It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
(female)

kewood HB User
Question Switching from Suboxone to Subutex....?'s

Hi friends,
I need some info please. After two weeks on suboxone and having some mild, yet unpleasant side effects such as dry mouth & eyes, dull headaches, foggy head, feeling "out of it" , nausea & depression my doc switched me tonight from suboxone 16mg/day to subutex 16mg per day. We are going to try this because even though it's a tiny chance, there have been people who have a sensitivity to the naloxone (naltrexone) in suboxone that can cause nausea and depression....He didn't think it would hurt to try.
I'm not one who ever crushed pills to snort or shoot and that's the only reason the naloxone is in the suboxone so there's no danger of that happening. Has anybody here gone from suboxone to subutex or vice versa? How were your side effects with either, both? Is there anything I should look out for? He, my doc, said I probably will notice no difference at all as they are both 16 mg of buprenorphine but if it is a sensitivity to the naloxone then I should feel better in a few days.

Thanks for any advice or support!

kewood

Old 06-07-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
(male)

Tele52 HB User
Re: Switching from Suboxone to Subutex....?'s

Funny you mention this since I plan on asking my doctor this week to change also. I've been on sub for 3 years and wake up with extreme back pain until the sub kicks in about an hour or so. <removed>

I'm really hoping my doc will let me switch to see if that's what's causing the severe back pain and some other unpleasant side effects. Good luck and keep me posted on how it works out for you.

Tele

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-07-2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Do not copy material directly from another website.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
(female)

altlannta HB User

~Hello!

I wish someone would have answered the same questions I had about Suboxone making me sick at the time I was on it. I am severely allergic to 'Naltroxone,' and it's apparently not very common for people to have bad side effects from the drug.

I became very ill on Suboxone- felt deathly ill (especially in the morning)- a deep nausea (hard to describe), arthritic pains in my hands legs, joints- in fact, it was so bad that I got tested for many things (chronns disease, rheumatoid arthritis, etc... it cost me thousands of dollars. Finally, six months later when I got off the Suboxone, the symptoms gradually subsided but they stayed with me for a long time even when I quit.

I then got on Subutex an d had no problem- I've been that as prescribed for the past 4 months and am doing great. I know very well the feeling that your going through- there's nothing worse than that sick, 'dead' feeling in the center of your gut. See a doctor about getting off the stuff- my new psychiatrist luckily recognized that I was just very allergic to Naltroxone. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

Naloxone is also know and Narcan and is used to block opiates in the body. It is given to people who OD in the emergency room and will cause immediate withdrawals to take effect. Suboxone is a buprenorphine and naloxone combination, where I'm assuming the naloxone is used to prevent any opioids from being used during the suboxone treatment. It binds with the opiate receptors and prevents the opioid from attaching to it, thus rendering it ineffective. Many people on suboxone have said they have taken an opiate and felt no effect from it. This is probably why.

Subutex is just buprenorphine alone.

Closed Thread