It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
(female)

kitty13 HB User
1 year being clean!

Hello everyone

This week I passed my 1 year clean mark. I was hooked on opiates & benzo's for the past eight years. I will be going to an NA meeting tonight (with my husband & son) to my keytag!
It's been a great year, lots of happy times & sad, but I got to experience all the different feelings that I haven't felt for years. There were some tough times when I thought just one fix and these feelings will go away, but I never picked up, no matter what. I just take it one day at a time. The Serenity prayer has gotten me through many a hard time.
I am struugling alot this week. My daughter, also an addict, was sent to jail, pending a pre-trial date. My focus has been on her all week and not on myself. I know that anniversry dates are triggers for some people, so I need to put the focus back on myself. I know my daughter is in a place now where she can't use and has alot of time to think about her past actions. She has a long road ahead of her whatever the outcome of her legal troubles.
I really need to come here often and read all of your experiences. To those of you who are just starting your journey I congratulate you, and know that you can do it! Thanks for letting me share.

Kitty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: 1 year being clean!

Hello Kitty

All good wishes on this special day for you. Special for you and all who love you. We will all be celebrating with you when you pick up that tag tonight.

Life truly is a series of feelings. While we must experience the sad ones in our sobriety, we also get to experience the joyous and happy ones, too. There is a balance to life if we allow it.

As you focus on your own sobriety, the example is being set for your daughter. What better source of hope than seeing her Mom able to conquer addiction? Our addictions certainly impact all those in our lives, but so does our sobriety. Stay strong, stay focused, be well.

reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
(male)

islandjohnny HB User

Kitty……. I too want to wish you the very best tonight, as-well-as a firm stroll through this life. Perplexing as it seems, we genuinely want to enjoy life with happy feelings, enjoy love ones around us, yet we occasionally go to great lengths to drive that happiness away.

Wishing you and yours the very best and although the path through life can be a challenging one, with the help of true faith, and knowing that we are loved can help us walk tall and fight off our demons.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

Congratulations Kitty, I hope you have had a good week as I know how hard it is to get this far. I had my 8th a month ago and felt very happy to get this far. I know also that we can't let down our guard so I hope you are meeting a lot just now and it is important for the first few years as you learn to live a different life.
Allan

Old 04-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
(female)

Angelique43 HB User

Congrats Kitty ! ! ! And i will be praying for your daughter.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Congratulations Kitty,

I hope the next year is filled with love, health and happiness!! I will add your daughter to my prayers tonight. My daughters (four and seven) and I will say a special prayer for the struggling, and hope that they are able to make good decisions, that put those struggling on a good path to recovery.

Good luck.

With admiration,
emsmom

Old 04-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
(female)

kitty13 HB User

Thank you everyone for your congrats and prayers for my daughter(25). It felt so good to pick up that keytag last night! It was an experience for my husband and son(33). They have never been to an NA meeting. Last year my husband promised me that when I made it to a year he would go. I think they both came out of there with a better understanding of what my daughter and I go through every day. Anyway, it was really great to have them there and to see how proud they were.
I'll be around, reading everyone's posts and writing when I can. Thanks again!

Kitty

Old 04-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Kitty,

CONGRATS! What an incredible accomplishment! I am so glad your family went to support you because honestly they should be so very proud of you.

Thank you for sharing this great news with us because it's spreads great inspiration to us all!!!!

I will keep you and your daughter in my prayers! Addiction is a nasty demon but your daughter has a great role model in you. As the old saying goes... Actions speak louder than words and you are doing it!!!!

Many blessings to you and cheers to many more sober anniversaries!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

I hope your daughter has reached her rock bottom though when we think this is it there is always a bit further. But I hope she has. Also it is fabulous when a close person to you comes along to a birthday meeting so they can see for them selves the lows that other members have reached and also how good life can be in sobriety. I also will have her in my thoughts. Allan

Old 04-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #10
(female)

jsuzdak HB User

congrats!!

Closed Thread