy to peanuts, if they are going to kill you are you going to eat them no of cource not, we are allergic to alcohol , an any mind altering substance, feeling that depedant on your family is another trick , take advandage of it in a positive way, they need you to , an in the long run , they will need your help to , when i got sober at 36 , i moved back in with my mother, i felt that way for awhile to , but its 1 hand helping another, after 1 year , i was going to move out , my mother asked me to stay because of health issues, so i did an its been 5 years , dont put yourself through the other 15 years of mell, i did it for you , now that your family is getting older its time to be friends , its tuff sometimes but i told her we need to be like friends for it to work, an its a big sacrafice , but my familey, put up wth alot , just be glad you have some where to go , an not , like carboard to sleep in, as i right this there is a a young drunk sitting in that box trying to stay warm , feel better about you situation , if you dont your probley not done

Last edited by 56789; 05-24-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:54 AM   #5
(female)

Julia20 HB User

I don't believe in any place that supposedly helps alcoholics. To me most people who go it's just so they can say to people that they're doing something about the problem, when they're still out getting ******.
Before you quit you need to look inside yourself. You need to make sure you really really want this. I've quit a few times but I never wanted to truly quit so I went back on. 4 months ago I came to the end of the road, I thought it's doing nothing to me. I'm spending **** loads of money for what? A stupid buzz. So I can say horrible things and do horrible things to people and make myself look like a idiot 24/7.
If you really want to quit you'll do it, cold turkey. Though I'd look at anti-withdrawal tablets, go see your doctor, cause it can really mess you up physically. I was put on acomprasate.
The AA might be good for you because you're not alone, there's support. But it's different for everyone. I tend to stay away from other addicts, recovering or otherwise.
But there's a problem here: you're not just drinking for the sake of it. You've had a really hard time and you're going to need help. I've been depressed as well and half the time it's was either the alcohol or the knife. Once you quit the alcohol all the **** might come back with a vengence. I don't really know. It's different for everyone.
I'd talk to your doctor about it so maybe they can help if you do get depressed.
But hey, people have problems at any age. I'm a recovering alcoholic and have been sectioned twice in a psychiatric unit and I'm only 20

Old 06-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
(female)

wawang HB User

To quit from alcohol addiction may be difficult just like drug addiction does. I think a family intervention for alcoholics is the best way to overcome alcoholism. The need for alcohol detox is necessary. We know how painful alcohol withdrawals are and encouragement and motivation from family and friends will really matter.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
(female)

twomany HB User

Hey shrimp, you really sound like you meed some councling. I am a recovering alcohlic, I stopped drinking 10 yrs. ago, but traded my drinking for medication and now trying to stop taking pain meds, somas and xanax. I too was sexualy abused by my brother at the age of 10. My parents didn't believe me and I started drinking at age 13. I would drink until I was in a black out stage, still functioning but had no idea what I was doing. I started many fights with my husband, physical fights. Sometimes I wonder how he has stuck with me for 14 yrs. after everything I have put him through. There came a day when I knew I had to stop. Alot of my suicide attemts where when I was highly intokicated and feeling like there was no where else to go and I didn't want to live with pain that my life had brought me. I did quite without AA, it just wasn't for me. I had the support of my husband and I feel you don't have the support you need to get sober and deal with cards life has thrown you. Remember it was not your fault what happened to you as child, there are alot of sick people out there that do this children and you were just a child. You really need to talk to sume one about it though, don't be ashamed you have tried to deal with it the best you know how but it's time to talk to a professional. You can do this and if you need someone to talk to look me up, you sound like we have been through alot of the same things in life and if I can help you I will. You are impotant to this world even if you don't feel like you are. Good Luck and keep your head up and keep trying to stop drinking. I'ts hard but you can dio it!!!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:06 AM   #8
(female)

paulsgrammy HB User

The fact that you are HERE and posting speaks volumes..You WANT to get better. Try EVERYTHING..go to any rehab and class and venue that is offered..you WILL find a way out if you keep after yourself. I am quite sure that you are a worthy person who has just had a real lot of lousy things handed to you on a platter..I am not an alcoholic BUT RECENTLY MY LIFE HAS BEEN IMPACTED BY A 20 YEAR OLD WHO IS..I am so sad for her..her story could be yours..I am sorry for the people who has done unspeakable things to you and made you want to hide the pain..Keep working it..You WILL get better.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
(male)

FL_man 2010 HB User

Like it's already been said, you have exactly what you need to get out this already; The desire for it to end. That's all you need to start the road to recovery. AA could be beneficial, or your basic 12 step program. Being around people who also use is a bad idea, so get away from any of them. Your depression is caused not only by the alcohol abuse, but probably from your childhood trauma. You drink to deal with the pain of that. Seeing a psychologist is essential to you getting through this, as well as a psychiatrist, because you may need some medication to deal with your mental health issues. And whatever you do, DO NOT stop drinking cold turkey if you are drinking alot daily. Alcohol withdrawal can be fatal, this isn't a free pass to drink though. You might need to go to a detox center. Just stay strong, focus on that desire for change and nurture it.

Closed Thread