It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
(female)

tkg1971 HB User
Unhappy cant sleep HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

My husband and I have been having so much trouble sleeping. We are taking Sleepy Time by Tylenol...but it is making us restless. We are already restless but we are desperate for sleep.

Any suggestions? We are doing pretty good other than no sleep. But we could really use a good 8 hours of steady sleep.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
(female)

meshel90 HB User
Re: cant sleep HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Have you tried Melatonin?? It's OTC and seemed to work pretty well for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
(female)

tkg1971 HB User

yes it is not working. We are so desperate but leary of trying anything like xanax or valium.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
(male)

init0 HB User

I always try 2 to 4 Benadryl OTC when I can't sleep. Always knocks me right out. Try that in combination with the melatonin and it might do the trick. You can also try some NyQuil maybe, hey whatever works!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
(female)

tkg1971 HB User

Hey I agree. I am even tempted to drink some wine. I am a light weight drinker but I hate alcohol. Nyquil makes me restless and benadryl gives me awful nightmares like tylenol pm.

I bought some Valerian root and thought maybe that would help me.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-29-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 04-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
(male)

musicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB User

I have chronic insomnia and have tried every prescription under the sun. I strongly advise to stay away from the benzos and Ambien. They may help at first but they will make things much worse in the long run. It is ok to use them very sparingly but they should never be used on a frequent basis. I can not take benadryl or anything that contains that active ingredient as it does the exact opposite to me. It makes me beyond jittery and truly miserable. So in summary, the best thing to do is make sure you have good health and sleep hygiene. This includes exercise, good diet and avoidance of caffeinated drinks.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
(male)

unreal HB Userunreal HB User

don't use wine or any alcohol as alcohol is a unique drug that is a sedative immediately but is a stimulant after a few hours.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:33 AM   #8
(female)

tkg1971 HB User

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:59 AM   #9
(female)

madhen17 HB User

I don't know how healthy this is but I sometimes take Excedrin pm. Its has more of the active ingredent than tylenol and the pain reliever in it helps with my achy muscles. What I do is take 2 @ 6pm then another 2 @ 8 pm. Then I take a hot bath and read to relax my mind. As soon as I feel tired, I go straight to bed and try to keep my mind blank or if I can't then I'll listen to an audio book or music. Anything to keep my mind engaged without actually thinking. One thought just leads to another, right? Then I try to just zone out. You just have to try and stay positive. When you wake -up think, wow, 3 hrs sleep is better than nothing....and the next morning, wow, 5 hrs sleep is way better than 3hrs. Soon your body and mind will start working together.

Take care,
Heidi

Old 05-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #10
(female)

tkg1971 HB User

Heidi,

I feel the same way. I mean when I get any kind of good sleep be it an hour or three hours I am excited.

Tiffany

Old 05-23-2010, 03:11 AM   #11
(female)

Conceptual HB User

2ml diazepam once a while if it is regulated, and melatonin 3ml starting together and then once a while, I found works well, but also you need to know what it is that is stressing you out, or if you do enough exercise to assist your body and mental state to relax. I have found that a mixed drink of warm milk and meshed bananas prior to going to bed, also assists, but perhaps you owe to look at what else is going on in your daily routine or lacking off. Talking too much may make you....for example, being too alert, or thinking too much overactivating your brain, where as if you stay quite and watch a little tv lying down, may make you fall asleep.
There are some CD products which assist sleep, one of the many, is called white noise.
It has synthecising of many frequencies, which relax your mind, blocks out noises or even the inner thinking/noises etc. and it does work. Foccussing on this "hissing" noise just makes you fall asleep. Made both for aggitated babies and adults.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
(female)

abuela2302 HB User

try taking 3 capsules of l-tryptophan about and hour before sleep. This helps replace the seritonin levels in your gut (which is where most of the seritonin is manufactured). You will both sleep like babies and will not wake up with a sleep hangover.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
(male)

wrencher99 HB User

where do i get some of that l-tryptophan?

Closed Thread