It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
(male)

SBMounty HB User
could use some help/advice/support

I to want to quit suboxone cold turkey. I have been on suboxone for 3 1/2 years and have tried many times to wean down but fail b/c I get w/d symptoms that set on quickly I feel (my tapers were very slow too so I know its not b/c I tapered too quickly). I have always felt strange on suboxone even when on the highest dose I've been on (8mg/day). I take it right when I wake up and feel by lunch time I'm already antsy, agitated, creepy/dirty feeling, and get hot flashes. I told my dr. and he said well maybe we need to get you on a higher dose, I don't want to go higher I want off this. I have no intentions of using again and just want off. I was on methadone b4 this and it was the same thing (I would take it in the am and then as the afternoon came I would slowly start feeling bad again). Everyday I feel bad towards the end of the day. I don't want a long drawn out taper b/c I cant take it at work (I got nuts and work mon-fri 7am 6:30pm). When I'm at work doing a slow taper Im so agitated and antsy I want to scream.
I was planning on taking a leave of absence from work and just stopping cold turkey. My dr said he would proscribe me with clonidine (blood pressure meds) and I was going to get some L-tyrosine (heard that helps?). If anyone knows anything else that would help for the really bad parts of the withdrawl (besides opiates) please let me know. My dr also said a few valiums would help the agitation. I just have to make sure Its only for a wk or so that I take them (I'm not trying to get addicted to them). Please let me know what you guys think about this plan. I know its going to be pure hell but I feel if I have a few other meds to help while I'm detoxing it wont be as bad (I just have to be diciplined as to not take the other meds for too long). What do you guys think????

Last edited by SBMounty; 04-10-2010 at 03:39 AM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
(male)

SBMounty HB User
Re: HELP !! Getting off of Suboxone

I need help getting off Suboxone as well. I have been on it for 3 1/2yrs and have tried many times to taper down slowly and always fail once I get to 2mgs/day and then resort back to my normal 8mgs/day. Even at the 8mgs/day I still don't feel right (I'm fine for a few hrs after I take it and then it slowly starts creeping up on me-the restless legs, agitation, hot flashes, and creepy/dirty felling). I don't know why the WD's come so fast?? I just want off this stuff and am thinking about just taking a leave of absence from my work for a month and just quiting cold turkey. I know its going to suck but I'd rather get it over with than having a long drawn out taper. When I do a taper I feel like I'm going crazy at work and don't understand the point of dragging it out. Everyone always tells me I'm probably tapering too fast but I go super slow (If I don't feel right at 8mgs/day why would a slow taper be any different?). I just want off this stuff!!!!! I agree it saved me in the beginning b/c it took away all cravings, helped me live a more normal life, and got me away from the whole drug scene but now I'm ready to be completely clean and just want to feel normal again. I don't know if anyone else goes through this like I do (the whole thing with after a few hrs I start getting WD's thing) but I hope someone can help me. thanks!!!

Last edited by SBMounty; 04-10-2010 at 03:38 AM. Reason: moved post from another thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User
Re: Quitting Suboxone Cold Turkey

Welcome Mounty!

I have never been on suboxone before but it actually is something I have been thinking more and more about. I commend you though for putting your mind to getting off the medication and doing so cold turkey. I cant imagine how that is going to feel. I would assume you would have to take a leave of absense from work.

I don't know why you would be going thru w/d after a few hours of taking the suboxone but I would assume it's because you didn't have a high enough dose like your Dr. said but again, I don't know.

I just wanted to wish you luck and offer you support! Please keep us posted thru your journey of recovery!

Blessings to you!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
(male)

fluffhead HB User

hi...i tried to kick suboxone at 2mg and had bad withdrawals and gave up. I have now been off of suboxone and all opiates for six weeks after a long taper. you don't seem to respond well to tapering, so good luck if you just jump off cold turkey. the real pain wont kick in until two or three (with some even four days later). I suggest you keep at tapering over quitting cold turkey. Every minor irritation and yuckiness you feel while tapering is payed forward when you finally stop for good. If you are interested in the method of my taper (when I stopped I experienced NO withdrawal symptoms, just let me know. Good luck to you either way. The most important thing is you want to do it. The rest is just details. : )

Old 04-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
(male)

SBMounty HB User

Yea an help on how you tapered would be great. I just dont understand why only after like 6 hrs I start to get W/D's??? Thats the reason I want to quit cold turkey b/c if I taper I feel like I'm just going to have a long drawl out taper and I feel like I'll be going crazy at work. I feel if I take a leave of absence for a month and just suffer for those couple weeks that that would be better then a less severe suffer drawn out over months and months. But I would def appreciate any suggetions as to how you did your taper. I just cant figure out why I start feeling W/D's at such a short time. If you could let me know what you did to taper I will def try to taper so that when I do stop cold turkey it will be less then 8mgs. I just dont think I can hadle a slwo taper that last months. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
(male)

fluffhead HB User

hi mounty! I wonder if maybe you're getting w/d symptoms after just six hours is psychological. I suggest this b/c subs have a tremendous half life (48-72 hours). at a dose like 8mg, you should be able to go two days before you actually experience withdrawal from the drug. I dunno but you might want to consider it.

my taper was long and methodical, but I experience no problems what so ever until i was down to the last dose before stopping, which was approximately an eigth of a 2mg pill every other day. The actual withdrawals were almost indetectable, like a mild cold, sneezing etc. and that was when I started to push the half life of the drug and skip days, ultimately getting used to just taking the trace final dose every other day.

