It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
(female)

hopefulgrl HB User
Addicted to Marijuana....

I have been smoking marijuana for the past 15 years and my husband is coming home from rehab and I have to quit! I am soooooo scared to quit. I have making excuses of why it is ok to smoke it for soooo long, but the reality is, its a drug! I am not sure how I am going to sleep or eat. I am just freaking out. I dont see any people on here addicted to weed. Any advise???? Let me just say that my husband has over 30 days clean, and he has come clean off (Are you prepared for this?) 60mg Methadone, 6 Klonopin (daily), morphine pills, and marijuana. He went to save our marriage and our family. I am so proud of him and I can finally say after a 8 year addiction to pills, that I have respect for him and I actually look up to him. He is in the best facility we could have asked for. I miss him terribly, he has been gone for over a month and he still has 30 more days to go. I am running his business for him while he is gone. I had to learn real quick how to service swimming pools, but I did it and his customers think he is working somewhere else. The responsibility is really taking its toal on me though. So that is probally why I smoke so much. Thanks for listening to all my ramble.. I just smoked the very last of my weed. Its all gone!!!!! So from here on out I am not smoking anymore. yikes..........,

Old 11-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

caberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB User
Re: Addicted to Marijuana....

Well, you know what you gotta do...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
(male)

ghreef HB User

get ready for the dreams and the temptaions. Other than that, don't expect many physical side effects (although you can anticipate gaining weight)

I've seen people who've been smoking every day for 30+ years. Believe me, as a past-weed smoking advocate, once you get clean you can start to see how bad it really is for someone. Those that I know that have done it for 30 years have some definite issues with reality disconnection. And that's for a population of about 20 people living all sorts of lives with all sorts of professions, so I tend to lean towards it being a weed thing.

Regardless, stick with it. It will pay off in the end, and good job to your husband on many accounts. Standing up for his family, caring about your relationship, and getting clean. All admirable actions.

Without preaching too much, I find that most people that are really addicted (even to weed) have a loss of identity after quitting. That's usually a tough thing for most people. You need to find something that can fill that void. I've recently been saved and would suggest religion as something to look into, but I also realize that it's just not for everyone at this stage in and addicts life, so do what will work best for both of you.

Congrats and good luck!

Old 11-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

I'm not that familiar with marijuana addiction, but like all other addictions, you have to prove yourself more powerful than the drug. Look at what your husband did and together you can work to solve your addiction. Look at the times that you usually smoked and make life changes in those areas to break the habit. Your husband is going to need your support to stop his cravings and to continue to stay clean. I'm sure he learned a lot in his rehab that he can pass on to you. You have to work together and be strong together. Do it for him - do it for your marriage. When you get the urge, tell your husband and together find something else to occupy your mind until the urge goes away. Talk a walk, go get a cup of coffee, get away from what is causing the urge.

Good Luck to you and et us know how your are doing or if you have other questions.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
(female)

hopefulgrl HB User

Thank you for all the great advice. Well, today was my very first day sober. I did fine until NOW. I am really having cravings and not doing so good. I did talk to my husband and he has 30 days sober today. He sounds so good. I am actually jealous. I really think you are right about losing your identity, that is what has happend for sure. I was told by my friend that the first 3 days are the worst. So I got through day one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of myself. I know it sounds petty but believe me, this is a huge step for me. Thank you again for all of the great advice.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:56 AM   #6
(female)

jcoe57 HB User

My parents smoke- my dad since he was 14 and he is 55 now- when he is out he is almost like a crack addict until he gets some more. The thing is that it isn't actually physically addicting (as of the last time I researched about it), but it is mentally addicting. My mom, no problem- when it runs out she is cool- she might have a craving here or there but nothing big- she could just quit no problem. I just don't get how the both of them can smoke it like they do but when it runs out they are completely different about it. I hope that for you, even though this was your first day, a rough one at that- I pray it will go smoother as the days go by, you never know- in those 30 days before he comes home you can make some wonderful progress... but if not then it would be awesome if you can take a turn into going into rehab.

Sorry, I am rambling-
if you think on the love and respect you have for your husband and that he needs so much to not be around it or he will backslide------no, really you need to do it for yourself, the other is sort of a plus, but if you really want to get clean for yourself- it's one day at a time. My addiction is food and I am going to post about that, I came here to the addiction section and it's all about drugs, well food is an addiction too... I just feel out of place so maybe I won't... But this isn't about me right now- I wish you the very best- I pray that you succeed in this, in your family and in your business. Jenny

Last edited by Administrator; 01-13-2010 at 02:22 AM.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
(male)

curtxxx HB User

<edited> To point out fact, marijuana is not physically addictive. That being said, you need to overcome the psychological factor of it. Marijuana is not very psychologically addictive either. Cigarettes are considered (scientifically anyway) to be much more addictive. Easiest way - change your habits! I know it is easier said than done, but you need to identify your triggers and find ways to not put yourself in compromising positions where your guard is down or you feel week. Do you have supports (people)? If not, start there - surround yourself with people who do not use but also do not judge. It's a long ONGOING battle, but is very possible.

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-09-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: removed profession

Old 11-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
(female)

Chilcur HB User

Enjoyed your post, you're right about the dreams.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
(female)

Chilcur HB User

You're right, food can be an addiction too and is one heck of a comforting, legal, drug. So talk about it, we're listening.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulgrl View Post
Thank you for all the great advice. Well, today was my very first day sober. I did fine until NOW. I am really having cravings and not doing so good. I did talk to my husband and he has 30 days sober today. He sounds so good. I am actually jealous. I really think you are right about losing your identity, that is what has happend for sure. I was told by my friend that the first 3 days are the worst. So I got through day one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of myself. I know it sounds petty but believe me, this is a huge step for me. Thank you again for all of the great advice.
It does NOT sound petty at all!!! Just because you're not addicted to crack, heroin, or meth does not a petty problem make! I know tons of people who are totally addicted to pot, but for some reason there is a common myth that that is impossible and that pot isn't a "real" drug. It is, and it's actually pretty hard on your body if you use it chronically. Congratulations for choosing to quit! You can do it! Marijuana addiction is not a joke and don't let anyone tell you otherwise... It's good that you're jealous of your husband! Let him be an example of something for you to strive towards and think of how great you'll feel when you have 30 days? Not to mention how much better able you'll be able to breathe and how much more alive your senses will be. That's what I noticed the most when I quit pot.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User

Yeah I know it's not physically addictive, I just meant that for some reason some people see it as kind of a "joke" drug and to even mention having a problem with it is not a "real" enough problem. I actually see that in NA sometimes, people getting kind of high (no pun intended) and mighty because they used more hardcore drugs. But it definitely is psychologically addictive, or can be for some people, and it causes damage to their lungs and relationships at the very least. A drug is a drug is a drug.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I admire you for your honesty...Hang in there! The feelin gof being on the up and up is simply peace of mind. You never have to worry about the damage "it could do" if you are not doing it. I equal it to menopause, when you no longer have that little thought in your mind, and it is FREEDOM. Freedom that you cannot enjoy without giving yourself an honest chance.

GO GIRL! You can do it!

Closed Thread