It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
(female)

mimmsy HB User
alcohol withdrawals with DT's

Hello, I'm writing with concerns for my 22 year old son. He moved out about 2 years ago, and now he's back home after going through alcohol withdrawals that were severe with DT's. His withdrawals started Oct. 2009 and now he is very anxious and not his old self. I want to know if anyone has been through this? and if so how long does it take to become yourself again. He was not eating right, this is why he had such severe withdrawals. Please let me know if anyone has been through these type of withdrawals or knows someone else who has experienced this, he very smart but some how got caught up with drinking. Please let me know Thank you.

Last edited by mimmsy; 12-04-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User
Re: alcohol withdrawals with DT's

Hi mimmsy - I'm sorry to hear about your son. We try to take care of them and do the best as parents, but the peer pressure that they live with from friends is so great and is so easy to influence them. I believe that your son should be seen by a physician to evaluate his health and to make sure that nothing else is wrong or was damaged by his drinking, followed by counseling and AA meetings. You need to verify that he really is physically OK and also need to fix the mental part of his addiction so that he does not repeat it. I'm assuming that he wants to stop drinking and that he realizes that he has hit rock bottom. He has to be the one that wants to help himself. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
(female)

mimmsy HB User

Thank You for your response, He has been seen by a Dr. and now wants to go to rehab.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

That is a very good sign that he wants to go to rehab. It seems as if he has figured it out on his own and now wants to fix the problem. Good Luck!!

Old 12-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
(male)

syrinx09 HB User

Hi, I am sorry that you and indeed your son are experencing this.
I am glad to hear that he is going to rehab and that he is under the care of a Doctor as this is important...
I am 7 years sober and I can identify with your sons plight.
I would strongly advise that you go to the family sessions that the rehab most likely will have as part of the recovery program, I would advise that you go to alanon to help you to heal and to understand your sons illness.
I am sober today because of AA, this has to be your sons choice and it works for some and not for others....

Any help I can offer please don't hesitate to ask
R

For me it is simple.....I stay away from one drink.....for one day......one hour or one minute depending on how I feel. I have been practicing this for the past few years and it has worked....life is so much better without drink

Last edited by syrinx09; 12-05-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Closed Thread