It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
(male)

tomsocal2000 HB User
What should I do with Norco

I have been taking Norco 10/325 now for about 2 years. I am currently at 8 pills a day. The Norco is needed for chronic back problems resulting in 8 back operation. I have been having lumbar fusions so currently, I am fused from L3 to S1. My doctor has said that I will need another fusion on my next level but then, they will fuse from L1 down so it would be the end of fusions. Most recently, it has been 12 months since my last operation, but prior to that, I had 3 operations in 6 months. I am happy with what my doctor has done to give me the best life he can. I have had so many serious problems from back nerve issues such as severe sciatica, bladder issues, serious bowel problems, very bad left quadricept atrophy, and the typical nerve problems.

Now, I am sure I am addicted to Norco and I have told my doctor that and his comment has been to keep treating the pain for the time being and worry about the drug later. Do others think this is the right thing to do?

And then, what does a Doctor do to get me off Norco. I have heard that there are many medical things that they can do to help me.

Tom

Last edited by tomsocal2000; 04-08-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: What should I do with Norco

Tom- It sounds like you really do have major pain issues, and I'm so sorry to hear about that.

I have to ask though, why do you say you are sure you are addicted? Are you taking more than prescribed? Or, are you taking them as directed for your legitimate pain issues?

I ask these questions because many people do not understand that there is addiction and there is dependance. They are two totally different things you know?

Dependance is a natural occurance when you have been on medications for a long period of time. Your body will naturally become dependant on those meds and if you were to stop taking them abruptly, your body would go through withdraw. This would happen with Motrin or asprin if you took them daily for an extended period of time and stopped taking them abruptly as well.

Addiction is a totally different thing that involves unhealthy behaviors wherein an addict will abuse the medications, and not take them as prescribed by their doctor. This is self medicating. A person who is addicted to a substance will continue to abuse their drug of choice even when they know that it can and will cause harm to their body. There are also psychological factors that play in to actual addiction.

If you are taking your meds as directed by your doctor, are not taking more than prescribed and are taking them only to help reduce your pain so that you can lead some kind of a normal life, then chances are your body is dependant on the meds, but you are not addicted.

If however, you say you know you are addicted because you abuse your meds, then it's good that you realize you have a problem and have spoken with your doctor. By the way, did he explain the difference between addiction & dependance to you? I mean, in my humble opinion, if he thought that you really are addicted to the Norco, it would be unethical for him to continue to prescribe them unless he was doing it for a taper to get you off of them.

Also, if you are addicted you doctor can put you on a slow taper from the Norco so that any withdraw symptoms will be lessened. It won't be totally smooth sailing, but a slow taper monitored by a knowlegable doctor can be done with less discomfort.

Hope this helps. Please take care & have a great day!

Last edited by ozzybug; 04-08-2010 at 11:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
(male)

tomsocal2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzybug View Post
I have to ask though, why do you say you are sure you are addicted? Are you taking more than prescribed? Or, are you taking them as directed for your legitimate pain issues?
Thank you for the response. Well, I know that if I run low my anxiety goes up dramatically. I have taken pills not for the pain, but to create a good all around feeling. I have taken more than prescribed at a few times

I ran out completely once for 4 days and I was very ill with vomiting, sleeplessness, etc. just like other describe here. My wife got on the phone, called my doctor and told him to refill my prescription asap. He had no idea since his office takes care of these things.

My main issues are when I wake up and sleeping. That is when my pain level is severe. I need the Norco in the morning just to be able to walk without a limp. So I know that I need them at times, but maybe not as much as I take.

Last edited by tomsocal2000; 04-08-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Well, I have to say thank you for your honesty because that is a had thing to do. Honesty and being able to admit you have a problem are truly steps in the right direction.

I can only offer my opinion here, there will be others with other really good suggestions & ideas for you.

It might be a good idea to sit down with your doctor and be very honest about this. If he is unaware, then let him know you have run out of meds early and have taken them sometimes not for the pain, but for the "good feeling" they would give you.

Ask him to work with you on weaning/tapering off of the Norco and then work with you to find another way of managing your pain.

Another option might be to seek the help of an addictionologist. They are able to treat the pain issues as well as addiction issues.

Keep checking in because others will chime in and be able to offer help & support too!

Old 04-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
(male)

tomsocal2000 HB User

Well, I may just go see the doctor again although I just had an MRI concluded. I actually have discussed this with both my general physician and my Back guy.

As you can see, I found this site today when searching for addiction issues to Norco. Actually, it started out trying to find out how to make one pill more effective for a shorter amount of time. After a while, I told myself that I was crazy and switched subjects. This has been bothering me for a long time.

I have not smoked pot in 29 years and then I did very little of it since I was an athlete always needing to train. I wonder if Medical Marijuana is a better alternative. But I am not ready for that yet but if California makes it legal to have a 25 sf garden, hmmmmm.

