It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
(female)

tandycipps HB User
Anyone recovering from drugs please help, need information

My 16 yo grandson has been clean for 6 1/2 months. He used drugs since he was 14 we found out. He just got out of rehab/bootcamp and is doing great except he keeps having bouts of depression. He says he doesn't have anything to be depressed about but I know it has something to do with drugs causing his seritonin to get low or something like that. I would love to hear anything that might be encouraging to tell him. The rehab/bootcamp he went to was the best thing that could have happened to him. He has a very supportive family and a good home life and he really wants to stay clean but I just hate to see him having to deal with the depression.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
(female)

sweetlove88 HB User
Re: Anyone recovering from drugs please help,need information

Hello, Frist of all let me just say congrats to your grandson for his clean time. Honestly recovery doesnt start until they come home. As to your situation, i can only give suggestion that helped me. I have recently came off herion and pain killers, its a hard process but i made it through. The thing is with drug addiction is that even after we come off the drugs we still have to deal with the mental part of it, witch in my opion is worse then coming off the drugs themselves. It might be helpful to get him into N/A meeting and to go to some type of consuling. Tell him to be honest and let them know whats going on in his mind. The consuler will evaulate him, and depending on his simtoms put him on some kid of depression medicine to cope with whats going on in his mind. This is a battle he will have to take on for the rest of his life, but if he gets the tools now to cope and deal this it, he should be sucessful. Im happy to hear that he has a great support system, and that will truly help him thru this tough time. Best of luck!!
*ashlee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
(female)

tandycipps HB User
Re: Anyone recovering from drugs please help,need information

Ashlee,
Thanks so much for your help. He is on lexapro now but hopefully the depression will lesson with time. We might see about getting him into N/A or some kind of councelling.
Take care,
Beverly

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-27-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 04-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User
Re: Anyone recovering from drugs please help, need information

Hello and Welcome!

I think addiction counseling or just counseling in general would really help him out. As you know, after getting off of drugs, a person goes thru a pretty major depression and it lasts longer for some thank others. He may be finding life more boring now with out the drugs... I know that is something I struggle with....

I think it's GREAT he is 6 1/2 months clean!!! THAT IS AWESOME and should be MAJORLY celebrating!!!! It's great you have all gotten to the bottom of this before it went on any longer! There is so much hope and he has such a wonderfully full life ahead of him to lead. I think the counseling would be great though!

Please keep us posted!
Many blessings to you and yours!

Closed Thread