It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
(male)

holdenbryan HB User
Pain Med Addiction and Suboxone? Help please.

In 2003 I hurt my back and was prescribed Loritab 5's. Anyway without all the details I am taking 75 hydrocodones per week all purchased through a network of people that have prescriptions.

I have lost so much and need to stop, want to stop. I've tried several times. I go through about 7-10 days of being totally lethargic (sp), lose bowels (accidents happen daily), pain all over my body and the overwhelming desire to not wake up.

I'm a professional in a regional management position, my wife knows (not that I spend almost $300 a week to support my habit).

A business associate recently told me his story which was very similar to mine. He has been using Suboxone for three months and is no longer using opiate (pain meds). I have to quit, I want to quit and am willing to do anything at this point to save my life and my family.

I have done research on Suboxone and need to know if it's the best way to go. The business associate gave me three on Thursday and honestly I haven't wanted or looked for any pain meds.

I have no chronic pain, I am addicted.

Can someone offer advice on Suboxone? Can anyone share a success story? Can anyone help me get "real" info (read the companies web site and gathered authorized provider information for my region).

Thank you in advance for you help with this. I've never reached out, never asked anyone about quitting. I know what I am doing is horrible and I am embarrassed of my behavior. I just want help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User
Re: Pain Med Addiction and Suboxone? Help please.

hi - im new here and cant offer any thoughts... but i saw no one replied... and i asked a similar question above. some of the answers im getting about sub. are just through going through the pages and pages of this board... you can even search the word "suboxone" and all posts having to do with it will come up. Maybe that will help get you some of the success stories you are looking for until you get a reply?
it's weird for me to be on this board too, asking for support. i've never had to do anything like this before. i wish you well!

Old 03-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
(female)

tomatoface HB User

Sorry neither of you has had much of a response yet. It seems to be a slow time.... I don't have time to reply right now but I just want to welcome you to the board and congratulate you both on your decisions to get off the pills.... I know too well how hard it is -- keep reading these boards and hang in there -- you are not alone!!
Will write more tomorrow--
TF

Old 03-18-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User

thanks tomatoface (i like your name... it makes me smile).
i appreciate the welcome! I'm gonna try and post every day... especially during the first few days... as i know they are gonna be the worse. Day 3 coming up!
have a good night!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
(male)

subtext HB User

Hey there. I am on day 6 getting off Suboxone. I was on it for almost 4 years, if you can believe.

You all may have read here that the longer you are on it, the worse getting off will be. One thing I want to add is that although I got down to 2 mg per day, I started becoming dependent on Suboxone almost like the Vicodin I was taking before. I needed to take it in the morning to get going at work otherwise I was useless. And by the time I got home every day, I was uselessly exhausted (unless I took more). Seemed strangely familiar...

I was using about 450 mg of hydro per day when Iwent on Suboxone. I will say that it was incredible how I could go from that high a level of Hydro to NONE in a day or so. And I felt okay. Went back to work way earlier than I had planned. So from that respect, I think it is a good way to get off opiates. I do think that it is important for everyone to educate themselves about it and don't just listen to what their doctor tells them. Trust me, knowing other's experience will help you.

I should have gotten off Suboxone a LONG time ago, but didnt have the will to do it. Finally got tired enough of feeling like I used to back in the Vicodin days, and decided to get off.

It has been fairly unpleasant. Fairly. VERY unpleasant. But not the same feeling as getting off Hydro. I was not as physically sick as I remember with Vicodin. Just completely and utterly uncomfortable and morose. I have not felt this level of malaise ever before in my life. Or this lack of sleep. I planned on 5 days away from work, but should have made it longer. I started to feel the worst on the third day, not on day 1 or 2. I have to say, that freaked me out pretty bad. I was thinking "Uh oh, what have I gotten myself into..? If I feel worse on day 3 than day 1, what will happen from here?"

I guess I could go on and on about the past several days, but will not get into the gory details. The best things that I reccomend with Suboxone are what I said above - educate yourself with personal experiences and real information (not the doctors only). Also, I do feel that as quick a taper as possible is best. You might as well not trade one drug for another. Just use it as a bridge for a short time.

A few other things. Give yourself an adequate amount of time before planning on going back to work, etc. 5 days was not really enough - I could have used an extra 5. Or 6. Also, as much as you don't want to, try to do stuff. Walk, sit outside in the sun, clean the bathroom.

Another thing I discovered is a supplement called L Tyrosine. It is amazing how much it has helped. I only read about it a few days ago (got up off the couch) and went and got some. I went back to work yesterday and don't know how I would have done it without the L Tyrosine. If you have made it this far in my post to read this, you probably think I work for an L Tyrosine manufacturer. Honestly I don't. I have never even believed in the powers of vitamins before.

So, almost to day 7 now. I am starting to feels some waves on normalcy. Few and far between, but they are there. I have a lot more hope today for my success in this process than I did yesterday. Or the day before that. Etc.