I should mention that prior to Norco, I took Tyolenol w Codeine for the past 15 years but only 2 to 3 a day. My doctors assured me that was harmless, and I agree with them since I did quit easily for some periods of time. I took Oxcycotin for about a 5 month period which I found very addicitive but I whined myself off of that but that was terrible. Oxy is a great drug, it allowed me to work while waiting for surgery while I was in intense pain. The pain brought me to tears at times when I could not walk for a block, etc. It was so painful. Oxy is also a terrible and easy drug to get dependent on. I told my doctor that I would never take it again. I have bad reactions to Percocet but maybe good to some. I illucinate and colors seem to leave a trail when I turn my head...kind of like the Ipod commercial where the colors start dripping down the wall. It is kind of humerous but I had some terrible nights in a hospital thinking that the staff were trying to kill me and woke up my wife at 2 am a couple of days.

I think I was also a very heavy drinker but quit that completely about 12 months ago. My daughter gave me a lecture about Norco and Alcohol and I listened to her.

Tom

ps, sorry for babbling to all.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Welcome Tom!

I am so glad you found us. It sounds like you really are in quite the situation!!!!!! It sounds like you have real pain and need medication or some sort of pain treatment. It's amazing to me that you told your Dr. that you think you have a problem with the meds and he just told you to worry about that later. I guess I agree with the pp and would suggest sitting down with him again and letting him know that you have concerns and very valid ones about addiction. You have abused you meds and your honesty is wonderful. maybe there is another way or option they can try to treat your meds???? It's worth a shot though.

I wish you so much luck with you next surgery and I really hope you keep us updated. I will be thinking about you and say some prayers for your strength and healing!

Blessings to you. Give us an update when you can.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
(male)

66Brian HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsocal2000 View Post
I have been taking Norco 10/325 now for about 2 years. I am currently at 8 pills a day. The Norco is needed for chronic back problems resulting in 8 back operation. I have been having lumbar fusions so currently, I am fused from L3 to S1. My doctor has said that I will need another fusion on my next level but then, they will fuse from L1 down so it would be the end of fusions. Most recently, it has been 12 months since my last operation, but prior to that, I had 3 operations in 6 months. I am happy with what my doctor has done to give me the best life he can. I have had so many serious problems from back nerve issues such as severe sciatica, bladder issues, serious bowel problems, very bad left quadricept atrophy, and the typical nerve problems.

Now, I am sure I am addicted to Norco and I have told my doctor that and his comment has been to keep treating the pain for the time being and worry about the drug later. Do others think this is the right thing to do?

And then, what does a Doctor do to get me off Norco. I have heard that there are many medical things that they can do to help me.

Tom
If you have chronic pain, its not as easy as being taken off of a med, especially one taken for a long period. If the pain has gone away, you can worry then about getting off the painkiller. You can not go cold turkey. While others will disagree, deal with one issue at a time, if your pain can be managed with what you are on, what do u think will happen when u are off it..? doesn't work that way.. There are other meds that can be added (Gabapentin), they are not opiates, they will help, plus a small device that can be implanted in you back that has another name to it but lets call it "back pain pacemaker", only cause it gets called a pacemaker but its not for the heart.. it will work on most patients.. It REALLY works. If you have a regular pacemaker for your heart, maybe not. Don't be the hero, take the pain meds, be comfy or semi comfy, you can deal with the other issues later.. because after hydrocodon(sp??), is oxycodon(sp??), a step up, (the different brand names, generally have become synonymous with how much Acetaminophen..(tylenol) it has with it, the more painkillers pills you consume the less tylenol you really want in them.. then there is possibly one other med before (im not sure what it is) u hit demerol, after that is morphine, that's the max, if that doesn't suppress pain, you pretty much hit the limit, in what ever form its in, its worse than Norco..(addiction wise and not always tolerable by the patient.) There are different delivery systems, sustained release pills and in patches.. Yes, the painkillers work.. Can you mix them?, only and I do mean ONLY if a doctor says so, you don't get too experiment, just cause others have done it. If you are REALLY concerned with painkillers, your doctor is your first step about talking about it, a pain management doctor can give you a lot of input and give you options, but if the operations are eventually successful as in that fixes the pain, your doctor will then help you off the long term consumption of pain meds.. The damaged nerves, I am pretty sure when having a BM or such, is going to be worse than anything you might think a painkiller could do...Don't be the hero, take the pain meds, be comfy or semi comfy, you can deal with the other issues later.. one step at a time, take care, good luck.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
(male)

Norcoguy HB UserNorcoguy HB User

After long term use of Norco it just becomes more trouble then its worth,like for me its been 6 years...It really doesnt work anymore...only gives you a short burst of relief (maybe an hour) and you end up just being in pain until your next dose..I believe there is a cap on opiate pain killers, and once you reach it, your done with em, they just start doing more harm then good

Closed Thread