From 8mg, you should reduce by an mg each step, and stay on that dose for two weeks to a month. It sounds like a pain in the ***, and it is, but it works. you have to take your time, be methodical, and disciplined.

Good luck to you whatever you do. Keep in touch!

Good luck to you if you decide to

Last edited by Administrator; 08-04-2010 at 09:06 AM.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:31 AM   #7
(male)

mikel94 HB User

I have been on suboxone for almost 3 years and am tapering down. I agree that it is probably psychological that you are w/d just a few hours later. suboxone stays in your blood for days! For example, if you were to quit cold turkey right now, you wouldn't feel the full force of w/d for like 2 or 3 days. This is specific to suboxone because other opiate drugs like oxycontin and heroin can give you w/d in the same day. The initial little burst felt (a bit of a spurt of energy, not really a "high") only last a couple hours i think that is what you are feeling and are just intensifying it in your head. I would definately try to taper down from 8mg if I were you but if you can do it cold turkey that is great. No need to taper if you can handle it, it just makes it a bit easier.

L-tyrosine is great I tried it before and I think it helped (even if it was really a placebo effect). There are alot of great detailed threads on these forums about detox plans; I would just search. Probably the biggest tip I would give for detox is try to stay active. It will be tough but try to exercise; even if just a walk. This will help your brain create natural 'happy' chemicals that you usually get from opiates (suboxone in this case).

Good luck and if you can take a leave of abscence that would be great. Definately worth it.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
(male)

SBMounty HB User

I appreciate all the advice and I've always thought it may be in my head but I feel like its very strange that I get hot flashes and my legs wont stay still. It probably always looks like I'm nervous b/s at work I'm always taping my leg. I don't crave suboxone in my head or anything its just I start feeling irritable and ichy. I live with girlfriend who doesn't understand any of this (she was a good girl and never messed with drugs and stuff) and I don't like being irritable aorund her b/c I know its not me its the suboxone making me feel this way. As soon as I take a tiny piece when I'm feeling bad, I feel better in like 1/2 hr.
I think I'm going to try and taper as low as I can and once I set up a leave of absence at work Im going to jump off cold turkey (now my problem is what I'm going to tell my work why I need a whole month off??? My girlfirend works for the company too so I know a lot of people are going to be asking where I went. Any suggestions on that one???) This is the worst!
I def can say that suboxone helped me get my life in order but its hell once you want to get off. The 3 1/2 yrs I've been on it I havent felt normal once b/c I always have some kind of lingering w/d's so I end up taking a small piece.
I also noticed that when I go to the gym I become very tired very quickly and sometimes get a sick feeling (this never happened when I wasnt on suboxone). I have read that suboxone lowers your testosterone levels so maybe thats why. I'm so sick of this stuff I just want off but I need my work to give me a leave of absence.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:45 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

blu_jay HB User

You don't want to go CT off the sub if possible. Taper...and plan. The sub has a half life of 37+ hours. Not to mention the staked half life of daily dosing. Depending on doses and times on the sub, most folks can reduce to single digit doses fairly quick. The sub seems to be most effective at around the 2mg point.

In the US, we don't have the temgesics available, so we have to cut the pills. Usually a good pill splitter will get them into quarters. From there, crushing the quarters and dividing the piles up into the needed dose will help.

Your dose schedule also helps..or hurts. If you're dosing multiple times, cut the last dose of the day first and work backwards towards the am dose. Try not to dose much closer then 3-4 hours B4 bedtime. If your doc is willing, switch to the subutex to eliminate the naloxone variable.
Tapering the sub, you're fighting dose and half life. So planning helps big time. Most folks won't 'feel' reductions for 2-3 days post reduction...physically. With the availability now of the generic sub it also lends itself to someone helping with a blind taper.

Once at the sub crumb stage (less then 1mg) daily, you can skip days or add time between each dose. The doc would serve you well to script some clonidine for at or near post jump. If you're planning time off to detox, don't plan the jump the same or next day. Give yourself a few days (3-5) for the staked half life to wind down. The acute stage will crest about 7-10 post jump. If needed, I can help with a reasonable taper plan..just let me know.