Sorry for the long ramble. I have been doing this on my own so needed to get all that off my chest. I hope it helps somebody out there. Saying crap like this is totally out of my character, but hang in wherever you are in the process. You'll make it.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
(male)

mikel94 HB User

I'm kinda in the same place as Subtext, or atleast HOPE to be soon. I was addicted to oxycontin/heroin for a couple years, had trouble quiting, so went to a Suboxone doctor. It really is an amazing drug in the sense that I would put one Sub pill under my tongue and an hour later feel like a normal, non-opiate addicted, human being! And it lasts for so long so you can work w/o constantly popping/snorting more pills or calling dealers. But I wish I woulda done a bit more outside research before starting.

I been on suboxone for about 2.5 years now! I never thought I'd be on them for this long but each month just kept getting more b/c I didn't feel like making the effort to get off them. And my Dr. didn't encourage me to stop at all. In fact, when I even mention wanting to get off them (2 years later), he makes discouraging comments like I am rushing or am not ready. I do feel way better of on suboxone then i was before it but I just traded one pill for another.

I think suboxone is great but I would give you a couple of tips first (that I wish I would've heard when I started):
-Plan on only using them for only a month or so! Use them as a detox AID; not a %100 fix to your problem. Otherwise you'll get caught in the wake and be stuck in suboxone dependence!
-Start on the absolute LOWEST dosage that you can get by on. My doc started me at 16mg/day (2 pills) but, really, coulda got by on 2.5mg/day (1/3 a pill). Feeling bad during detox is your body getting off the drugs - it isn't a negative thing. I wish I woulda took just enough to get by, even if I didn't necessarily feel "good".
-To reiterate my main point: Use suboxone as an AID in a short detox. Don't rely on it as a complete fix from drug addiction. Use it to keep you from relapsing for the first few weeks when you are most likely to. Get off it QUICKLY!

I am still on it to this day but have weaned to about 2mg/day an plan on going cold turkey within the next month or so. I am very scared b/c I've had opiates in my blood for about 4-5 years now (In one form or another) and am worried how my body will respond and how I will cope psychologically to stresses in life.

Hope this helps in your recovery, good luck.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
(male)

fluffhead HB User

I've been off of suboxone for a month now after being on an weaning down for two years. Stopping at full pill doses is a pretty big jump. I cut down to essentially crumbs of 2mg pills every other day before jumping off. Every bit of work and sweat you put into tapering, is less balls out detoxing you'll be doing when you stop for good. I had almost on withdrawal pains. Sneezes and some lethargia getting out of bed. Like a mild cold. And that was just for a few days. But bravo if you can muscle through a 2mg detox. If anyone would like the basic schedule of my taper, just let me know. Good luck to you all getting off of opiates and suboxone. It feels so good to stand on my own two feet again.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
(male)

subtext HB User

Hey again. I figured I would post again since reading others' posts here and on other boards has been a good resource for me. Both for information and support.

Tomorrow is two weeks since I stopped taking 2 mg of Suboxone (1 mg twice day). I feel different than I did a week or so ago when I first posted. Better - but only in waves. It is strange. I tend to feel tired but sort of okay in the morning. I kind of pump myself up on vitamins and caffeine before going to work, which gets me out the door. Then halfway through the day I feel like crap and have to hide in my office. Maybe part of that is the caffeine crash. Then when I leave work I start to feel good. Strangely, almost high. That lasts for a couple hours and then I am tired again. At least that has been the pattern over the last few days.

I read somewhere that it makes withdrawal worse to be constantly thinking about how you feel at every moment, but it is a little hard not to when the feelings are that intense. :-)

So, before I started this process I thought that after two weeks I would be pretty normal again. Not so much. I would say at 2 weeks it is more like "a little bit" normal.

The supplements seem like they are helping. If I start feeling like crap, they don't really take that feeling away. But when I am feeling better they do seem to help that feeling last longer. It is really hard to tell what's happening naturally versus what is induced by some other substance. I haven't been in a normal state for so many years, maybe it will take me a while before I am sure of what normal feels like.

As I said in my previous post, if I could do it over again I probably wouldn't have only taken 5 days away from work (that was over a weekend so it really and truly was only 5 days). But I do think that being back at work helps. It keeps my mind occupied and keeps me interacting with people. And of course it makes me feel less guilty about flopping on the couch when I get home. Sort of feel like making it through the day I have earned it.

Just a note to mikel94 - from all the posts I have read, it sounds like tapering even lower than 2 mg makes things easier when you do stop. So if you have a couple more weeks maybe get yourself down even lower. Even if you don't get lower, I guess that I am proof that it is still possible. Either way I wish you success and as easy a time as possible.

We'll see how week three goes...

