It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

Bailey55577 HB User
Checking in and had a very bad couple days

I have always been very very careful with my Fentanyl pain patches; when I get them each month I put a sticker on each one with the date to change it and left or right arm. This past week I had a couple days of feeling really bad, one of my cats bit me while trying to give her a pill and I ended up with a very badly infected hand.

To make a long story short, I went 24 hours past the time to change my Fentanyl pain patch. I have been on the Fent patch for over 3 years at a 75 mcg dose. My back was hurting really bad but we had rain in the forecast so I didn't think anything of it. I was sweating profusely and then the horrid restlessness set in. I couldn't lay still in bed, couldn't sit still, I was pacing the floor, and I couldn't begin to figure out what was wrong with me. At times I was holding a pillow over my face and screaming it was so bad. After being up all night I just happen to think to check to see when I was suppose to change my patch and I then realized I was by this time approaching 30 hours late changing my patch. During all this, it would have been a blessing for someone to put a bullet through my head, that is how bad it was. I felt like I had demons in me that were clawing their way out through my skin.

Hubby was rather upset with me, after all he has to work and I was keeping him up; as he told me the next day he was surprised I didn't wear a hole in the sheets from tossing and turning.

Maybe the reason the withdrawal was so severe is because I am regular as a clock about putting on the patches, I don't put them on early or abuse in any way. (Sorry not trying to offend anyone with the word abuse) I have had a couple bad experiences with patches having little to no medicine in them but never being without the Fentanyl in my system for some 30 hours. The hell I went through those two times with the bad patches, no way in hell would I trade a buzz for having to go through days of hell of the withdrawals.

It has taken me roughly 2 days to get to feeling halfways human again if you can consider feeling human with the pain I live in every day.

I don't know how I could have made such a bone-headed mistake but I did. Live and learn I guess, check the sticker date on my patches closer in the future.

Withdrawal from opiates has got to be the closest thing to hell on earth I have yet to experience and I have been on this planet for 52 years.

Last edited by Bailey55577; 11-13-2009 at 10:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User
Re: Checking in and had a very bad couple days

I think I'd rather whack my thumb with a hammer everyday rather than go through opiate withdrawals! ;-)

Old 11-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
(female)

Bailey55577 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denon View Post
I think I'd rather whack my thumb with a hammer everyday rather than go through opiate withdrawals! ;-)
You and me both gal.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User

Yeah, I can't decide which I'd rather have, a kidney stone, or opiate withdrawal. Kidney stones are more acutely painful, but opiate withdrawal is really so bad it's a toss-up.

So what are you gonna do, knowing that this is how you react without fentanyl? What if you run out sometime and have to go through this again? Is your pain so bad that you just need to stay on pain meds forever? That seems like a really tough call to make. I really feel for people with chronic pain. No one deserves to be in pain all the time, so maybe it's just something that you'll have to make sure you never run out of?

Old 11-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
(female)

Bailey55577 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by digmusic View Post
Yeah, I can't decide which I'd rather have, a kidney stone, or opiate withdrawal. Kidney stones are more acutely painful, but opiate withdrawal is really so bad it's a toss-up.

So what are you gonna do, knowing that this is how you react without fentanyl? What if you run out sometime and have to go through this again? Is your pain so bad that you just need to stay on pain meds forever? That seems like a really tough call to make. I really feel for people with chronic pain. No one deserves to be in pain all the time, so maybe it's just something that you'll have to make sure you never run out of?
That is exactly what I was thinking about and discussing with hubby the other night, what if something happened, a breakdown in society or something unforsceen thing happen and I couldn't get the Fentanyl, Lord God, I don't ever want to go through that again.

I have 3 collapsed discs in my lower back and not a good surgery candidate.

Closed Thread