Godspeed.
Jay

Old 05-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #10
(male)

SBMounty HB User

I really appreciate all your info as you hae been the only one to seem to understand what I'm going through. I know I never should have split the doses throughout the day but it was the only way to make me feel normal without that jittery nervous feeling (of cource now I'm paying for it). This past sunday 9th I woke up and took 6mg of the suboxone and didnt take any other suboxone till Monday morning when I woke up. I've Continued taking the 6mg and plan on doing so for about 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I'm going to split the pill in half and take 4 mg for about 2 wks or so. Then down to 2mg for 2 wks or so. Then 1 mg for 2 wks (this is all dependent on how my body feels) Once I run out of my script Im going to go ask for the 2mg taqblets and enquire about getting the subutex instead of the suboxone. You mentioned subutex to eliminate the naloxone variable (what does that mean and what would that do?). I thought naloxone was just an opiate blocker? Could you please forward me the taper method you used? Does my plan soulnd like its too fast?
The thing is I think I will be starting a new job in July and I want to quit my current job at the end of May so once June comes around I can just go cold turkey (or at least thats the plan). I'm trying to taper the best I can so that when I decide to jump of cold turkey it wont be as bad as going cold turkey from 8mg. If I take some valium, tremadol, and ambein for the really bad part of the detox will that help? I know everyone here is giong to yell at me and say don't take it b/c Ill get addicted but I was only going to take right when I jump off cold turkey so I'm not going crazy. I live with my girlfirend who doesnt understand any of this (she's a good girl and doesnt understand when I get irritable and agitated form W/D's) Anyway please help, I appreciate any advice-thanks!!!!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:46 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

blu_jay HB User

The spliiting doses can help....you're already doing that, so keep that schedule.

The naloxone is one of the great debates....the bioavailabilty. It's not supposed to be absorbed sublingually....but experience shows us different. Put it this way....a lot of folks have eliminated side effects switching from the 'oxone to the 'tex. I never heard anyone eliminating it the other way.

By eliminating the pm dose. I meant to shave off that first, keeping the am dose to 'carry' you thru the day. But you're at 6mg now..not the 8.

So.In essence you've shaved off the first step already, by cutting the pm dose in half.
From 4mg/4mg=8
to 4mg/2mg=6
next 2mg/2mg=4
then 2mg/1mg=3
1mg/1mg....at around this or the previous reduction you can see where the 2mg pills will serve you better.

Up to this point (2mg) physically you should be able to reduce every 7-10 days. Allowing the staked half life to wind down and give yourself a little stable time.

At the 2mg point, make .5mg reductions..again starting/continuing with the pm dose. Putting you at 1mg/.5mg. This is the point you may need the most determination to follow thru. Most folks find the sub is most effective around the 2mg point..almost acting as a full agonist. So breaking thru the 2mg point will be a huge milestone.

When you get to the 1mg daily dose, change your am dosing schedule..even by an hour or so. It won't make much physical difference, but it'll give you the mental ammo for that familar time frame being dose free.

Depending how you're doing at that point(1mg-.5mg), you can start adding time between each dose...every 24 hours, then 26,28, and so on. Or alternating days on/off. Then jump with a comfort med such as clonidine(Britoflex if you're in the UK).

Last edited by blu_jay; 05-13-2010 at 01:48 AM.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
(female)

kristyyardley HB User

Hi, I know for me, I have been on suboxone for 1 1/2 now. And I am having a terrible time getting off, I'm still taking 12 mg and i hate the sweats and my teeth are going bad.
Anyways, to answer your question, I kicked methadone...twice, I completely stopped at 150 mg per day because I was fed up. I was 26 then, I'm 30 now.
When you decide in your heart that you are tired of the symptoms and you are done, then you are ready for anything.
I have heard that suboxone withdrawal does not last nearly as long as methadone. I laid in bed for 7 weeks staring at the wall, not eating, not sleeping, too weak to move. But when I was through it, it was amazing.
Methadone is evil, I'm still trying to figure out if suboxone is as well.
I wish you all the luck in the world. If you are ready then do it! Be strong!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
(female)

kristyyardley HB User

How do you cut your dose down by 1mg? I get 8 mg tablets, it's very hard to tell how much you are taking. you know?

Old 05-14-2010, 02:04 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

blu_jay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristyyardley View Post
How do you cut your dose down by 1mg? I get 8 mg tablets, it's very hard to tell how much you are taking. you know?
If you're at 12, you can cut down to single digits pretty quick. Physically, you should be able to get down to around half your daily dose by cutting out 2mg every 3-5 days.

After you cut the pills into quarters (about 2mg) crush the 2mg chunks into piles of dust. Dividing that pile into half..gives you 1mg, and so on. Use a matchbook, or fold of a paper to funnel the 'dust' inder your tongue. Yes, tooth problems are common with long term use...as well as a lot of other issues.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #15
(male)

SBMounty HB User

Is that too fast (cutting 2mg's every 3-5 days?) I was always told to taper slowly (I mean I know everyones body is different't but 2mg's every 3-5 dyas seems pretty fast considering suboxone has such a long half life) I don't know could someone let me know how long it takes for your body to adjust to a taper? Currently I'm at 4mg's/day (I take a half a pill right when I get up to go to work). How long should I stay on that 4mg before I cut it down to 3mg's? I've only been on 4mg's for a bout a week or so. I was on 6mg's before that and cut it down to 4mg's (it wasn't too bad but still uncomfortable)

Closed Thread