It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User
Anyone gotten off suboxone with minimal withdrawals?

I posted recently about this and didn't get many replies. Since then, I relapsed on heroin unfortunately. It lasted a couple weeks yet I went through hundreds upon hundreds of dollars and have really damaged myself bad. I couldn't stand the withdrawal for any length of time, as opiate withdrawals make me literally suicidally depressed and anxious to the point of pure terror. So, I'm back on the suboxone, varying the dosage from day to day depending on how I feel, hanging around 8 mg a day.

I've been planning on getting off the stuff for awhile, but I've researched it extensively and everyone has these horrible horror stories about it being as bad as OC or heroin withdrawal and lasting 3x as long. Has anyone successfully and mostly painlessly withdrawn from suboxone? If so, what was your taper plan like and how long did it take? I'm scared of relapsing, but I'm scared of being on suboxone again for another year. I'm so sick of all of this. With the damage I did during my last relapse, I can't even afford to be on suboxone for much longer. Please help.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

NotPerky HB User
Re: Anyone gotten off suboxone with minimal withdrawals?

Digmusic, I'm so sorry to hear about your problem. I'm a former heroin addict (30 years ago) and my son is currently in rehab for heroin addiction. I know what a battle it is. I can't help you with your suboxone questions, because I have no experience with it, but I did want to acknowledge your post and express my support. Have you tried doing a search on this board for posts regarding Suboxone? I know methadone is tough to get off of, but I didn't think Suboxone was quite as bad. Is rehab an option for you, so you don't risk relapse again?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User
Re: Anyone gotten off suboxone with minimal withdrawals?

I never used Sub, but I understand from what people have said that the w/d can be terrible. If you taper down off of it though, it won't be as bad. The simple rule of thumb is to drop 10-20% every few days or a week. Taper down as far as you wish and then go cold turkey when you are at a low dose. Some people in the group have tapered with very minimal w/d's and they were off of it in a few weeks. It all depends on your body.

I would also suggest that you consider attending Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meetings to help with the mental part and to have other people to talk to. You can get faster response from people you can call on the phone or in a meeting than sometimes on this list. Many people only look at the list one a day and sometimes we miss some of the posts.

You're doing the right thing by wanting to get off of both drugs. Drug addictions are not only costly money-wise, but also on your body, friends and family. Let us know how you're doing and ask questions so we can help out.

Closed Thread