It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
(female)

Abby2010 HB User
Exclamation hydrocodone withdrawl-restless legs

I've been taking about 30 mgs of Hydrocodone everyday for 2 years some for pain but mostly recreational. I ran out Monday and I'm so tired of depending on these things so I quit cold turkey. This is my 3rd day without and I'm feeling very anxious and my legs feel like they're going to run out from under me. I couldn't sleep at all last night. I was so tired til I laid down and then I was flopping around like a worm in hot ashes. Today I'm all wound up and can't be still and I feel like I'm being smothered. My breathing is fine I just feel so short of breath. I've always had some control over me popping those things and I limited myself to a certain amount a day. I, for some reason, thought that I wouldn't have withdrawls since I wasn't taking as much as most people but I was wrong and now I don't know if I'm going to be able to detox on my own. What can I do about my legs and anxiety and how long does this typically last? I don't want to take anything that will interfere with coming off of them and I don't want to walk up in my doctor's office and be like "oh by the way I'm addicted to Hydros".

Last edited by Abby2010; 05-27-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: hydrocodone withdrawl-restless legs

There are a few things you can do to help mitigate your withdrawl symptoms.....

Tylenol or Advil for aches and pains

Imodium if your gut is bothering you

Taking two unisom sleep gells at bedtime can help you get some sleep

If you're at day 3, you're over the worst, every day now will be a bit easier than the last, so hang in there

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
(female)

madhen17 HB User

When I quit, the restless legs were the worst! It helped me to take HOT baths or showers. I also would run in place or do jumping jacks to tire out my legs before I layed down. It took me about a week to finally start feeling like myself again. Hang in there and be nice to yourself. Your body and mind have alot of healing to do. It will all be worth it, YOU'RE worth it

Old 05-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
(female)

Abby2010 HB User

Thanks and I can't wait for it to be over and I can be back to normal. I'm thinking this could be the time for me to take up biking.

Last edited by Abby2010; 05-27-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
(female)

firelvr HB User

When I had restless legs I took this stuff called Restful Legs. It's made by Hylands. I got it at Walgreens. They are little dissolving pills you put under your tongue.... They helped..... I hope you find relief soon sweetie! I know what your going through!

Old 05-28-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mom2010 HB User

Hello...
I also experienced severe restless leg syndrome when I quit. Tonic water has quinine in it, that you can no longer buy over the counter. It works wonders. Good luck and it DOES get better. I hope you are also in counceling. I have been and I actually LOVE group sessions. Its nice to know you arent alone. I am also very happy I started Suboxone.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
(female)

Abby2010 HB User

Thanks you all. I looked up the Restful Legs and ordered some express. On the tonic water, I bought some today and am going to definitely try that tonight. I thought the restlessness would be over by now but it seems to be getting even more annoying. I tried Melatonin last night with very little relief. When I laid down, my legs weren't as restless but my mind raced all night. Sometimes I get so frustrated I just feel like if I only had one more to break little pieces off of for just a little taste then I'd be fine but I know it doesn't work that way. Four days may not be very long to some people but it feels like forever to me right now and I don't want to start this whole process over again. If I were still taking them, I would have already taken about 15 during those four days and that opens my eyes to how bad it actually was. I thought I was in control but when I look back and see that a script of 30 did good to last me a week then I feel ashamed of myself for letting it get that bad. Running out this time made me feel so out of control and scared thinking that I couldn't get through the day without them and I knew it was gonna get even worse if something didn't change. The more you take the more you have to take to achieve the same high and I can only imagine what my liver would look like if I'd done this to myself for another year.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
(female)

MvingForwrd HB User

Hi Abby! Congratulations on making it this far. I hope that you're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

If you don't mind me asking, did you experience other sensations in your legs besides the restlessness? I'm tapering from hydrocodone, but quickly, as I have very few pills left. I have the restlessness more in my arms than in my legs, especially at night. My legs are going through more of a general discomfort, but sometimes pretty heavy muscle pain. I'm not sure if the muscle pain is a WD symptom, or if it's an offshoot of my generalized anxiety disorder (which can cause muscle aches).

Old 05-31-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Try taking a Unisom tonight, see if that helps you get a decent nights rest.

Best of luck

Old 06-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

congrats on ANY days without your DOC. that IS always something to be proud of, trust me. sometimes the RLS crap IS what can send people right back where they were so you have to simply try and get thru this part of things. one huge little help is "natures little muscle relaxer", magnesium? you can take this in pill form and also try taking a nice hot relaxing bath in what are called 'epsom salts"? the epsom IS pure granulated mag and nothing else and it also will absorb directly into the muscles too once those pores open up from the heat of the water in the bath. this is something i used way back when for my RLS crap i had as well and i have to use now every night before bed since my sp cord injury gave me severe spasticity? it does help, alot in some cases just to really help relax muscles. i would at least buy a bag of epsom, which you can actually obtain at any drug store and simply try it and see how it works for YOU. and it does not cost all that much either. and the mag suppliments can also be bought fairly cheaply too. just something that i have tried for me and it does help some in at least taking the 'edge" off so one can actually sleep?

good luck with this hon and i DO hope things can continue for you in this positive direction. just do not allow some side effects to once again dictate TO you what you do. this IS what you are trying to get away from by even making that decision to taper off this crap, taking away what is and has been controlling YOU. please keep us posted abby. hang in there, this too shall pass. marcia

Old 06-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
(male)

amprobe HB User

My wife is giong thru the same thing right now. She is at day 7, but was taking 18 hydrocodone 7.5 per day and quit cold turkey. She is experiencing the same thing. vitiam b6 has helped with the no energy problem. drink lots of water and seek some one to talk to.

Closed Thread