It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
(male)

yankee3 HB User
Lorazepam with Suboxone

I have been having an issue sleeping since being on Subs...actually it is just my "normal insomnia" times 10.....it is increasingly difficult to sleep and waking up for work is a nightmare. Does anyone know if its safe to take a lorazepam to help with sleep while I am on subs?
I have tried benadryl, tea...etc....not cutting it.

I am exhausted and cant fall asleep...get anxiety at night.

Thanks

Old 08-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
(female)

kewood HB User
Re: Lorazepam with Suboxone

Yankee,
From what my doc has said, you need to be SO careful with benzos when taking Suboxone. I think once in awhile is ok but I would NOT make it an every night thing....plus, you don't want to get hooked on Ativan..I did for 6 years and it makes coming off of hydro feel like a piece of cake! Why not talk to your doc and try something like Trazadone, a mild antidepressant which helps you sleep, lots of folks in treatment take it for trouble sleeping. I take it ocassionally but the nice thing is you don't have to take it daily if you don't need to.
The thing with benzos is they are truly meant for short term use or for "as needed" in panic attacks, periods of extreme anxiety, etc. Not meant for a long term sleeping med. It really was one of the worst experiences in my life getting off of the lorazepam, ativan. I shudder to think of how I felt back then. And, actually it was starting on the Trazadone that made things begin to get a bit better for me. There are probably other sleep meds too that aren't addictive. How long have you been on the sub again? I had trouble sleeping the first few weeks now I sleep like a baby every night, it's wonderful. I'm on 16mg/day.

take care,
kewood

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
(male)

yankee3 HB User
Re: Lorazepam with Suboxone

thanks Kenwood.....16mg/day....been 8 weeks.

I dont plan to take often, just once in a while to help with sleep and anxiety. They .5mg Lorazepams.

I'll speak to him about the Trazadone...maybe I'll ask him about ambien to... I took those for a long time, but didnt find myself having any problems with them...just took as needed.

Thanks again Kenwood!

Closed Thread