It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User
Easier to taper off Xanax or Ativan?

I haven't been taking Xanax that long (since 3/13/10) but I've been abusing it, taking 6mg/day, and my body definitely gives me signs when it's "ready" for some more. A couple of years ago I was addicted to norco, which I have successfully been in recovery from since, but I know how bad withdrawals feel and I'm starting to feel them if I try to cut back on the Xanax. I'll be out of Xanax in a couple of days and I'm not going to try and get anymore, but I do have about 30 Ativan left over from a previous prescription. My thought was to go from the Xanax to the Ativan and then taper down from the Ativan. I know they're both benzos but I've heard that some benzos are easier to come off of than others and I guess I was hoping Ativan would be a bit easier because it's not as strong as Xanax... but I have no idea if this is true or not.

I do realize that I have put myself into this situation and will deal with the consequences regardless of what benzo I taper from. I hate that I got myself into this position again and I hate that there are just some days or nights where I just need to escape from reality. But at the same time I remember the days of having normal energy and feeling normal and dealing with life w/out having to abuse anything, other than taking my anti-depressant as directed. Those days actually aren't that far back... like I said, I've only been using the Xanax for a short period of time, but have been taking it in larger doses than prescribed or needed.

Sorry for the long post but thank you for any thoughts or feedback you may have!

Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
Re: Easier to taper off Xanax or Ativan?

Get off the xanax...but taper. although you haven't taken it long, you still need to taper. Don't know about the ativan, but that xanax is some bad stuff and you're right, withdrawals are not good or safe. Please stay away from it!!!!

Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
(male)

unreal HB Userunreal HB User
Re: Easier to taper off Xanax or Ativan?

don't play with xanax, it's makes heroin withdrawal look like a walk in the park

Closed Thread