It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
(male)

trahan HB User
lorazepam for sleep

Hi, to all of you all,I am on 1mg lorazepam,and i do not want to get hooked on it.I take it so i can sleep at night. if i wake up during the night ,my brain starts thinking of everthing, and i can not go back to sleep,help

Old 04-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User
Re: lorazepam for sleep

Do you take it every night? Do you only take it that one time at night for sleep?

If you do not have an addictive personality, I would not worry unless you start to use this drug in any way other than as prescribed. But if I were you (and I sort of am as I also take something for sleep) I would skip the occasional night when you can allow yourself to not get good sleep. Allow yourself a restless night.

I'd also play with how you take it. For instance, try falling asleep without the drug. It's bad to become dependent on the pill to need to fall asleep. Then, have it halved by your bedside, and take half when you wake up in the night and the brain starts racing.

I don't worry about addiction as I often test things. For instance, if I have a cold or flu bug, I do not take my sleep aid for maybe a week or 10 days. And there's never any negative effect except for not sleeping.

There are ways to watch that you do not become addicted. So many folks who write hear say the first step is moving beyond the minimum usage or as prescribed and going for more. Watch for that and try to shoot in the other direction, using it as a tool to get sleep but be willing to be inconvenienced occasionally going without it to be safe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

Hi -
I became addicted to diazepam just by taking one pill nightly for sleep. You could avoid becoming addicted to benzodiazapines by taking no more than 2
pills a week; but this would leave you with anxious nights for the rest of the week.
Rather than taking the chance of becoming addicted , why don't you ask your doctor for Trazadone. It is not habit-forming and was once used for anxiety; however, doctors found that it caused sleepiness. Now it is mostly prescribed to be used nightly. I have been taking 1/2 of a pill nightly and find that it allows me to sleep peacefully even when I'm worried about something. There are many posts about it on this Board. It's worth a try!
good luck... mabent

Old 04-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
(female)

AnotherDayDone HB User

I agree w Mabent about the Trazodone. I'm a chronic insomniac...I take 1-2 on nights I'm restless. It puts me to sleep but I always wake up at least 1x and sometimes I take another one since it seems to only last 2-4hrs in me. I have Ambien for when I haven't slept in days and I can be out of consciousness for 7+ hours. That stuff is a nightmare, which is why I rarely take it.

I'm on Lorazapam .5mg 1-2 day. I have major anxiety. I was on Klonopin for 6 months but it made me suicidal so last Summer I was switched. I don't usually miss a night now-a-days...when I quit it about 2 months ago (without Drs ok because I too did not want to be addicted), I started having major anxiety during the day which is why I can now take another one during the day but I only take 1/2, but only if I'm desperate. I was told to not stop it yet. So I don't think I'm mentally addicted, but physically is very possible.

Oh there is this tea called Tension Tamer by Celestial Seasonings, it has Kava Kava in it. That stuff really helps to mellow me out and sometimes even puts me to sleep. It's worth a try! A less strong tea would be Chamomile which seems to work ok for my kids but doesn't touch me.

Closed Thread