Old 03-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
(female)

abby1972 HB User

I know what you are going through. I wish i had never taken the first loritab. I'm on suboxen and have been since Dec. 09 . I'll tell you a little about my experience. I have been taking loritab off and on for 8 years , but didn't have a problem until a year or so ago when i started getting them from my Dr. Needless to say my useage got out of hand quickly ! I got so tried of worrying how i was gonna get more and if my Dr. was gonna cut me off. And then i heard about suboxen. All i can say is be careful ! It is very costly and to be honest i hate it. i feel trapped just like i did with the loritabs. They keep you from going through withdrawels but then you are addicted to something else. My Drs don't encourage me to come down and i guess i can stay on them as long as i want. I would like to be off now , but i am a addict ...so i keep taking them everyday. Hope this helps you some and if you have any questions i would be glad to help .

Old 04-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
(male)

chief56 HB User

abby
You mentioned that Suboxone is expensive- do you have drug coverage or don't they cover it? Expensive is subjective. My ex is looking into Suboxone because she has to come off her fentanyl patches- she had a dirty drug screen and her pain management guy just stopped giving her the patches. They seem to be good at getting people addicted to their drugs but have little or no knowledge about how to get off them.
She asked him where she should go for treatment- he said you're on your own.

Last edited by chief56; 04-03-2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spelled word wrong

Old 04-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #11
(male)

chief56 HB User

There are several posters who say suboxone makes their life bearable but they all seem to say they wish they hadn't started on suboxone or started at a lower dose. I was doing some research for my ex-wife who had her 100mcg fentanyl patches dc'd after a dirty urine. From what i had read online it seemed certain she'd have to go to detox- she
claims her doctor told her she might go into cardiac arrest when fentanyl withdrawal started. She's been off the patch about 2 weeks- didn't go to detox- but she's really miserable- never has any energy and often has what she terms "the heebie jeebies".
She's prescribed xanax but went through that a few days after the last patch. She was prescribed 2mg a day but took well more than that for a few days- I think she has fentanyl and xanax withdrawal now but she refuses to go to detox or a hospital.
On week-ends she and her husband are probably doing crack- not a lot because he doesn't make much money but I don't see a good end for her. I can't get her to go in for help and her family won't have anything to do with her. She only has medicaid for medical coverage so I'm not even sure they would pay for suboxone if she found a doctor to prescribe it. One place I called said the Doctor would see her but wanted
$300 cash- second visit it drops to $150 or less but I can't bail her out again. I've spent thousands on her and her husband over the past 7 years but instead of seeing it as help
to get on their own they treated it as getting over on me. So anything I give them now is just enabling. I don't expect anyone to have an answer to this problem. Just venting here.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #12
(male)

RJW1966 HB User

holdenbryan;

Get into see a suboxone doctor as soon as possible. it will change your life. be sure and call around as different docs charge WAY different amounts. I have seen anywhere from $50 to $500 for the first visit.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-23-2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 04-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #13
(female)

abby1972 HB User

Hi , I CAN RELATE TO YOUR STORY. I STARTED USING LORITAB AFTER A AWFUL DIVORCE. THEY MADE ME FEEL LIKE I COULD BE A SUPER WOMEN. I HAD 3 SMALL CHILDREN AND A MANAGEMENT JOB WHERE I WAS ON CALL 24 HOURS ADAY. I WASN'T USING THAT MUCH BUT LATER STARTED GETTING THEM FOR BACK PAIN, NEEDLESS TO SAY IT GOT OUT OF HAND QUICK. SO FOR OVER A YEAR I WAS GETTING 120 FROM THE DR. A MONTH AND ALSO BUYING THEM. I WENT ON SUBOXONE IN DEC. 2009. I REALLY THINK SUBOXONE IS A GOOD MEDICINE IF IT IS USED RIGHT. SEE MY PROBLEM WITH IT, IS NOW I'M ON IT AND AM AFRAID TO TRY TO GET OFF. MY DR. DOSEN'T EVEN WANT ME TO TRY TO GET OFF. THE LAST TIME I WENT I TOLD HER I WANTED OFF THIS MONTH AND SHE WOULDN'T EVEN TALK ABOUT IT OR TELL ME HOW TO GET OFF. SO WHAT I WOULD ADVISE IS TO FIND A DR. THAT WILL ONLY USE THEM FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. THE REALLY BAD PART IS FOR ME THE CRAVING HASN'T WENT AWAY. IT DID AT FIRST BUT NOW IT HAS GOTTON PRETTY BAD AGAIN , AND A LARGE PART OF THAT IS BECAUSE I JUST DON'T HAVE ANY ENERGY ANYMORE. THEY TOLD ME THAT I WOULD FEEL GREAT AFTER I GOT ON SUBOXONE , BUT IT JUST HASN'T HAPPENED. I WISH YOU LOTS OF LUCK AND IF YOU NEED SOMEONE TO TALK TO , WRITE ME ANY TIME. I KNOW HOW YOU ARE FEELING AND THE FACT THAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR HELP IS A GOOD SIGN THAT YOU ARE DONE WITH THE LORITABS.

Closed Thread